1/72 'TIGER' I Ausf.E

nimrod54

This is not my usual fayre so please don't expect anything too fancy from this build, which will be made as it comes in the box. All tips for simple improvements I can make along the way will be welcome, and so folks, I give you the box and its contents.

33957198048_bf62bd04a4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47834463841_d132585f60_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32890590327_2515b05c75_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47834465411_4c5568f3a4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

A very nice looking kit John, welcome to the build. I’m sure there be plenty of encouragement and tips from all builders.

• Like 1

Hi John. Haven't seen this kit in the plastic so I'm looking forward to seeing it in progress. Looks very good.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

My one recommendation is to replace the barrel with a metal one as it will make a world of difference.

RB barrels do a suitable one and they can be easily found on ebay for a couple of £.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and the couple of early tips. I followed up on @badger's tip and ordered a replacement barrel (cheers Ben). I've also had a gander at the Ausf. E in the Walkaround section on here which has been useful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and the couple of early tips. I followed up on @badger's tip and ordered a replacement barrel (cheers Ben). I've also had a gander at the Ausf. E in the Walkaround section on here which has been useful.

Glad to be of use

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Good choice Sir!

Metal barrel is good but I'd really push to get etch engine grill covers at least. They're very obvious on the real thing and as simple as Simon to fit. I'd also suggest some black boxes under the openings to prevent a see through effect.

Take your time with the tracks and they'll fit well, problems arise if you don't.

• Like 2

Well guys the big day has arrived, the parts have had a wash and are now drying. The barrel is on the way and I have been looking for a set grills as per @SleeperService's advice, they are available in a large Part set, but I just have to figure out if I am capable of utilising more of the detail parts in the set before I order one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Well guys the big day has arrived, the parts have had a wash and are now drying. The barrel is on the way and I have been looking for a set grills as per @SleeperService's advice, they are available in a large Part set, but I just have to figure out if I am capable of utilising more of the detail parts in the set before I order one.

The Part sets are very comprehensive and have some seriously fiddly bits. I'm a big fan and regularly use them, but have yet to use all the bits!

Eduard did some sets for the revell tiger which were a bit more basic but sadly long oop.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Whilst I wait for some parts to arrive, I made a start on assembling the lower hull section and then set about constructing some compartments at the rear in preparation for some simple details. I checked the fit of the upper deck to make sure that the bits I have added are not going to foul parts that will be fixed later. 

47842084692_18c1fc7e98_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40927800353_9e7b86044a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47842085292_5208bd3568_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I decided to dive in and have ordered a Part set, so much for a simple OOB build. :winkgrin:

• Like 5

Hi John. Nice to see this one underway and your lovely tidy work. Nice idea with the comartments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

The barrel arrived earlier in the week and the Part set turned up yesterday, I'm still not sure how much of that I will use, but the grills and track guards should be viable replacements. I have assembled the turret and glued the engine cover onto the upper deck, the replacement barrel looks a lot better than the kit part, so thanks again to Ben for that suggestion.

47924413331_01f23ddb1c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Well that all looks very smart John! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix. I've just been having a look at making up some simple box shapes to represent the details under the grills, and trying to figure out the best way of fitting the etch for those. The plan at the moment is to carefully snip the plastic mesh detail away and fix the etch grill over the top.

• Like 1

Hi

Glad the metal barrel worked ok - I like them a lot.

Please don't snip the plastic grill away - this is supposed to be there and is just covered with the etch mesh as an additional layer.

Sadly I still can't use flickr so upload an image but a Google search of tiger 1 engine deck shows what I mean

Kind regards

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, badger said:

Please don't snip the plastic grill away - this is supposed to be there and is just covered with the etch mesh as an additional layer.

Thanks for letting me know that Ben, fortunately I haven't started on the snipping yet. :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks for letting me know that Ben, fortunately I haven't started on the snipping yet. :winkgrin:

Cheers

Phew! Glad I caught it in time.

Here's the picture I wanted to share (it's Bovingtons jagdtiger). The mesh grille can be seen on the right.

2019-05-24_08-31-30

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

The barrel looks very nice John, I think I will look out for one at the Salisbury show next week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I apologise for the lack of updates on this one, but in between builds for the Trainers and the FROG Squad GB's I have been slowly plodding along with this one. I followed the advice offered by @badger and fixed the etch grills over the existing plastic. Having served a short apprenticeship at the @PlaStix school of model painting, I have made a start on painting the wheels/lower hull using Revell AquaColor Sand and the tracks have had a first coat of the same manufacturers Rust. I will give them a second coat before I brush some steel over them.

48037105577_8e4a41ab12_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48037043843_86051e3e09_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48037043998_2ec4175771_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48037001926_e227007d86_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And in a further fit of madness, I have purchased these, so now I have to decide how many to add and then (if needed) figure out how I am going to open up the relevant hatches. :)

48037106737_914a43edc5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2