Tim's Airfix Tiger

Joining you with this unboxed Airfix kit.

Airfix-Tiger.jpg

Here are the parts.

Parts.jpg

Airbrushed Humbrol 225 yesterday, with my 88mm.

H225-Parts.jpg

Holding now until next weekend.

Planning to build this with the mudguards, storage bin, and smoke generators.

• Like 7

Hi Tim. I made one of these a while back and it built up into a very nice Tiger 1. I added a few bits and pieces but the base kit is very good. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

I bought a couple  of these along with a sherman for greeblys on a still ongoing hasbro  millennium falcon build, every time I delve into my scrap spares bucket I pull out something from this kit 😀

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 6:44 AM, Hewy said:

I bought a couple  of these along with a sherman for greeblys on a still ongoing hasbro  millennium falcon build, every time I delve into my scrap spares bucket I pull out something from this kit 😀

Friends into sci-fi are very, very good sources of 80% present kits indeed. If you're into What-If? missing engine decks, cupolas, and similar are no problem :D

That Airfix kit was among the first I built. Mum wouldn't allow me to do German stuff but Dad was inattentive. Be good to see this old campaigner getting a moment in the spotlight.

• Like 2

Both wheelsets.  

S5000002.jpg

I'm convinced that Airfix has this arrangement wrong, but there's no way to change it.

And the hull assembled, wheels on one side - whilst I consider the best approach for front mudguards.

S5000003.jpg

• Like 2

I bought a couple of these unboxed Tiger kits for a pound each a couple of years ago at a Sunday carboot.

Predictably I've used the engine decks in my ongoing Sci Fi WIP. It had to be done!

And good luck and thank you to your lad in the Army. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been told that improvements to this kit are akin to "polishing a turd".

Challenge accepted.

So my no cost plan for that storage bin.

S5000114.jpg

Floor and top from a takeaway curry lid, sides - doughnuts at work that day, I took the carton.

And about an hour's work later.

S5000115.jpg

Fitted to the turret.

S5000116.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Tim,

With your turret bin, that looks like a Tiger now.  Maybe a bit later than Airfix's dessert scheme, but it is a Tiger.

I'm aiming for a vaguely Normandy Tiger.  Enough to act as a target in the gunsight of a rocket-firing Typhoon.

A colleague is sorting some German tank cross decals for me - and it will be ambush camo later this week.

• Like 1

Nice one Tim.  The Normandy look is a good idea, as the cupola makes it a later model Tiger anyway.  It does look like zimerritt is out of the question, but if you take attention away from that by busying the hull up with dark green/red brown camo streaks or patches that may do the trick.  The hull mg might do with replacing, the stubby thing provided by Airfix doesn't really do your good work justice.

But considering the kit has allegedly been voted Airfix's worst ever kit - as mentioned in the 50 years of Airfix book - what you've done here is quite remarkable.

Regards,

Rob H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tim,

I'm not seeing any photos acccept for the first post And no photos visible in the gallery either.

Is it just me or have you deleated them all?

Rearguards,

Badder