Thinning Tamiya paint for brush painting

walkerccw

In the past, I was using Model Master paint for brushing and never had to thin it. I am now living in Mexico, and I can get Tamiya paint. It brushes on horrible, seems way to think.

Getting modelling supplies here is difficult. I have read that you can use 91% Isopropy Alcohol. Can I mix it or something else in the actual bottle?

Thanks,

Curt

Curt,  You need to get hold of a bottle, comes in same bottle style as the Tamiya extra thin cement but its called Paint Retarder.  You'll stand a better chance of brushing it on using this stuff.

Tamiya is horrible to brush but sprays with an airbrush beautifully, thinning it I don't think will make a difference but I've been impressed with the Tamiya own paint retarder.

Dan 

5 minutes ago, walkerccw said:

Dan,

Can the Tamiya Paint Retarder be mixed directly in the original bottle? That would make my life so much easier!

Curt

You don’t need much adding but I can’t see why not Curt, I just mix up what I need in a palette, it keeps it workable for a while longer than straight paint and it transforms the way it brushes.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87114paint_retarder/index.htm

Dan