F-104S "Tiger II", 53' Stormo, Tigermeet '91

Icarus

Good morning.  Would like to offer up this as specimen #1.  Having almost finished a commision build of the Alcock and Brown Phantom with auto-destruct 1980's vintage decals, the 1993 decal fest that this will entail should be a breeze...

-5Y5SGxbm5Xn_xpW5FYlrxalBkvifonzq1nwGigd

OQSKjkHkGmEeVZppAyCBxWg4IL65homxKkoBwChJ

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Typos
  • Like 8

Very nice subject !

You may already know this, this aircraft was an F-104S, that differ from the G in the box in a few details. The most visible is the addition of two extra fins under the rear fuselage, while the shape of the central fin was reduced. Both are easy modification, the two new fins can be made from plasticard (I can send you a drawing with dimensions if you need) while the central fin needs the leading edge cut to a 45° angle. The exhaust is also longer but I don't know  what variant is in the Monogram box.

There is of course a long list of F-104S specific features, of course depends on how interested you are in having all accurate details in your model, in any case the colour scheme is so catchy that this result in a great looking model even built from the box.

• 1 month later...

Right, well whilst I was working on the Tristar in the GB I used some of the intervening time to start on this.

Lovely resin bang seat (Eduard Zoom) painted up and weathered...

RAi6xmcLp9wB04VTzCi0nlCnW_qJ8ZoKg0bOfzSU

Have just realised I need to paint the foot restraining pads red as well, so will do this before cutting this off its resin casting block.

I intend to finish the kit with the canopy closed (unusual for me, but I just love the "Buck Rogers" shape of the closed up air frame and want to retain this), so beyond the seat I don't plan to add too much detail in the cockpit.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Typos
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening.  A bit more progress on this.  The cockpit is coming along.  I have just placed the ejector seat in it to check the fit.  I have also spent the evening glueing various PE in with white glue..

A "team photo" of the bits...

spacer.png

Still need to bend down the PE that is surrounding the cockpit sills (plus straighten that grill at the rear that I have just noticed is a bit wonky - that's why I use white glue!!)

Icarus

• Like 3

This is looking good and the resin seat really adds to the detail. Which PE set are you using? I can see it is Eduard but not which kit it was for. They did produce cockpit and detail sets years ago for this kit but I guess when the Hasegawa F-104 kits came out they stopped producing them.

Michael

Hi.  This is the (presumably quite old) Eduard unpainted PE kit specifically for the Monogram 1/48 Starfighter.  I bought this a while ago second hand from an auction site - surprisingly, it is complete.  There are multiple options within it, which I presume relate to the relevant sub-types, particularly in the cockpit.

Icarus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon.  Progress now being made with this.  A slightly moth-eaten Starfighter at the moment, but helps me check the seams have been sanded down...

spacer.png

And a bit more detail on the PE afterburner ring (which took all of an evening to fold and glue) and undercarriage doors (plus the resin seat)

spacer.png

Hopefully a bit more progress tonight (if I can get the little terrors to sleep this evening!)

Icarus

• Like 3

So now less "moth-eaten", but rather "pie-bald".  It won't necessarily be obvious until the details are highlighted with a pin wash later on, but I have had a lot of fun over the last couple of nights adding all sorts of PE bits to the exterior of this...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next steps adding canopy (some temporarily), then masking up before the real fun of painting and decaling this thing starts...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 3

So, the canopy is on now and masked.  I have now been fiddling around with black paint, and as you can see I have made the new ventral fins for this "S"as these weren't in the original kit.  They're the plasticard shapes on the top of the two bottles on the bottom of the cutting mat..

spacer.png

So now the difficult part - how to mask this, ready for the ancient decals?  The instructions are not particularly helpful, so I will need to use the photos on the packaging plus any references I can find on the net.  I think, unusually, it will probably be easier to have the black as the base colour, then mask it to spray on white both for the wings/undersides, but also as a base for the yellow in the scheme.  This sounds simple, but unfortunately it is difficult to see where the transition between yellow and black is on the references, and I will obviously be assuming the decals have reasonable opacity on top of this, otherwise it will look a bit rubbish, to be honest.

Oh well - nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 3

So - a ridiculous amount of masking later...

spacer.png

EQLF8J5tSPujRcm18Xq9DCwmJnfnCWPEC6Hh1fbW

Ironically, all of those bits masked with yellow Kabuki tape will eventually by white (or black), whereas the bits that appear white now will be yellow.

Anyway, this is what the result is following the first coat of yellow..

za8fB7JJeSpjFZyz2vyZqYSa0_8LUdcp6_uvZJc-

Can't wait to remove the masking on this.  It will certainly be eye-catching!

Icarus

• Like 4

So, I have spent most of the evening fishing bits of auto-destruct decal out of a dish of warm water, and trying to reconstruct the wonderful commemorative scheme this model is supposed to represent later.  This is where I am 4 hours later - I need a break for the evening, as I'm starting to go a bit cross-eyed!  Not too bad, although there are a few gaps which I will need to touch up afterwards.

spacer.png

It'll be worth it in the end!

Icarus

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Very, VERY late, but work travel put a spanner in the timelines for this.  Anyway, finally done.  Eduard's fantastic PE set for the kit has been used throughout, and the pitot is a Master models turned brass one.  Much of the extra detail is in the cockpit, which perversely I have then shut up, but I do like the sleek lines of it with canopy closed.  Anyway, as you can see from the last two piccies, the canopy isn't glued in place, so if I do later decide to display it open I can.

9vO09bLl_38fbylTArIg3py2YliRD4dHjeA3ry-T

tuY1j17qDwd9khFUMX5EJu2MktVxsVGwbBNJKBre

6SWbfOVhNSwgnNwiqqY8BLi5nb-o-bNMwz-io0U0

NWZXqReQ-9yf1jeMzgwmxbPZVgqv7vr-ZW7jSzIu

gQDmWTy9wx79mfvgrsqUwDrFsT9BuwhDUmF2CImx

OKg0BHmNprDh-XCqo10BsPHCf_WgLYPDtbi28VHO

01URGCowjKszr_vdgWma5XV_xDVXKdn0avKRl5LF

Thank you for following!

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Additional cockpit images
  • Like 3