1/72 Revell King Tigers - Abandoned

BIG X

OH BULLARDS!!!!!!

REVVI-034.jpg

...and I'm not talking about the beer - my world has just come crashing down round my ears - nothing new there I hear you say.

I've just realised I've glued the idlers in place - as per the instructions - but I really wanted them loose - so I could position all those fiddly tracks in place before fixing them in position.

Keep calm - count to 10 - deep breaths etc :doh:

• Sad 3

Great progress on this mate and well done for remaining sane whilst getting all those wheels ready.

Think I would probably have gone completely bonkers cleaning all those up :mental:

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

OH BULLARDS!!!!!!

REVVI-034.jpg

...and I'm not talking about the beer - my world has just come crashing down round my ears - nothing new there I hear you say.

I've just realised I've glued the idlers in place - as per the instructions - but I really wanted them loose - so I could position all those fiddly tracks in place before fixing them in position.

Keep calm - count to 10 - deep breaths etc :doh:

It'll be alright - I always stick all the wheels on, then struggle my bottom off to fit the tracks (I never learn).

If you've used the Tamiya extra quick, another application sometimes softens it so parts can be removed, but there could be the risk of snapping the mounting arm off

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

If it is only the idlers, you should be OK - the sprockets would be less forgiving (teeth).

Plastic glue seems to work through acrylic paint in a way that it never did with enamels, paint first then glue *should* be fine.

When you come to glue the tracks, you want to catch them when they are stable but still flexible - I've had link and length tracks fall apart as I tried to wrap them onto a model, only to find the same batch stiff as a board a week later.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, badger said:

Think I would probably have gone completely bonkers cleaning all those up :mental:

All the best

Ben

...you mean I should have cleaned them all up :whistle: they got a very light sanding - but I put the rough bits top and bottom - to hopefully be disguised by the tracks :blush: :lol:

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

...you mean I should have cleaned them all up :whistle: they got a very light sanding - but I put the rough bits top and bottom - to hopefully be disguised by the tracks :blush: :lol:

Genius! 

If not there's always mud!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

Glad that's not just me. Never mind "It's invisible, but I'll know", if it's invisible, it never happened :D 

Andy

Stranger to fastidiousness

• Haha 4

• BIG X changed the title to BIG X - Three wee Kings

Happy Saturday Folks

A quick update on the 3 little Revells.  I like the way Revell have designed the sides - so you can get the wheels and tracks in place - before you attach them to the main hull...

REVVI-035.jpg

As I mentioned earlier I inadvertently glued the idlers in place - so I'll need to be careful when putting the individual track links on - but I did remember to leave the sprockets off - so at least that gives me some 'wiggle room.

Primer is on...

REVVI-037.jpg

REVVI-038.jpg

and the tracks have received a coat of Gunmetal...

REVVI-036.jpg

I can put this task off for a short while - but I can't put it off forever - so I need to get the dunkelgelb on the wheels and start sticking track bits on soon.

Thanks for dropping by - Steve

• Like 5

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:20, BIG X said:

...time for a quick snack of a couple of Spam muffins - with brown sauce.  Next door's cat spotted me munching through the front window...

REVVI-027.jpg

He's fond of a bit of Spam and has a nose like a blood hound - not today Mr Kato - not today...

Since catching me munching on Spam muffins the other day - Mr Kato from next door has almost 'moved in' - he's in the living room now - claiming he's only waiting for the footy to come on the telly - but...

TAMVI-071.jpg

TAMVI-072.jpg

...he seems to know I'm having a southern fried chicken salad for tea - and he isn't waiting for the salad bit - naughty Mr Kato :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

That's properly made me chuckle.

Seems like Mr Kato is very at home there and has you well trained!

Excellent progress today as well!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Not a good morning I'm afraid - I've beggared up both sides of one set of tracks.  The Revell instructions are - confusing / upside down / damn right wrong - they would have you sticking sprocket holed pieces to sprocket hole pieces.  I also think pre-painting the tracks and wheels was a mistake.  I nearly threw all three kits in the bin about an hour ago - I'm really tee-d off.

GRRR - Steve

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Not a good morning I'm afraid - I've beggared up both sides of one set of tracks.  The Revell instructions are - confusing / upside down / damn right wrong - they would have you sticking sprocket holed pieces to sprocket hole pieces.  I also think pre-painting the tracks and wheels was a mistake.  I nearly threw all three kits in the bin about an hour ago - I'm really tee-d off.

GRRR - Steve

Been there SO many times mate....Keep at it!

54 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Stick with it Steve, things always look better a day later.

I'm off to Brighton tomorrow for a 'boys night out' - things might look better by Wednesday perhaps...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

I also think pre-painting the tracks and wheels was a mistake.  I nearly threw all three kits in the bin about an hour ago - I'm really tee-d off.

You obviously don't believe in my method of painting and weathering then!?

Shame about the actual construction of the tracks. Maybe that can be saved, with, as mentioned, lots of mud, plus tall grass and handily close brick walls etc?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I'm off to Brighton tomorrow for a 'boys night out' - things might look better by Wednesday perhaps...

I'm doing Edinburgh with a few mates in a couple of weeks, probably be the same for me too, we did Cardiff last year, phhhhf heavy that, chin up

Sorry to hear about your track problems Steve - seemed to be going really well as well.

Whilst I don't think I have any Revell tracks spare, I have got at least one set of Trumpeter King Tiger vinyl tracks if you want them?

Hope you enjoy Brighton 

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, badger said:

Sorry to hear about your track problems Steve - seemed to be going really well as well.

Whilst I don't think I have any Revell tracks spare, I have got at least one set of Trumpeter King Tiger vinyl tracks if you want them?

Hope you enjoy Brighton 

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben - That is a very generous offer - but I think I may retitle the thread 'two wee kings' though.  I'll sleep on it and see if I can attempt a 'fix' when I get back from Brighton.

Thanks Mate,

Steve

• Like 1