1/72 Revell King Tigers - Abandoned

BIG X

I didn't realise until late last night that the build threads were getting going.  So if I may just 'lay down a marker' for these bad boys...

REVVI-001.jpg

They have been sat in the cupboard stash for a few months - waiting for this GB to 'kick off'.  I'll get some sprue shots before the weekend, but the vague idea is to do them as a 'matching' set.  They will be strictly OOB and a 'just for fun' project - as my mojo has been a little lacking of late.

Hopefully the 'team spirit' of a GB will give me the KUTA I need at the moment.

See you at the weekend and good luck everyone,

Steve

• Like 8

I’m tempted to follow your lead and dig mine out of the stash. In the meantime- CAMPEONES, CAMPEONES, OLE, OLE, OLE (and repeat)

• Like 1

Hi Steve. Good to see you here. Looking forward to following more of your fantastic 1/72nd scale modelling. Hope the mojo stays with you for these!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 2:21 PM, BIG X said:

They will be strictly OOB and a 'just for fun' project - as my mojo has been a little lacking of late.

Hopefully the 'team spirit' of a GB will give me the KUTA I need at the moment.

My thoughts exactly Steve. I'm trying something similar so I hope it works for us both. 👍

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to Three wee Kings... 1/72 Tiger II's

I had better not neglect this build - in favour of my monster Tamiya Tiger.  You may noticed I have changed the thread title - can you see what I've done...

Anyway  Here is the sprue from one of them...

REVVI-002.jpg

...and here is one after I tidied up a bit...

REVVI-003.jpg

I did a comparison a few weeks ago against the Tamiya....

REVVI-004.jpg

The Revells have a lot of the engine compartment 'bits' already moulded in place...

REVVI-005.jpg

...and I did a turret comparison too...

REVVI-006.jpg

The hooks for the Revell are simply moulded on and a bit 'indistinct' - I 'may' lop them off and replace them with some wire hoops - but it is early days and I'll have too see how I get on.

I'm off to do some 'proper' chopping and sanding - I'll need my specs though.

Catch you later - Steve

• Like 5

I spent a couple of hours last night chopping up the wheel rims and neatly popping them in little pots - over the 3 kits this came to 108 wheels halves - a bit mind numbing - but hopefully worth the effort.  I'll join and sand them hopefully tomorrow night.

All the best - Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

over the 3 kits this came to 108 wheels halves - a bit mind numbing - but hopefully worth the effort.

All the best - Steve

And there's me worrying abpout a mere 96 wheels - who said Tigers are easy?

That's a good bit of work you've put in there Steve

Good luck

• Haha 2

Hi Steve,

and I get depressed when I have to paint 6 aircraft wheels.... I must atone of my impure thoughts! By sometime next year you should have finished painting the rims...

Didn't you once said something about life being too short, or something like that?

Having had my bitch, this GB really gives me the itch to build a tank again...

Have a lot of fun.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over a week ago I chopped and prepared all my wheel halves - but they have sat on the desk - waiting some attention - as I got diverted by a Blitzbuild Jagdpanther and the larger Tamiya Tiger.  Time for some concentration and a bit of glue...

The first set went together quicker than I thought - just quick setting glue and a quick push together...

REVVI-008.jpg

A quick comparison between 1/72 to 1/35...

REVVI-009.jpg

...anyway - on with the rest...

REVVI-010.jpg

...and a short while later...

REVVI-011.jpg

...now the tricky bit is adding the front spindles - these tiny little fellows...

REVVI-014.jpg

There are 24 in total and they pop out in front of the outmost wheels like this...

REVVI-015.jpg

That is the job for the rest of the morning along with the sprockets and idlers...

REVVI-012.jpg

That should keep me busy.

Thanks for popping by - Steve

• Like 4

That's "wheely" coming along steve!  I'll get me :coat:

Must say the detail on the 1/72 wheels looks none too shabby compared to the 1/35 ones....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

That's "wheely" coming along steve!  I'll get me :coat:

Must say the detail on the 1/72 wheels looks none too shabby compared to the 1/35 ones....

Cheers Matey - I'm almost finished on the wheels / spindles / idlers / sprockets...  162 parts over 3 kits :doh:I was hoping to get on with something a bit more 'interesting' - then I remembered the track links - 18 per track - that's another 108 pieces in total - :mental:fun eh :lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Feel for you on those wheels & tracks Steve, but, at least some come in lengths

Oh it's all good stuff Robert - here is where I got to before lunch...

The connections of the sprues to the sprockets were nearly an accident waiting to happen - it's a good job I popped my specs on, as they are located on the sprocket teeth...

REVVI-016.jpg

I dodged that bullet though - it was the same with the back of the sprockets...

REVVI-017.jpg

REVVI-018.jpg

so - on to the idlers...

REVVI-019.jpg

three parts - with locating pins - nicely done...

REVVI-020.jpg

REVVI-021.jpg

I'm really glad I bought these Tamiya precision cutters - 30 quid well spent - especially when it came to snipping the spindles...

REVVI-022.jpg 

A tedious little job - the spindle fits into a VERY shallow recess in the wheel middle...

REVVI-024.jpg

a TINY spot of quick set...

REVVI-025.jpg

It took a short while - but I got there in the end...

REVVI-026.jpg

Whilst they harden up it's time for a quick snack of a couple of Spam muffins - with brown sauce.  Next door's cat spotted me munching through the front window...

REVVI-027.jpg

He's fond of a bit of Spam and has a nose like a blood hound - not today Mr Kato - not today...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Time for a mid afternoon update.  The wheels are all neatly tubbed up again - before they go missing...

REVVI-028.jpg

The hull features they side sections - which glue onto the hull later - which makes things easy enough to work with...

REVVI-030.jpg

The instructions logically say the 4 'inside' wheels go on first...

REVVI-031.jpg

...though it does show gluing the spindles on at this point.  The diagram is a little misleading as it seems to imply the wheel has a hole that goes all the way through and the spindle somehow attaches to the hull spikes.  I'm glad I got mine on earlier as this method could leave you with some very soft and wobbly parts all moving around and not aligning properly.

part one complete...

REVVI-032.jpg

Whilst these set I have separated the tracks...

REVVI-029.jpg

I'm going to prime and paint them on the sprue - which is a first for me - as my head tells me I'll be gluing paint to paint later on - but other folk do it and seem to get on OK - so here we go...

REVVI-033.jpg

...right - back to the slog...

Thanks for looking in - it may be going slow - but we'll get there - Steve

• Like 4