1/72 Academy Hellcat

It's almost impossible to over-weather models of carrier borne aircraft. The salt spray attacks the paint finish every time they fly. The Coastal Command aircraft that operated out of the north of Scotland suffered in the same way.  They looked very untidy very quickly!

• Like 1

I have been going to model shows for over 20 years, this is the first thing I ever entered. I have new appreciation for all the work and time people put into the shows. Just getting there took about 2 hours (1 wrong turn and no gps) I was really nervous about packing up the model. Even brought some glue just in case. I created a box with styrofoam cut down to cradle the Hellcat. And every bump my car went over, I had to tell myself it was o.k. I'm really grateful that the judges took their time - although it made for a long day! I was packing up my Hellcat when they called my name because I was starving and thought I had no chance. I would have been perfectly content just making it to another show. 

A very few pictures I took at Penncon 2019 are up now in my flickr collection link below.

Thank you for all the kind words and motivation.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 1:39 AM, Learstang said:

Congratulations! The weathering looks spot on to me. You do need to come on over to the dark side...

Best Regards,

Jason

On 9/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, 3DStewart said:

Excellent work. Now that you've flirted with the dark scale are you hooked?

The dark side is 1/72 scale?   I have also seen a few references to 'the true scale'. Is that the same?

Either way, my second 1/72 Hellcat is in production and I just picked up a 1/72 Hellcat night fighter from the 'bay. I can't wait to tear into the Eduard box, which is due to be delivered tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Yes, the proper name is indeed 'The One True Scale', or 'The Lord's Scale', but we try not to frighten 1/48th scale modellers with those phrases. 'The Dark Side' or 'The Dark Scale' seem a bit more mysterious, even appealing? At any rate, glad to see you're doing some 1/72nd scale kits. I've been thinking about buying the Eduard Hellcat for quite some time - it's reputed to be an excellent kit.

Best Regards,

Jason 

• Haha 1