CROUCHING TIGER, FINISHED AND IN RFI.

Badder

Even the best professional model companys get kit dimensions wrong occasionally, so rest assured badder 1  little size hiccup wont hurt, your still no where near hobbyboss's tally😀

• Haha 2

The air filters have been a PITA and still aren't perfect, but I must move on!

For reference, I took 3 slices through a felt-tip body to make the air fllters and topped each off with a 6mm washer.

The hole in each washer was filled with modelling putty and partly  reamed out with the rounded end of a file handle.

EZBKhGh.jpg

vlQb2ao.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:49 AM, Hewy said:

Even the best professional model companys get kit dimensions wrong occasionally, so rest assured badder 1  little size hiccup wont hurt, your still no where near hobbyboss's tally😀

Hi Glynn,

They may not know they've made a mistake or six, but I know where all my errors are! For the engine and associated gubbins, every single part is going to be highly inaccurate. Still, there'll be stuff that can't be seen, stuff that can only be seen from one or two directions, and stuff that'll be covered over by something else. A figure sitting with his feet in the compartment will be one of those things.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

Oh potty!

I was going to share some photos of the progress on the engine, but my camera is playing up. I think it's the memory card. I hope it's the memory card! The camera isn't able to display the photos and my laptop can't find the photos on the camera.

I will have to purchase a new memory card tomorrow and hopefully I can post the pics then,

But what I've done in regards to the engine is to add a 'tower' to each of the rocker arm covers in advance of adding the magnetos. I've also added an air-pipe either side of the cooling-fan motor which sits in the 'V' of the piston blocks, I've also added some smaller details to this end of the engine.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Hi Badder. Well the engine was looking rather good last time seen. Nice work on the filters. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Well the engine was looking rather good last time seen. Nice work on the filters. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

It was the memory card, now replaced, so here's a few photos of the engine as it stands now. I gave it a going over with ink so it's wet and looking a bit too glossy in places

VjLuKzi.jpg

This end of the engine will be under the deck and facing the hull end plate, so much of this won't be seen - hence I wasn't to fussy about the cleaning-up. How it looks from directly above is more important.

CmV2bDs.jpg

AvVNb8b.jpg

I'm currently working on the firewalls for the engine bay and cooling fan compartments. One really odd thing is that the details on the inside of the hull's end plate (exhaust fittings) and the torsion bar fittings in the bottom of the hull seem to be very slightly off centre.

Rearguards,

Badder 

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Your engine is looking great B.

On 30/06/2019 at 20:41, Badder said:

my camera is playing up. I think it's the memory card. I hope it's the memory card!

18 minutes ago, Badder said:

was the memory card

That's a relief.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hewy said:

An impressive little model in its own right your creating there badder 

Thanks Glynn,

But it is my nature to be very critical of my own work. I will be rebuilding the top air intake and 3 air filters though. They looked a bit messy for my liking and whilst trying to clean them up with some wet 'n' dry I took a bit too much off the air intake and ruined its shape. Having built the bloomin' things 4 or 5 times now, I think I've got the art narrowed down, so hopefully they'll turn out great this time!

Rearguards

Badder.

• Like 1

The longitudinal firewalls have been fixed in place The two tall pipes from the back of the engine will be trimmed to the correct height and will connect to the pipes from the cooling fans on either side of the engine compartment. 

BmnkBg7.jpg

I increased the amount of denting in the tops of the external air filters.

k14bM3M.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

without blowing smoke up your harris ole - this really is proving to be THE build of the GB - keep it up mate - it's very 'inspiring' and lots of ideas for us mere mortals to aspire to...

...loving hat engine - :thumbsup:

Cheers - Steve

PS - Colin loves it too ;)

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2019 at 10:46 PM, BIG X said:

without blowing smoke up your harris ole - this really is proving to be THE build of the GB - keep it up mate - it's very 'inspiring' and lots of ideas for us mere mortals to aspire to...

...loving hat engine - :thumbsup:

Cheers - Steve

PS - Colin loves it too ;)

You are far too kind Steve,

Well, apart from the dubious metaphor, that is. What native americans did for kicks is something I'd rather not think about. 🙂

As for my 'hat engine', I've got to a point where I'm making the last few components and working out how to fix them all together (the order of assembly)

Rearguards,

Badder.

ps Does your neighbour know that you attribute human characteristics to his/her dog? (accepting that he/she has named it Colin rather than Bouncer or Killer?)

• Haha 2

Trying to scratch-build an engine 'by eye' was never going to be easy, but I figured it was going to be easier and quicker than taking dimensions from photographs and drawings. The temptation with the latter would be to model every single part, as accurately as possible, and that would take far longer than this GB lasts. 

Still, I know that I've been less accurate than I should have been. The engine itself is an approximation in all respects and so the auxilliary parts around the engine have to be an approximation as well. And getting those to relate to and fit around the engine and have them all relate to each other and the engine bay isn't easy, However, I think I've broken the back of it and now have the remaining components sorted in respect of their construction, positional relationships and order of assembly.  

I positioned the engine using the photos for reference, then marked the points where the air pipes intersected the longitudinal firewalls. I then cut into the firewalls and, bending some plastic rod, made the air pipes which connect the cooling fans to the engine,  I had to make the 'tops' of the 'towers' (where the magnetos fit) before bending and fitting the air pipes around them. I don't know what these 'tops' are as yet, but I will look them up.

So, here's a view of things as they stand at the moment, with everything dry-fitted.

wyDPhSM.jpg

I still have to make those magnettos, replace the 3 air-fiters, add details to the air pipes, add some more tubing along the sides of the engine and add all of the wiring.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Just now, PlaStix said:

That is looking really impressive Badder - absolutely wonderful scratchbuilding as usuall. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

One day I'm going to make/paint something 'spot on' first time and then leave it well alone! Just the one day. Some day.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Badder said:

Thanks Stix,

One day I'm going to make/paint something 'spot on' first time and then leave it well alone! Just the one day. Some day.

Rearguards,

Badder

....if you don't mind........I am not going to hold my breath until that day! 😜

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Haha 2

I have hit a snag.......

Some of you may have noticed that the engine and auxiliary components here:

adc7Wz1.jpge

Are set up slightly different to the engine and auxiliary components here;

2Nekv4G.jpg

Now, I based the dimensions of my engine on the photo directly above. As you can see, the 3 air filters are all in plain view and the bottom-most one (nearest the turret) is NOT tucked under the engine deck. Also, the thick air pipes from the fan compartments (top left and right of the engine bay) almost snuggle around the rearmost air filter. Also notice that the forward end of the 'cowbell' air intake upon which the filters sit, is rounded.

In the top set of photos it can be seen that the air filter nearest the turret is tucked slightly under the engine deck, Also, the air pipes from the cooling fans are nowhere near the rearmost air filter. In fact, the space between them is wide enough to accommodate a thick black coolant? pipe. There are also 2 long, grey pipes laying alongside each side of the engine/filters. And finally - but not visible in the top set of photos - it transpires that the 'cowbell' air intake has a squared off end (as can also be seen in the video)

Now, I am perfectly aware that the topmost set of photos features a scratch-built Tiger I in 1/6th scale BUT the engine is definitely a HL-210 as it has the 3 air filters. Mid and late Tigers were powered by HL-230 engines fitted with either 2 larger air filters, or the 'cyclone' air filter system. So, the photo above is definitely a HL-210, but I am now wondering if it is powering a Tiger 1 initial? I can find no mention of an 'early HL-210', but that may well be what is shown in the bottom photo.

Having said that, I've seen an Academy Tiger Early with a complete interior and the engine looks pretty much like the one directly above, except that the cooling pipes are not visible at all, being tucked deep down in the engine bay. So, whilst the HL-210 engine has been well documented/recorded and reproduced in model form, the layout of all of the 'gubbins' around it seems to be open to conjecture.

Whatever, I suspect the engine in the top set of photos is the one I should be copying, and not the one in the photo directly above. The extra water and air cooling pipes will help hide the worst of my sins, if nothing else.

The only problem with this, is that I'm going to have to lower my engine deeper into the bottom of the hull - because not only do I have to tuck that forward air filter slightly under the engine deck, but I've got to make room for the repositioning of the engine to increase the gap between the rearmost air filter and the air cooling pipes

HO HUM!!!

TFL

Badder

• Sad 1

Finally got some quiet time and found a great thread straight away.

I share your 'build three times and then maybe another go later' approach. I have no time for these 'perfect first time' wannabes, if it's worth doing once it's well worth doing several times :D 

I brought a set of Fruil tracks for a 1/48 KV tank, they're good as aircraft nose weights if a little pricey.

Fantastic work so far I hope it continues.

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Finally got some quiet time and found a great thread straight away.

I share your 'build three times and then maybe another go later' approach. I have no time for these 'perfect first time' wannabes, if it's worth doing once it's well worth doing several times :D 

I brought a set of Fruil tracks for a 1/48 KV tank, they're good as aircraft nose weights if a little pricey.

I laughed so loud I nearly woke the wife up!

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Fantastic work so far I hope it continues.

Thanks SleeperServices. (soz, I've forgotten your name again and don't have time to go back and search for it)

I've spent the vast majority of today's work trying to rebuild those filters and the air intake. As of right now, I have destroyed the old air intake and have no replacement, and I've got 3 detached air filters and about 8 failed attempts at new ones. I've also had to replace the 'tops' of the engine 'towers' after accidentally knocking them off, and I've made a botched attempt at making the magnetos. So, all in all, a pretty rubbish day it's been     model-maker I've been.

Still, there's always tomorrow.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BREAKING NEWS!

After 27.2 failed attempts, II think  I'm finally happy with the 3 air filters.

The problem in making them has always been a lack of good tools: a mini-lathe and a decent drill in particular. I really should get myself a Dremmel. I've had to make do with twizzling a pair of dividers to cut out circles in plasticard or FTINFBISS, or trying to cut biro bodies into perfect cross sections with nothing more than a small hacksaw or razor saw. A lot of filing and sanding was required to finish things off.  Whatever, producing 3 perfect, identical cylinders has proven next to impossible.

The idea to use washers was a stroke of genius - at least allowing me to produce decent tops to the filters. They weren't perfect replicas of the originals, but they were better than I could make by hand.

This time, I realised I could improve the look a bit further by using an extra washer on each filter. Rather than start from scratch I decided to use the old filters. Unfortunately, the washers on those were impossible to remove without damaging the cylinders. That Gorilla Gel Superglue really did its job. So, I had to flip the filters over and make the bottoms the new tops.

I've also made a start on replacing the cowbell air intake. Here's everything, dry-fitted.

hGIC3Rs.jpg

I have to 're-dimple' the tops of the filters.

With regards to the magnetos, I've seen those supplied with the Academy 'full interior' Tiger I early, and they are nothing more than a small cylindrical section stuck on the end of  larger diameter cylinder with no other details - completely inaccurate. This gives me confidence to settle for a mid-way house between their magnetos and copies of the real ones (which were beyond my skills)

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

Glad you are making progress again........you are almost up to where you were before! Visiting your thread is sometimes like time travelling! Fingers crossed you keep progressing forward. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Haha 1