1/72 'TIGER' I Ausf.E

nimrod54

Nice progress John, you've definitely nailed the brush painting. Good luck with the figures, hope you've got some fine brushes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Always up for a challenge John. Looking forward to seeing the crew in place. 

I'm not sure if I will use them all buddy, but I would like to squeeze in three at least - so that will mean opening a couple of hatches.

Meanwhile, painting work has continued on the tracks and these have been brushed with a steel colour then given a wash of Citadel's Agrax Earthshade.

48060904881_d52b3c5316_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

Hey John - your tracks look identical to mine for the King Tigers - I just hope your skill level is better than mine - as they a verging just on the edge of the bin at the moment.

I'll be cheering your progress along - good luck mate - Steve

• Like 1

On 14/06/2019 at 20:34, BIG X said:

Hey John - your tracks look identical to mine for the King Tigers - I just hope your skill level is better than mine - as they a verging just on the edge of the bin at the moment.

I'll be cheering your progress along - good luck mate - Steve

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Those tracks are looking excellent John! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cheers chaps. I hope to have the wheels and tracks on by the end of the week.  :fingerscrossed:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Nice progress John, hope you're treatment goes well tomorrow.

Cheers Ozzy, so far things seem to be going OK with the build, opening the hatches might be a bit trickier though. The treatment should be fine, it's 1hr on a drip and that will keep the joints supple for around 8 weeks.

• Like 2

After taking some time to establish a way of fitting the length and link track which was going to work best for me, I made a start on one side last night and this was as far as I got. The instructions call for six individual links at each end but with quite a few spares I have decided that by adding a few extras I should hopefully get the longer lengths to fit a little better. I still have to do the trickiest bit, that around the drive wheel and across the top, so we will see how that goes.  

48105269706_237199ab22_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48105269506_8da3756d96_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

Looking good John.

I will point out that the drive sprocket teeth wouldn't really be silver. The exposed metal would be a very dark reddish brown. Still, if you're going to apply washes, you could 'cure' your teeth with some targeted 'thick' washes.

Rearguards,

Badder

ps, I assume you had immunoglobulin transfusions? I had a course of those for a different disease and I know how boring they are - but we AFV modellers have to deal with link and length tracks/friuls etc, so it's a cake-walk in comparison!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Looking good John.

I will point out that the drive sprocket teeth wouldn't really be silver. The exposed metal would be a very dark reddish brown. Still, if you're going to apply washes, you could 'cure' your teeth with some targeted 'thick' washes.

Rearguards,

Badder

ps, I assume you had immunoglobulin transfusions? I had a course of those for a different disease and I know how boring they are - but we AFV modellers have to deal with link and length tracks/friuls etc, so it's a cake-walk in comparison!

Thanks for the drive sprocket info Badder. I haven't started adding the links yet so there is time to correct my mistake. I'll mix up some rust/red brown then repaint them.

Cheers

John

P.S. The treatment that I have is a generic Anti-TNF called Inflectra. When I first started treatment it took 4hrs (2 for infusion + 2 monitoring after), so treatment across 1hr is a lot better and the difference that it has made to my daily routine and activity level is well worth it.  :fingerscrossed:

• Like 2

On 22/06/2019 at 21:35, PlaStix said:

Tidy work on the tracks John.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for your generous comment Stix. I don't feel that I have got them on that well, but I'm sure that it will pass for a Tiger when it's finished. Anyway I repainted the drive sprocket teeth a red-brown colour and completed the track on one side.

48128261587_d12fd503c1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

• Like 5

On 6/22/2019 at 10:44 AM, Badder said:

I will point out that the drive sprocket teeth wouldn't really be silver. The exposed metal would be a very dark reddish brown.

What? Where do you get that information?

I would expect them to be silver, for the simple reason that they get polished by the tracks every time the vehicle moves!

David

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DByrden said:

What? Where do you get that information?

I would expect them to be silver, for the simple reason that they get polished by the tracks every time the vehicle moves!

David

This is something that has been discussed a lot on BM over the last few months. The teeth would be polished and have a certain shine where they contacted the track, but they wouldn't be silver because the alloy they're made from isn't silver. That shine would show up in black and white photographs as the same colour as silver because of the polished surface, but it would still be brown. The argument now is about the exact shade.

That came as a shock to me too, and overturned 40 years of modelling habits, but that's one of the many great things about being on this forum - even ham fisted old duffers like me can learn, improve and have fun doing it.

Andy

• Like 2

So, I looked for some examples. Bovington have an actual Tiger that actually drives around a few times per year.

Firstly, this is their sprocket not long after a repaint. The paint is not being worn off the tip of the tooth, only the lower sides. Surprise.

spacer.png

After a few more drives, most of the paint is gone from the tooth. But rust has set in. It's brown, like you said.

spacer.png

However, it's worth remembering that a Tiger in service would at times do a lot more driving than this one. There wouldn't be time to rust.

David

• Like 3

I like your thinking Dave - mine are a 'shiny' dark metal - not silver and not red either - just dark shiny meta  l.I'll wait to be scolded - but I like the look.... ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I apologise for the lack of updates on this build, but after the discussion re the drive sprocket colours I lost all enthusiasm for continuing with it, I thought that if the people who are regular AFV builders disagree on the colour then what chance do I stand as a novice builder, anyway I set it aside with the hope of reviving it at some point.

I have picked it up several times over the last couple of weeks, taken the sprues out of the box and on one occasion removed some of the track links to start adding them to the side that has remained incomplete, but all to no avail and choosing to pack everything up again. This afternoon I have tried again, this time choosing to add a few parts to the turret, I think that I will take things slowly, hopefully rekindling the keenness for the build that I had at the start. 

48530338796_dc0720a0af_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The chances of me finishing this for Sunday are very slim, but I hope that having now restarted I will feel that I can continue it and complete the build.

• Sad 2

I'm sorry to hear that John, I hope you finish her off soon. On sprocket teeth, I just normally brush the tips with a steel colour and I'm done. Thanks for joining in John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I apologise for the lack of updates on this build, but after the discussion re the drive sprocket colours I lost all enthusiasm for continuing with it, I thought that if the people who are regular AFV builders disagree on the colour then what chance do I stand as a novice builder, anyway I set it aside with the hope of reviving it at some point.

I have picked it up several times over the last couple of weeks, taken the sprues out of the box and on one occasion removed some of the track links to start adding them to the side that has remained incomplete, but all to no avail and choosing to pack everything up again. This afternoon I have tried again, this time choosing to add a few parts to the turret, I think that I will take things slowly, hopefully rekindling the keenness for the build that I had at the start. 

The chances of me finishing this for Sunday are very slim, but I hope that having now restarted I will feel that I can continue it and complete the build.

John - mine has the 'wrong' tracks AND the 'wrong' frontal machine gun - according to the 'regular AFV builders' and to be honest that put me off too...

but then I remembered the mantra of all model makers...

CALMTANK.png

...so I told them so and cracked on with my build.

I hope you'll do the same - you do some great work and I'd like to cheer you over the finish line...

C'MON NIMROD - C'MON NIMROD - C'MON NIMROD!!!!

Chin up and carry on - Steve

• Like 1