Anil's Workbench #3: 1/72 Academy Bf109G-6 In Progress

Minor update, custom canopy mask made , zipped up and canopy interior coat showed some geeblies that need attending to. 

48331731057_66a04b638b_b.jpg

Primer up tomorrow and camo start, dropped £30 on Tornado anniversary decals so a sale is essential methinks. Y'know this is a complete hound of a kit but I'm liking the look of it again, got a warm fuzzy feeling about this one. I'm going to try the older issue which seems much better moulded next in case there's a demand for it.

Anil

• Like 3

Todays update: Primer touched up and medium sea grey on: Decided to mist the MSG with Mr. Leveling to get a nice shine as  I  just felt it was a bit gritter than I'm used to. Prep like this even before a gloss coat stops that manky silvering I see on so many RFIs without the dull drudgery of micromeshing and subsequent cleanup:

48338896931_ef0c689b7e_b.jpg

All the wee parts in progress, my Kfir jockey looks a bit bemused tho',

48339037682_145e9b906b_b.jpg

Y'know I'm really liking the shape of this one, its going to be a midweek finish but this and the baby Vulcan should bring July's tally to four effortlessly, nice.

Cheery byes

Anil

• Like 3

On 7/18/2019 at 9:38 PM, azureglo said:

48317116157_07b8bbeca9_b.jpg

Look at this from the 1996 version also by Revell, progress?

48317424187_29dc1481d2_b.jpg

Mmm reminds me of the George Bernard Shaw quote:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

In spite of that, you are actually making good progress...

• Haha 3

On 7/21/2019 at 6:42 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Mmm reminds me of the George Bernard Shaw quote:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

In spite of that, you are actually making good progress...

Good to see you back Tom: I hope all is well in your allotment, sadly my lilies are decimated, various nasties are afflicting my herb garden and the Last Post was played yesterday for the tomatoes...I currently hate all of nature that has six legs or more...

Re the kit, ya gotta finish, abandoning things just makes you feel totally defeated and incredibly this is beginning to look quite good to me, Looking back at your Fury thread, you had a few moments and you never even broke your stride. I look at some folks simple 1/72 builds that drag on for years and I feel for them, but in the end every finish makes you feel good, win or lose.

Anil

• Like 1

I'm just catching up on Britmodeller after a brief absence and a few ups and downs over the past couple of weeks. The allotment is well thanks, not much problem with six legged things, my main grief is caused by weeds and those damned gastropods - why don't they ever touch the weeds is what I'd like to know.

15 minutes ago, azureglo said:

I look at some folks simple 1/72 builds that drag on for years

Heh heh, reminds me of a certain Avro Rota build... it will be finished though... honest...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

I'm just catching up on Britmodeller after a brief absence and a few ups and downs over the past couple of weeks. The allotment is well thanks, not much problem with six legged things, my main grief is caused by weeds and those damned gastropods - why don't they ever touch the weeds is what I'd like to know.

Heh heh, reminds me of a certain Avro Rota build... it will be finished though... honest...

Tom yours get finished and boy are they worth waiting for like Bills and Nigel's! 

Yet we ingrates at Tomoshenko Tank Factory No. 1 must strive to produce ever more  for if we let the Great Commissar down who knows what Gulag we may get sent to ?

• Haha 2

And the one day camo job is done (in spite of  all those armchair  experts who opined "duh its never gonna happen" on one of my other threads). My Painting-Fu is strong today grasshopper!

Ocean gray on and a nice quick bake

48350357077_13d1c58850_b.jpg

Green done using AML masks and a little improvisation, Oramask 810 don't do lumps and bumps!

48350363772_08dbed2afb_b.jpg

Now the sky band and yellow leading edges,

48350366962_f44170fee4_b.jpg

48350879897_8afeb42c7e_b.jpg

No tape lift, overspray etc, just smooth clean two color colour camo  plus two additional colours in six hours: thats why you should learn about touch drying, low baking, curing, paint systems and common thinner for all layers, Oy! Momma Kumar's boy has got his Paint Mojo On! I'll let it completely gas out overnight, a quick final bake in the morning to start curing then glossing and decalling and  this hits the punters on Wednesday! 

Cheery byes folks

Anil

• Like 5

Wow Anil, that's a clean oven.  Leaving aside it's cleanliness ours would need me to stand next to it the whole model-bake to stop the rest of the family using it to cook stuff they won't eat cos they then remember they're all on diets!

Not sure we'll see Paul and Prue having a technical bake-off on these lines in the next series.

Paint job looks great, even if the kit's a bit suspect - I like Revell's extra-drag cannon bulge flanges, not previously noticed by other Vb kit manufacturers...

Cheers

Will

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Wow Anil, that's a clean oven.  Leaving aside it's cleanliness ours would need me to stand next to it the whole model-bake to stop the rest of the family using it to cook stuff they won't eat cos they then remember they're all on diets!

Not sure we'll see Paul and Prue having a technical bake-off on these lines in the next series.

Paint job looks great, even if the kit's a bit suspect - I like Revell's extra-drag cannon bulge flanges, not previously noticed by other Vb kit manufacturers...

Cheers

Will

Hey Will, the joys of single life and when   the current squeeze visits, I do the cooking and her various diets don't seem to mind my dripping in olive oil and mozzarella oozing Melanzane Parmigiana. On the kit side, the cannon bulges look brilliant to my eye, not accurate but whoa, what cool shapes even if they don't bear a passing resemblance to  the real thing. This kit is just incredible in terms of the "what were you thinking?!" factor. For that alone its a legend in my book  already...

Anil

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And we're done decalling: Minor glitch as the ancient Marks and Spencer boxing had the right decals for the clipped tips but turned out to be kaput. But this is pragmatic modelling, I simply used the elliptical tip wing decals. Dear godthe rivets won't somebody think of those poor, poor rivets!! Meh.

48358941697_ce5c85952d_b.jpg

48358808091_59853d75f0_b.jpg

Interestingly these decals fought all the way, most unusual for Revell, my surface was, as usual, super glossy as befits a user of Mr Super UV Cut III gloss, Resorted to the diluted Future but very odd for Zanchetti decals, thick and uncooperative. All done though, matt coat, stand and off to market for this little piggy .

Nighty night

Anil.

• Like 4

Stunning work Anil, thoroughly professional job. I'll have a word with the senior party members and wing a few party privileges your way - jump to the front of the food queue and extra paint rations. Can't do much about the power cuts though...

• Thanks 1

And we're done:  Basic beauty shots and RFI tomorrow. For all its faults its definitely got that "buy me, buy me now!!" look, pretty little plane. I think the punters should warm to this.

48366208906_57a92e5fd4_b.jpg

48366341992_aed9ec7f37_b.jpg

48366208786_1d555905fa_b.jpg

Some observations: This is a truly dreadful kit, buy it and you will truly regret it.

1. Not only is it wrong in many details like the wacky top cannon bulges, it has some hideous detail and fit issues.
  2. The canopy was covered in hard to get rid of flash, with horrible moulding flaws and is very thick, up to 1.5mm in parts.
  3. The protruding nose fasteners are just plain offensive, even  to me and I'm as far being a beardy rivet counter as you could get.
  4. It does have some lovely detailing and scribing though.
  5. The decals are thick and uncooperative.
  6. It's cheap but still overpriced for what you get.

I built it and TBH it will sell as its a pretty little plane,but there has got be a better MKV to do wheels up, even their 1996 version is better in fit and detail than this pile of plastic crud. Mind you I rather perversely  enjoyed building it, so go figure. So 13 done for 2019 and 3 for July, if I can squeeze that baby Vulcan in we should see 4 completions for July, nice.

Thanks for dropping in and make sure you put this on your "avoid at all costs list", if someone gives you one free, slap them hard with a large haddock and run away...

Anil

• Like 6

On 7/23/2019 at 8:44 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Stunning work Anil, thoroughly professional job. I'll have a word with the senior party members and wing a few party privileges your way - jump to the front of the food queue and extra paint rations. Can't do much about the power cuts though...

Thank you Commissar Tomoshenko. some rhubarb would be greatly appreciated and would stop the workers morale from crumbling 🥁 The paint works has delivered a bounty of the foul Japanese varnish and paint so beloved of the far eastern hordes, yet, smooth it is and it sticks like grandmothers borscht  to a soup bowl.

We will re-commence production tomorrow but for now the vodka has been poured!

Dosvedanya, Tovarich!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, azureglo said:

And we're done:  A basic beauty shots and RFI tomorrow. For all its faults its definitely got that "buy me, buy me now!!" look, pretty little plane. I think the punters should warm to this.

48366208906_57a92e5fd4_b.jpg

48366341992_aed9ec7f37_b.jpg

48366208786_1d555905fa_b.jpg

Some observations: This is a truly dreadful kit, buy it and you will truly regret it.

1. Not only is it wrong in many details like the wacky top cannon bulges, it has some hideous detail and fit issues.
  2. The canopy was covered in hard to get rid of flash, with horrible moulding flaws and is very thick, up to 1.5mm in parts.
  3. The protruding nose fasteners are just plain offensive, even  to me and I'm as far being a beardy rivet counter as you could get.
  4. It does have some lovely detailing and scribing though.
  5. The decals are thick and uncooperative.
  6. It's cheap but still overpriced for what you get.

I built it and TBH it will sell as its a pretty little plane,but there has got be a better MKV to do wheels up, even their 1996 version is better in fit and detail than this pile of plastic crud. Mind you I rather perversely  enjoyed building so go figure. So 13 done for 2019 and 3 for July, if I can squeeze that baby Vulcan in we should see 4 completions for July, nice.

Thanks for dropping and make sure you put this on your "avoid at all costs list", if someone gives you one free, slap them hard with a large haddock and run away...

Anil

Anil, I’m guessing the above won’t be the write up for eBay!

Very nice build and paint job, but as you say I think the basic kit should be avoided in favour of the earlier Vbs from Revell, the lovely old Airfix or KPs new tool.  On behalf of all BMers I thank you for this build saving any of the rest of us having to do so!  

Cheers

Will

• Thanks 1

Just now, malpaso said:

Anil, I’m guessing the above won’t be the write up for eBay!

Very nice build and paint job, but as you say I think the basic kit should be avoided in favour of the earlier Vbs from Revell, the lovely old Airfix or KPs new tool.  On behalf of all BMers I thank you for this build saving any of the rest of us having to do so!  

Cheers

Will

The eBay collectors are really looking for wow factor not accuracy so this will be perfect: That said its such a pity that any new tool kit (which these days are rarities) is so badly thought through as this one, and your post reminds me I've got the recent Airfix boxing with those cool US decals. Man I wish I was still in Southsea, a perfect night for a stroll to the beach and then a glass of fizz in the Southsea Castle...😥

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2

Very nice Anil. Those poses look good to... I know it’s ‘magnets’ but how do you use them so you can pose the model without it falling off?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Anil. Those poses look good to... I know it’s ‘magnets’ but how do you use them so you can pose the model without it falling off?

Easy Ced. I pop some washers/shims under one edge of the drill press vice that angles the receiver rod hole to the desired angle, my vice is bolted firmly to the press as you can see here; I worked it out in a booze fueled "what-would-nigel-do" moment...The top acrylic plate is then correctly angled, the mega strong N52 magnets grip for dear life and gravity gets its bottom kicked: All good.

48367822732_38fd8720a2_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah! So there's a metal plate inside the model and a magnet on top of the acrylic rod?

Nope, still don't get it, sorry.

Perhaps you could do a step-by-step on the next build and then I might give it a try… :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Ah! So there's a metal plate inside the model and a magnet on top of the acrylic rod?

Nope, still don't get it, sorry.

Perhaps you could do a step-by-step on the next build and then I might give it a try… :) 

Let's try again with pictures: First off, parts list: 2 x N52 disc magnets, 1 x 2mm acrylic top plate, 1 x 5mm  acrylic bottom plate, 1 x X mm rod length , diameter >/= diameter of magnet being used 

48371664507_0015237c1e_b.jpg

48371702537_04676e2efc_b.jpg

48371666992_b56d036693_b.jpg

48371540631_d54519f189_b.jpg

The N52 magnets are super strong, you can pick up the model and the stand comes it with unless you put a finger on it for detaching. This stand self locates, leaves no ghastly holes gouged out of the model and encourages folk to pick it up, look at it properly and enjoy it.

42616293320_ba64fe42c5_b.jpg&key=6f7b89f

Now if you really want to go nuts, then...

6front1lt.JPG&key=047b65b8888aaeffc1f9d9

Anil

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Okily dokily, July is slipping by and we’ve lost the pace a bit because of last week’s post sales fulfilment. Now let’s see what we can do with this:

48373850921_4d183e944b_b.jpg

48373850801_3092da1a66_b.jpg

48374040642_6f1c221047_b.jpg

48373982557_59154c0e60_b.jpg

48373850786_3c0f5a0f99_b.jpg

BF109s seem very strong in the sales market and well-built 109Gs are thin on the ground. I picked the Academy from the pile of Hasegawa  and AZ kits as its simple, is based on the HG kits and every Academy kit I’ve built so far had excellent fit. Modding to do wheels up should not pose any challenges as if they’ve copied Hasegawa, the doors should be thin and  perfectly shaped to fit the wheel well. Besides which the AZ 109Gs are in something called a "joy pack", things named like that rarely bode well in my experience...

Markings are that rather stunning “Shooting Star” or maybe the Eyes have it? from this superb Eaglecals sheet- if its the Stars, I’m going with a very dark  blue as used on the tail of my recent P-47, for the stars background, who knows it might turn out to that new RLM dark blue some folk are getting very excited about…

48373982597_0b7a8b5262_b.jpg

A gentle one week build as my Vulcan on bench 2 is under primer waiting for paint coats tomorrow and a weekend  finish...didnt I have a Kfir on the go as well? BTW the Revell Spit V got its first bid in under an hour...I have a hunch about later Spitfire marks that I'm going to test with a "sexy" MKIX next month. Now a Negroni has been mixed, my portable aircons are on full chilly blast and an evening of the Tick beckons, I have a thing about Arthur's sister...

Cheer byes, styrene wranglers,

Anil

• Like 6

9 hours ago, azureglo said:

The N52 magnets are super strong, you can pick up the model and the stand comes it with unless you put a finger on it for detaching. This stand self locates, leaves no ghastly holes gouged out of the model and encourages folk to pick it up, look at it properly and enjoy it.

And also you can hold it in your hand and run around the room making airplane/jet noises, which let's face it is the real reason for using a detachable base/stand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4