Hasegawa 1:200 Lockheed Tristar "Royal Air Force"

Icarus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Afternoon.  Just getting going with this one.  Photos from a couple of nights ago - filling in the windows with white glue, etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And yes, that is more like an artist's pallet than a cutting mat, but that's how I like it!

Now that my nephews have stopped running around the garden with this as part of the !Air Force", I should get a bit more progress tonight.  It is actually a pretty simple build, and given the plastic is by Hasegawa there are few fit issues.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
typos
  • Like 2

So, actually it is now complete.  As you might be able to make out, I didn't quite get the white glue filling of the windows on the port side correct (added decals THEN had to try and add some further filling) but learnt from my mistake on the starboard side and this turned out much better.

The old decals on the port side also broke up a bit, so I had to use n old 1/72 Hawk decal from the spares box.  This seems to have turned out fine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

LORqMrEcI6Lp0zxAmtnenOyWeWwpCjPyC0GUm629

ssp4MNKt8hp5FwL0rXwQg67QKv0M6fhUMaBmvst-

I'll get some better photos for the final gallery, but must say I'm pleased with this.  Well done Hasegawa!

Now on to the Italian Tiger Meet Stafighter for this Group Build...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 8

Thank you everyone.  A credit to the Hasegawa kit, and the 2nd hand section of my favourite model shop.  I tend to use the latter as a source a models beyond my usual "WW2/post War 1/48 and 1/72 aircraft" comfort zone.  This TriStar has really shown me that airliners are fun -  relatively simple to make but with striking and colourful end results.  Based on how much fun this was, I've just gone out and got the ICM 1/144 Ilyushin Il-62, which looks like it will be magnificent in the Aeroflot "Olympic commemorative" scheme.

Anyway, back to my usual scale and model type with the 1/48 Starfighter build for this Lockheed Group Build.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Nice one Icarus, I didn't realise Hasegawa brought this out must be quite old. What are the two lumps on the rear underside of the fuselage?

Glad you've been bitten by the airliner bug the ICM IL-62 is a very nice kit.

I'd recommend filling the windows and using these decals instead

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-IL01

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian.  The KC1 was a mixed role transport and tanker, so the lumps represent the refuelling hose/drogue mechanism I presume.  As I'm sure you are aware, the Tristars didn't have wingtip mechanisms (unlike the VC10.)

As a recent returner to airliner models, my previous experience was as a kid filling the windows with a rapidly clouding mix of poorly fitted clear plastic inserts and over copious deposits of cement.  If decals are used, what do you fill the windows with nowadays?  I presume you then sand this flat before painting?

Icarus. 

Hi Icarus,

Your Tristar looks good and appears to have been an easy build.

This is the second 1/200 Tristar to have featured recently, given the size of some of the larger 1/144 airliners, I can see the attraction of this scale.

Regards

Mike

• 1 year later...