CROUCHING TIGER, FINISHED AND IN RFI.

Badder

The good wife has been moaning, of late,  about all my modelling tools, paints, glues, and assorted other 'junk' taking over the house, and after dutiful consideration, I did I think it was about time to buy something to store it all in, rather than in an assortment of containers (for 'containers' read 'table-top'). So, rather than build/paint anything this morning, I thought I'd lighten my wallet by 50 quid. What I got for that money was excellent - a  DeWalt tool box, with a drawer for all of my acrylic ink bottles, another for all of my weathering powders, oil paints, enamel washes, decal fixers/softeners, and other assorted fluids, and a large section underneath with enough room for virtually everything else.

ZzJtIvx.jpg

LK91GRO.jpg

4dHRXvS.jpg

ubBINqZ.jpg

Technically, I should be able to clear my work-table and take stuff from and return it  to the DeWalt, then put the DeWalt away when model-making has ended for the day.

Of course, that probably won't happen, but the intention is there!

But now I'm free to start work on the Tiger again.

I did buy some 'No More Nails' today - not for Zimmerit (not in this build anyway) but as a potential glue for the spare tracks on the turret. CA does do the job, but it's a 'one-shot' method and I need something that will allow me time to reposition the links if required.

If the No Nails doesn't work, I've also got some Gorilla Gel Superglue to try. Of course, I will test both first.

Hopefully then, the spare track links will be on sometime this pm. Oh. There's one small problem - when removing the wrongly positioned links, the link retainers snapped and pinged off into the never, so I will have to scratch two retainers. That would be a really easy job if they weren't so bloomin' small and my fingers weren't so useless!

TFL

Badder

42 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I suppose you've got a" name or term" for this new   badderesque weathering method, ( I know your always inventing new words) 😁

Yes Glynn,

I call it my ' Deliberately doing things in the wrong order - particularly when it comes to weathering - method.'

Whether 'Pre-weathering weathering' is any better, or not, will have to be put to the vote.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

I got distracted from sorting the spare track links out by the desire to put some bullet and shrapnel holes in the air filters and stick them on the rear of the Tiger.....

Just a few holes here:

gyKi9am.jpg

But more and varied holes here:

And let's 'rip'  that flap off of the mud-flap......

Nx42ihc.jpg

I cut the mud-flap side flap off down the middle of the hinge. I'll need to file out the alternate..... er..... 'hinge tubes'..... which would have been part of the missing flap.

And I'm aware that the tracks have gone very grey for some reason. I will have to remove them and repaint them. Removing them won't be hard due to those little bits of pin wire which I left sticking out of the track links.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

I suppose you've got a" name or term" for this new   badderesque weathering method, ( I know your always inventing new words) 😁

I think the word 'talented' sums it up nicely.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I think the word 'talented' sums it up nicely.

Ha! If you actually looked like your avatar I'd give you a hug Steve!

'Improving' I'd accept more readily!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Badder said:

Ha! If you actually looked like your avatar I'd give you a hug Steve!

'Improving' I'd accept more readily!

Rearguards,

Badder

Who wouldn't want to 'hug' Carol Vordermann :lol:

• Haha 2

Last update for today.

I've decided on the exhaust covers.  The cover over the LHS exhaust (dry-fitted) will be fixed in place, but it will have a large dent and a few holes near the top. The other cover will be 'missing' having been removed by the crew.

nWfwMFU.jpg

I forgot to mention that there is now a dent in the lids of the filter units, presumably where some twonk stood/stamped on them.

And what's with the giant Rizzla paper?  you might ask....

dU0rm20.jpg

It's my brainwave.

I am wary of trying to glue the 5 Friuls on one at a time. The last attempt resulted in something that looked right, but was in fact slightly 'on the wonk'. Remember, the Friuls don't have locating pins like the kit's spare links do, and it's never easy using holes as guides when you cover those holes up with the part you are trying to position precisely. Anyway, prior to replacing the kit's spares, I filled in those holes and sanded them down. And then drilled them out again, badly, so now the holes aren't spaced evenly. However, I can use them as a guide for making a perfectly spaced graph paper 'jig'.

Step one then, was to take a 'rubbing' of the locating holes, using the cig paper and a pencil.

Now I can transfer this 'pattern' to graph paper, adjust and equalise the spacing, cut slots in the graph paper to receive the links, then CA paper strips across the top and bottom of the links, holding them in a fixed position. I can then offer them up to the turret, fix them in place and remove the CA'd paper strips.

TFL

Badder

Now, time for a beer or six!

• Like 3

Nice progress Badder, definitely a good idea about leaving the second shroud off to show the rusty exhaust. I did see a picture in a book somewhere with the air filter hanging off completely just held on by the pipes.

• Like 1

Hi Badder. Looks like you've had a good time at the now cleared(?) modelling bench. You are creating a much more interesting rear end of your Tiger with the missing bits and damage. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Badder, definitely a good idea about leaving the second shroud off to show the rusty exhaust. I did see a picture in a book somewhere with the air filter hanging off completely just held on by the pipes.

Hi Clive.

Well, they were rather over-engineered and (in the European Theatre) pretty pointless, so probably the crews were happy to have them fall off!

In the earlier photos of the Tiger with its engine covers open, there are what appear to be metal pipes hanging down beside the air filters. I assume these are the actual air pipes that feed into the engine and that they have been disconnected and have had their 'jackets' removed? I'm not entirely sure, but I can't think what else they might be. Any thoughts?

Rearguards

Badder

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Looks like you've had a good time at the now cleared(?) modelling bench. You are creating a much more interesting rear end of your Tiger with the missing bits and damage. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

The 'bench' is more cluttered now as I try to sort everything into 'sets' and explore where and how best to store it. It's a bit like one of those Chinese puzzle games with the moveable squares, shuffling them up/down, left/right until you make the picture.  I've cleared a lot of shelf space  though!

As for the 'more interesting rear end' I've always said that the 'Early' is a more 'attractive' tank than the mid, or late. But I wanted to get some 'damage' practice in anyway as I haven't really explored that branch of modelling yet. I have some more damage ideas which may or may not work. Whichever, I will show them.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Clive.

Well, they were rather over-engineered and (in the European Theatre) pretty pointless, so probably the crews were happy to have them fall off!

In the earlier photos of the Tiger with its engine covers open, there are what appear to be metal pipes hanging down beside the air filters. I assume these are the actual air pipes that feed into the engine and that they have been disconnected and have had their 'jackets' removed? I'm not entirely sure, but I can't think what else they might be. Any thoughts?

Rearguards

Badder

They could possibly be the pipes,

as the connecting tubing that comes off the air cleaners. Are machine made parts there is every possibility, the crew rotated these elements to face the flexible pipes downwards.

• Thanks 1

I decided to fix the PE Engine grills in place - not worrying about painting the engine covers first. Paint/ink will get in there.

So, out with the Photo-etch:

kmIDLt0.jpg

I've seen, of late, a lot of people switching to Gel Superglues for fixing PE.... So yesterday I bought some Gorilla Gel Superglue.

I 've not used a Gel before, but after a quick test I though it best applied to the Tiger's engine covers with a plastic spatula. For 'spatula' read 'One of my blood-sugar testing strips'.

zzporye.jpg

The Gel stuck the grills down - which is all that one can ask of it. But as a bonus it didn't 'capillariate' into the detailing of the grills, the kit, or my fingertips.  The grills did lift in a couple of places (after I had to reposition them slightly) but a blob of Gel was applied under the lifted areas with the point of a scalpel, and that did the trick.

I didn't want these grills to look brand new, so I pressed and rubbed the rounded end of the scalpel's handle over them to make them look a bit dented and fatigued.

Also notice that the sprung 'catch' has been attached to the Fan cover grill LHS and also the dry-fitted Engine cover in the photo below:

zJdrzpL.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

poly treatment on the exhausts is a nice tip. i usually stipple on mr surfacer, but your idea looks much better

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, noeyedears said:

poly treatment on the exhausts is a nice tip. i usually stipple on mr surfacer, but your idea looks much better

Hi N.E.D.

I've always use poly as it can be left to soften the plastic for denting as well as for stippling.

Rearguards,

Badder

I've been jumping around a bit today, looking and working on various parts of the tank.

First, I decided to fit the hull MG, and fit the glacis plate with shovel, to the hull. I am loving the look of the 'Pre-mud mud' BTW. But it will be painted over/changed/added to in some way or another, and not necessarily in the logical order.

wJMiWA7.jpg

Note that normally I'd have painted the shovel and MG off the model, but I'm trying to get used to building a model entirely before any paint goes on. I notice that I've not removed the seam line on the shovel handle - even though I did give it a going over with a diamond file. 

I've also cut the last panel off the tanks RHS side skirt. I've checked on the Early Tiger and it's side skirts had no bracing under the 'flaps' except for the first and last panels which were 'blocked off' by triangular braces at their forward and aft end respectively. Also shown is one of the kit's 'alternative' mud-flaps which I trimmed as a possible 'hinge donor' for the damaged mud-flap on this Tiger.

mYp4K3X.jpg

I've also been looking at the kit's tow cables. The cable on the RHS has to be released from the hull to allow the opening of the fan cover. I could bend the kit's plastic cable, but that's risky and I think it's better to replace the cable entirely (and the cable opposite)

I have some bicycle brake cable of the correct diameter, but it's not such a 'coarse' twist as the kit's. Still, I'm going to use it.

FK4cRby.jpg

One thing I've been concerned about all the while, is the underside of the engine cover:

0Hy0dhW.jpg

Obviously, the real thing doesn't look anything like this. I will investigate and scratch something acceptable.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Close of play for today, with the engine covers closed.

bO65Vy1.jpg

uxaFoDC.jpg

ZMclARn.jpg

D0hQKZf.jpg

5UnLbDk.jpg

iivA28V.jpg

TFL

Badder

ps thanks for all the comments here, and  for the laughs we've had today in this GB.

• Like 5

Looks great, and I Love that bit of a damaged look  on the rear end you've got going on  badder, some of those ideas will be shamelessly taken into consideration for future projects

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Looks great, and I Love that bit of a damaged look  on the rear end you've got going on  badder, some of those ideas will be shamelessly taken into consideration for future projects

Thanks Glynn,

You're welcome. There'll be a fair bit more damage to come. Hopefully I'll be able to make it look realistic!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice work Badder, your pace of build is impressive.

Hi Clive,

Thanks. I built my first Tiger over a weekend and had it painted by the following weekend. I've improved  a lot since then!

Oh, and for 'improved' read 'I am now able to shove a 0.8mm drill bit 1cm straight down through the tip of my index finger, jam it into the bone and have to twist it in order to get it out, and all without crying!'  Still, the exhaust shroud is looking more punctured than my finger, so that's good.

My wife said I should have disinfected my finger. I explained that I can't get disinfectant that deep inside my finger. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get Tamiyitis.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Clive,

Thanks. I built my first Tiger over a weekend and had it painted by the following weekend. I've improved  a lot since then!

Oh, and for 'improved' read 'I am now able to shove a 0.8mm drill bit 1cm straight down through the tip of my index finger, jam it into the bone and have to twist it in order to get it out, and all without crying!'  Still, the exhaust shroud is looking more punctured than my finger, so that's good.

My wife said I should have disinfected my finger. I explained that I can't get disinfectant that deep inside my finger. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get Tamiyitis.

Rearguards,

Badder

Badder, ouch I've done that but not that far.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Badder said:

I'd still take it to A&E B, make sure it is cleaned out (even on a Bank-Holiday).

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'd still take it to A&E B, make sure it is cleaned out (even on a Bank-Holiday).

No way! Last time I went to our A&E it was a 4hr wait. Besides, as I said, the drill bit went in about 1cm and penetrated the bone. Cleaning that out would require surgery.  Although I have a 'wonky' immune system, I am trusting it'll work - the drill bit was brand new and has only been in contact with plastic, so I think it was pretty sterile.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I was trying to impart some damage to the exhaust shroud by drilling holes in it, but did more damage to my finger. Although a deep and - for a few minutes - a very painful wound, it is as discernible as one made by  hypodermic needle.  However, here's what the drill bit can do to plastic:

i2lN59i.jpg

The access hatch to the cooling fans will be open, exposing the underside. Obviously, Tamiya never considered this eventuality, and so didn't bother with detailing it here. I haven't as yet searched for views of the underside, but I thought I'd attack it with a file and create some variation in the depth of the grid pattern.

DIrq0MC.jpghh

No, that's not blood, it's Burnt Umber ink and it's been there for ages.

BTW, I've read somewhere that mesh was sometimes added to the underside of access hatches, as well as on top.  I've never seen any photographic evidence, but if anyone can support this claim I'd be grateful.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Badder said:

🤔, the badder house holds well used  thesaurus has been thumbed through again I see, tamiyitis😁, wait till Google gets hold of this 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

'TAMIYITIS'

Inflammation resulting from the accidental, or deliberate insertion of fine particles of Tamiya 1/35th Tiger I (Fruhe) plastic into the body.

• Haha 4