Angolan Air Force MiG 21PFM, Academy 1/48

The Academy kit in 1/48 is still a nice model and is a good cheaper alternative to the new Eduard model. It comes with several options for AAM's and unguided rocket pods, but no bombs. I pinched some FAB 250's from the Kitty Hawk Su 22. Decals for the nose came from Crosswind Hobbies and the find flash was painted. I was unsure if the aircraft carried any wing insignia, but as I didn't have any, I left these off. There is the chance the aircraft didn't carry them as it was most likely used in the Angolan Civil War, which the Cuban's had a hand in. Many of their MiGs were flown by Cuban pilots.  C50 suffered a crash landing at some time during the conflict and was probably written off.

PVf6k1b.jpg

nQ4QDzM.jpg

ooWKNph.jpg

KPQ63vR.jpg

qw72W6d.jpg

cjU6Iad.jpg

• Like 29

9 minutes ago, BKirwan said:

Great job. 

Tom Cooper wil be proud of you. Do you have any photo ref. as I haven't seen any PFM in Angolan colours before. 

Cheers

Brian 

Funny you mention Tom. He answered me when I asked about the PFM in Angolan service and posted the front cover of part 2 of his book on the subject, upon which this is based as it's the profile on the front cover (still yet to buy the book!). I started looking after finding this picture. It's poor, but I've blown it up and you can clearly see the fin flash and the C50 on the nose. 

7gKkGFD.jpg

• Thanks 1