Sturmmörser - completed

Gosh I had almost forgotten about this one (he secretly wishes he had!!  :wall:  ) and only remembered when I saw the threads go up.

I’m not doing well with my AFV builds at the moment, am batting 1 from 3, not good at all.

I probably should have gone for something normal and safe but this vehicle really caught my interest. I had hoped to be building a resin model of her but I got piped at the post on evilBay (ok I sort of forgot about it), but then one of these showed up at a ridiculous price so I couldn’t help myself.

IMG_2602-L.jpg

The box is completely packed with bits, I pulled them all out to look at and now I can’t get the top to go on properly again!

IMG_2603-L.jpg

It’ll be a OOB build with no extras…..ok new tracks from Friulmodel (when I can remember where I put them), the kit ones look diabolical to build!

I’m going to try these masks as I really like this camo pattern, will be interesting to see how I go.

IMG_2604-L.jpg

I really don’t know how I’m going to go with this build as I already have a pretty full schedule, but it’ll be something I can work on in between other build….I mean how hard can it be??? :whistle:

I didn't know that there were only a few BMF bolts that held the top on these, and they were sort of successful at what they could do.....really blow things up!

• Like 8

Those Ryefield models do look good, and I'll follow your build with interest.

Will you going with the full interior TR, or save time by skipping past that bit for the build?

53 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I’m going to try these masks as I really like this camo pattern, will be interesting to see how I go.

IMG_2604-L.jpg

Be interested to see how you get on with those masks, I've been looking their product, but shipping them back here seems incredibly expensive.

• Thanks 1

That's a great looking kit! Can't wait to see it in progress. I was thinking of doing Tamiya's 1/48 version but I'm going to go more mainstream with a 1/48 late version E Tiger 1.

Hope you have more luck getting this one completed.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Flippin eck rich,  this is a super kit!, you've got a lot on your plate now 🤓, along  with your other gb's, this one is an absolute time consumer,  a big un for a gb, not only single link tracks but individual styrene pins if I'm not mistaken, ambush camo will top it off, (you nailed the viggen splinter you'll walk the ambush camo) can't wait 

.. Just noticed upon closer inspection of your masks not the ambush option your going with,, still be good

Edited by Hewy
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Rich, this looks as though it will keep you on your toes. Hopefully you will have success with this one.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Those Ryefield models do look good, and I'll follow your build with interest.

Will you going with the full interior TR, or save time by skipping past that bit for the build?

Be interested to see how you get on with those masks, I've been looking their product, but shipping them back here seems incredibly expensive.

I'll go full interior, have never done one before so it maybe time to stretch myself.........famous last words!

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Flippin eck rich,  this is a super kit!, you've got a lot on your plate now 🤓, along  with your other gb's, this one is an absolute time consumer,  a big un for a gb, not only single link tracks but individual styrene pins if I'm not mistaken, ambush camo will top it off, (you nailed the viggen splinter you'll walk the ambush camo) can't wait 

.. Just noticed upon closer inspection of your masks not the ambush option your going with,, still be good

yeah but that's normal for me....least i'll keep me from raiding the stash and trying to start something else as well.......which I normally do if I run out of stuff to do.

The kit tracks were the first to go, they look frightening, I had a wee play with them ages ago.You wee little plastic pins to fit, plus you have to fit the little guides as well!! Much simpler to get some lovely Fuirlmodel tracks, I sort of go into a "Zen" moment when building them, I find it quite relaxing....though I am a bi strange! :christmas:

Did I get the wrong masks??? :undecided: I got them because I like the disk camp scheme and figured masks are the only way to do it.

• Like 1

I have the tracks in a bag......free to anyone silly enough to what them. Glad I wasn't the only unable to get it back in a box...but gosh it is detailed!!!

• 1 month later...

Oh dear, this was meant to be my second update……only to find I forgot to do the first one!! :doh:

Ok this maybe a slightly large update…sorry.

Ok the cool thing with this one is there’s so much construction to be had before I even need to think about painting anything.

First up the engine and gearbox were built.

IMG_2986-L.jpg

Next up the interior sidewalls for the turret (??) were built up, there’s quite a bit of work in here and some pesky PE bits as well!

IMG_2985-L.jpg

…then the barrel and loading support (as can be seen I’m jumping all over the place with this one and not following the instructions…….

IMG_2984-L.jpg

…… some engine panels, more PE, plus I built up the shells, they are huge!

IMG_3051-L.jpg

….and finally the lower section of the hull. More PE bits and lots of detail, pity most of it will be hidden by other bits!

IMG_2987-L.jpg

She’s a bit of a fatty! As mentioned earlier the turret assembly just sits atop of a Tiger I hull and is held on 6 (maybe 😎 bolts on each side, it wasn’t welding on at all!

IMG_2988-L.jpg

Ok time for some paint, this is where it all gets interesting/confusing! ***  The turret interior was painted that Elfenbein (Ivory RAL 1001) after first being pre-shaded. Though I have read that there was a Beige colour used for the upper interior parts, turrets etc. This is a bit confusing. :blink2:

IMG_3052-L.jpg

*** (I’m using a document that is an authorised extract Doyle & Jentz book on the subject, they sound like they know what they're talking about).

The engine bits were painted dark grey (RLM66) though there is mention that the engine blocks were unpainted. 

IMG_3053-L.jpg

Now the confusion….. RFM would have you paint the main hull area a pale blue colour. Though everything I’ve managed to read about so far says it should be primer red or a grey/green colour (RAL7009). Parts added to the interior from other manufactures often came in different colours but got re-sprayed in primer as well.

To add to the confusion, late 1942 manufactures were told to stop using the grey/green primer and switch over to the red stuff. In September 1944 they were told to stop using Ivory and paint everything red primer…around the same time as the Zimmeritt coating was stopped for simplified manufacturing. Then Ivory was reinstated in late 1944.

So do I paint it Red Oxide or Grey/Green primer….:wacko:

IMG_3056-L.jpg

……as can be seen I went with the former. It really needs a wash and some highlighting as it’s pretty bland looking at the moment.

As you add more and more to her she starts to get quite busy, plus details start to get hidden. I haven’t decided yet whether to leave the roof of the “turret” clear of have it removable yet, it’s doesn’t fit very well.

IMG_3057-L.jpg

IMG_3058-L.jpg

The upper inside looks quite good, but quite a bit of work is required here.

IMG_3059-L.jpg

Gee she needs to go on a diet I reckon!

IMG_3060-L.jpg

Oh and everything just doesn’t fit together nicely either….

The lower LHS of the engine needed attention to get it to fit correctly….

IMG_3054-L.jpg

IMG_3055-L.jpg

….and fitting the PE liner to the barrel, not an easy task at all to do….and there was blood involved!!!

IMG_3050-L.jpg

I made up the first set of tracks, to a Tigers length only to find it’s way too long! I shorted it to the length…….and then found a complete set of tracks already made up for another project. So they’ll be pressed into service for this one to save time. Interestingly when the tracks were made they were also painted in that red oxide primer.

IMG_3061-L.jpg

So finally the end of this rather long up…..won’t leave it so long next time (started writing this 2 days ago…).

Oh and here she is with her massive big brother, a E-100 Jagdpanzer with nightfighting gear.

IMG_3065-L.jpg

IMG_3063-L.jpg

• Like 9

Looks like good progress there Rich, even if your Tiger should take a diet.

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I made up the first set of tracks, to a Tigers length only to find it’s way too long! I shorted it to the length

Interesting to know.  I haven't tried RFM tracks on an RFM Tiger, but their early tracks were too short when applied to the Zvezda kit.

Whether it was your first or second update, it was well worth the wait Rich, you’ve made a very nice start to what looks to be a very nice multimedia kit.

• Thanks 1

Hi Rich,

I did post a comment before, but think it was removed because I stupidly posted a video of a Sturmtiger in action, and most likely contravened the copyright - I had meant only to post a link, not the actual video. Whatever, the video is easy to find, if you haven't seen it.

Anyway, super job. I'd leave the roof and all covers removable so you can show off those gorgeous interior details.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

I think I saw it there, but didn't get a chance to look at it. Glad you mentioned it as I though I was going mad as I was sure there use to be something there....else I probably am! The easiest way is to just post a link, that way you don't get into trouble. I'll go have a look for it, it'll be good to see some videos of them, have heaps of reference books, but nothing beats proper video/film.

I'm going to leave the room unattached, seeing there's so much going on in there it'd be a shame to hide it all.

Oh and I picked one of these up today at my local IPMS meeting, the box was/is slightly water damaged but everything else is fine.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ammo-by-mig-jimenez-amig-8500-1945-king-tiger--1027407

Only $40 Oz, say 25 pounds, will be good for next years Luft/Panzer 46 GB thingy! Off to buy some Friulmodel tracks now.

• Like 2

Lots of progress on her to report, though not so many photos.

The inside of the turret assembly is more or less finished and has been fitted to the outer turret body. It doesn’t look too bad, though most of it won’t be seen, I will leave the top of the turret assembly loose so it can be removed to show the interior.

IMG_3142-L.jpg

IMG_3141-L.jpg

I finished up doing the engine and just need to paint the intake filters, the engine now fitted. I’ve fitted a lot of the other parts of the lower interior and started to “dirty” them up. I still need to paint and fit the lower shell racks. All the radiators and fuel tanks are fitted and there rear section is pretty much closed up.

IMG_3140-L.jpg

The turret assembly fit really nice snug to the chassis and sort of locks in place, quite cool!  While you can se a bit of the engine bay area now, that will change.

IMG_3139-L.jpg

I’ll leave the covers all closed and just have the radiator doors open.

IMG_3138-L.jpg

The wheels and tracks are just sitting there, I may need to add a link to each track, will look at that once the wheels are actually on place.

IMG_3137-L.jpg

IMG_3136-L.jpg

I’m actually really happy with the progress on her, the build is quite straightforward, the only issues are the parts fit is a bit hit & miss in a lot of places. Which seems to be the norm with a lot of these new Chinese models I’ve noticed!

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh after what seems to be forever I back to this one…actually I have been doing wee bits here and there. But with the end coming up first I must spend more time on her!

Ok since the last update the interior is pretty much all done, turret compartment is done, just need a wee bit of painting here and there, and the lower hull almost, just need to add a couple of bits. Opps forgot photos!

Rear decking is all in place, I won’t have the engine bay open just the hatch partially, resting on blocks (are fitted on the cover). The covers for the radiator intakes will be open, shown in photo a bit later.

Right stuff I have photos for…….

The guards supplied….well they just didn’t look right when compared to actual photos, too thick and they didn’t have the lip on the edge, plus they’re way to hard to get a good damaged look. So the answer was to replace them with new ones form brass sheet the correct thickness. Cutting out was easy, not so folding…..and I didn’t quite get them even but no issue there.

IMG_3218-L.jpg

New mounts for these were made and fitted, they can’t be seen when the guards are fitted so plastic strip was used. Plus also any detail on the insides of the guards is hidden so I didn't worry too much about that.

IMG_3219-L.jpg

Add some plastic bolts and it looks much better and the thickness is to scale…..but they do look too new…..and poor old Han’s wasn’t the best driver!

IMG_3220-L.jpg

Around about this time I realised that 99% of these Sturmtiger I had photos of had Zimmerit coating on them and this model doesn’t! 

I haven’t tried this before and sort of had an idea on how it was done, so out with some filler and a home made Zimmerit block (made from scrap resin) and off we go! 

For a first attempt it’s not too bad and actually almost matches some of the photo’s I’ve got!

IMG_3221-L.jpg

IMG_3222-L.jpg

Right that done time for some final test fitting and to check out the damage from Han’s driving!

IMG_3223-L.jpg

I probably should have replaced the front guards as well, but am a bit lazy! :D

IMG_3224-L.jpg

...gee he massed up the centre guard!!

IMG_3225-L.jpg

IMG_3226-L.jpg

The 2 radiator doors will be open in the latched position….with luck.

IMG_3228-L.jpg

The lower 8 shells are actually fitted, the top 4 are just sitting here for now. I had to remove some of the mounting straps as they wouldn’t actually allow the shells to sit correctly! Luckily they’re hidden.

IMG_3229-L.jpg

IMG_3230-L.jpg

Finally with the tracks fitted with the extra link added, they sit much better now.

IMG_3231-L.jpg

I just need to finish up the final bits on the insides and I can close her all up. Once that’s done it’s painting time. I’m a wee bit insure how the masks will go as it’s a hard edge pattern and there so many bumps and shapes for the masks to go over. I probably should have painted her first before adding all the details! A change in scheme isn’t a biggie.

I’m hoping to have her completed by the weekend….as long as work doesn’t get in the way!

• Like 5

Just a quick update...

The interior is done (I think, I'm bound to have forgotten something! The "turret" is fitted, that wasn't an easy job at all! I had to end up using clamps and CA glue to get it to fit correctly, so it an't coming off again that's for sure!

Then a couple of coats of Micro Filler/Primer.

WOW, suddenly it all just seems to come together. The battered guards, which I though may have been a wee bit over done, look great and the Zimmerit....well looks like it been done by someone who knows what's they're doing....rather than me! :D

IMG_3240-L.jpg

IMG_3239-L.jpg

IMG_3238-L.jpg

IMG_3237-L.jpg

The racks, well I ended up having to super glue them in place, fit as very ordinary! I have a rocket/shell already to stuff down the barrel once it's all been painted.

IMG_3242-L.jpg

IMG_3243-L.jpg

I'll start painting her today, still 50/50 on whether to use the masks, will leave that to the last moment.

• Like 6

thanks, I have an update to post at some stage, she's pretty much all painted now. Just have to does some of the smaller details and wheels. She really though needs a good flat coat and some weathering.

I ended up using the masks.......sort of came out ok.....again a good flat coat and weathering should improve the look. The masking wasn't fun at all!

• Like 1

this update is a wee bit delayed as I’m now in the middle of nowhere on the NW coast of Oz….and will be for a wee bit with work.

Ok I managed to get pretty much all of the painting done and what a job….not quite a nightmare but not that easy.

So as mentioned I decided to go with the masking scheme. The masks themselves are good but the problem is it’s a 2D pattern that needs to go onto a 3D which is the hard bit. So I had to butcher some of the masks to get a even pattern………..and for each layer!

For the paints I was going to use the AK Ammo set for this but after some test painting I found I had the right Mr. Hobby paints, which I must prefer to use.

So after a few hours (and overnight) I was left with this….

IMG_3244-L.jpg

..and after unmasking..

IMG_3245-L.jpg

IMG_3246-L.jpg

IMG_3247-L.jpg

..it doesn’t look too bad at all. There are different finishes to the paint, the red/brown is very glossy, but should calm down with a matt coat.

Next up where the “dots”, not quite as successful using the cardboard mask they provided but it sort of came out ok.

IMG_3248-L.jpg

IMG_3249-L.jpg

IMG_3250-L.jpg

IMG_3251-L.jpg

She really now does need to be weathered and dirtied up, plus as mentioned a good super flat finish.  I still have to do the outer set on wheel (along with the others) and not too sure what the pattern should be, the ring pattern or hard edge camo???

I have my fingers crossed I’ll complete her on time, I still have a wee bit of work to go on other bits of her, but am quite happy with where she is at now.

• Like 2