CROUCHING TIGER, FINISHED AND IN RFI.

Badder

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looking sharp Badder

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looking very impressive Badder! It does look fantastic in the sun.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks chaps.

Hopefully the Tiger will be all finished by end of play Tuesday.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

Hi Badder,

As the mates said before, it looks great with natural light. I also use the "gravity" to do that with the wheels, because it is something very natural, more matter in the places where it is necessary to have it and less in those that no, simple and effective.
That "zebra leg" in the cannon is very "cool", I imagine that this time it has not given you a headache as with "Nassy".

Cheers Badder 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

That "zebra leg" in the cannon is very "cool", I imagine that this time it has not given you a headache as with "Nassy".

Cheers Badder 

Hi Francis,

Thanks. I laughed at the 'zebra leg' description. Very good!

Well, this time the kit came with the 'kill ring' decal. The Nashorn didn't, so had to be painted on.

Incidentally, the thick black rings stand for 10 kills each, so this Tiger knocked out over 90 enemy vehicles. Tamiya make no reference to it at all, but Tiger SO4 was Michael Wittmann's 'Winter Tiger', so the large number of 'kills' is explained!

I saw a video of someone making this Tiger kit, and having huge amounts of trouble getting the decal on.... placing it, lifting it, re-placing it, re-adjusting it, re-lifting it, re-re-adjusting it.... It took him about 25mins. It took me 2 attempts.

Rearguards,

Badder

Incidentally, if anyone else uses the decal, which admittedly is large and MIGHT cause problems, it can sometimes be easier to cut it into two shorter lengths, get the small rings on first, then place the larger section on and slide it to match up.

• Haha 1

Hmmmm....  A bit hit and miss today!

First off I got the wheels more or less sorted, with just about the right amount of mud and remnants of whitewash.....

XdjgAlV.jpg

And for those of you who can't be bothered or lack the knack of working it out, here's the other side:

glui8IF.jpg

Yes, I have yet to balance the colours between the sets of wheels. I am assuming that the Tiger did not run through asymmetrically coloured puddles/mud.

Then I thought I'd get the last few bits fixed in place. That meant having to make the screw-down clamp for the engine cover's sealable air vent (This was screwed down when the Tiger was in 'wading'  mode. The circular cap presumably had a rubber seal running around the underside. With that made, I set about weathering it... just some discoloration due to heat, and a bit of rust showing through.

Preliminary dabs of ink, which, when dry, were blended with a stiff brush:

GDLWhB0.jpg

To give this, now fixed in place:

9km7nW4.jpg

And that's where my problems started.

I have 4 different bottles of CA... 2 thin, 1 medium and 1 Gel. And every single one of them had 'gone off', remaining liquid for far too long and sticking at about 5 percent efficiency. I even tried gluing my fingers together. I suspect they may have stuck after several minutes, but certainly not within  10 seconds. Luckily, the engine cover has a fairly large contact area at the hinges, so I 'winged it' with some Gel which seemed the most 'lively' of the dud glues.

But even that wouldn't work for the remaining parts to be added.... a hold-open latch for the cooling fan cover, and the bloomin' tow cable which I have broken, yet again!

So, it's off to town tomorrow, out of necessity, and my first time 'venturing out into the wider world' since I've been under the weather. I'm still not well, but needs must when the Devil drives.

IF I don't pass out and end up in hospital, and IF the pile of poop car I now have lasts the distance, I should hopefully have the Tiger all done and beautifully photographed by tomorrow evening.

Wish me luck!

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Hi Badder, 

I see that you have had problems with the CA, I don't know if it will be the same, but I also have problems with the CA, in my case, it is the one that is bought in the stores of "Chinese", nothing special, of the liquid type of 3 grams
When summer arrives and the temperature begins to rise, I have noticed that the AC, loses efficiency, especially with the PEs, better not talk, and it does not matter if you open another, same result.
Logically, it occurred to me to "cool" the CA, and ... voilà, success.:phew:
Fix at the moment, as it should be, and the liquid, semi-gel state it has when it opens, is what it has.
It already seems that it is not necessary to cool it, but for now, I will continue as a precaution.

By the way, poor workbench, we must see how we "get dirty" when we are in full creative process ... lol :poo:

Cheers Badder 👍

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Badder, 

I see that you have had problems with the CA, I don't know if it will be the same, but I also have problems with the CA, in my case, it is the one that is bought in the stores of "Chinese", nothing special, of the liquid type of 3 grams
When summer arrives and the temperature begins to rise, I have noticed that the AC, loses efficiency, especially with the PEs, better not talk, and it does not matter if you open another, same result.
Logically, it occurred to me to "cool" the CA, and ... voilà, success.:phew:
Fix at the moment, as it should be, and the liquid, semi-gel state it has when it opens, is what it has.
It already seems that it is not necessary to cool it, but for now, I will continue as a precaution.

By the way, poor workbench, we must see how we "get dirty" when we are in full creative process ... lol :poo:

Cheers Badder 👍

Hi mate,

I think the CA 'went off' because air/moisture got into it all over time. You know how the nozzles get bunged up and you have to keep drilling them out? I usually find that one day the lid gets glued tight to the nozzle and so I have to unscrew the whole lot and transfer it to another bottle, and I think that leads to doom. The CA kind of separates into gel and water? That's my theory anyway!

I will try the fridge option, although I don't think heat is the cause.

As for my 'workbench[, the Tiger was sat on an old case for technical drawing instruments, and the other 'messy' work surface was a sheet of sponge which I sit my models on when I'm applying washes with weathering powders. I dab the wet (powdered) brush on the foam to take off the excess, and when the foam has dried I can re-use the powder that's been left on the sponge. Or I can wet my brush, dab it on the sponge and re-use it that way.

But, in actual fact, my workbench IS FAR MESSIER than can be seen in any photo I've ever posted!

i did manage to get some medium CA today - the only shop in town which sells thin CA was closed. grrrrrrr!

Anyway, Tiger will be finished later today.

Rearguards,

Badder

TIGER 'FINISHED' AND PICS IN RFI (ARTIFICIAL LIGHTING SERIOUSLY DENUDED THE WHITEWASH TO YELLOWWASH!)

SUNLIT PICS WILL BE POSTED HERE (AND THE RFI) TOMORROW.

TFL

Badder

• Like 3

• Badder changed the title to CROUCHING TIGER, FINISHED AND IN RFI.
35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice one Badder, thanks for your participation.

Thanks CLive,

A pleasure to be a part of it, as always.

Pics in RFI

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1