SPz Abt 503, 123, Jan/Feb '43

Hello @Ozzy

I'm new to the brand, and have only used three components from the bag - the adhesive, and some of the powders.

The set I ordered was the "Krycell FINE and EXTRA" - and then, as I say, I got lucky with an extra bag of FINE powder.

This is the most expensive kit, there are other (cheaper) kits with products NOT in this bag.

Would I recomend the brand?  I do like the concept, and am in the early stages of learning, but it is too early for me to make a recomendation.

OT: I would also advise caution working with bright white products in the current weather (UK summer heat) - several times I came into the house after working outside, and it took longer than the climb upstairs to the bathroom for my eyes to adjust to the gloom indoors.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'll take a view on whether I want to build more layers of snow

And, with a few days in hand, I've added a few more layers of snow - all 'EXTRA' this time.

pzvi-stgb-074.jpg

If I want 'deep and crisp and even', then I'll need a lot more layers of snow - but then I should have started with a smooth base.

As it is, this looks like a heavy frosting

pzvi-stgb-077.jpg

Detail with figure - though I feel he'd be better wrapped up if that snow were real.

• Like 3

Mmm, getting very quiet in here.

Progress on the RyeField - you may have spotted that I switched my RyeField fenders to the Zvezda kit?

I've stared making replacement fenders using Aber brass

pzvi-stgb-078.jpg

The fenders are soldered, which has been a bit of a learning curve - but they did improve as I went along.  Some will want re-soldering before they are cleaning up.

The RyeField barrel also went to the Zvezda Tiger, this is an RB Models example, dry fitted to the tank. The muzzle is CA glued - the clean-up is simpler, and it shouldn't encounter the same strains as the fenders.

• Like 4

Hi Robert. Your snow base looks to be progressing well - as does your RFM Tiger. Not sure I'd have the patience to try and solder PE parts! If I can fix it with CA glue then it doesn't get used!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly two weeks since my last post and little more than one left in this build, there is no way I'll finish both Tigers.  One will be pushing it.

For now I'll concentrate on the Zvezda, cause my approach to this kit is simpler than my approach to the RyeField.

(FWIW, I think the RyeField is the better base kit, but ambition is getting the better of me.)

Progress, of sorts.  I'm working on a crew man for the Tiger - this is the seated figure from the MiniArt German Tank Crew. Kharkov 1943 set (https://miniart-models.com/products/35280-german-tank-crew-kharkov-1943/).  The box art looks like SS crew, but I feel this character can be painted as Heer.

pzvi-stgb-079.jpg

He is still work in progress.

If you look at MiniArt's own photos of this set (see link), you'll see that, when built, this figure's neck appears too long. Several of his colleagues have the same fault.

The fault isn't with the figure, but with his scarf. This is moulded as a thick, solid ring.  I've split the ring in two, and will fill the resultant gaps.  There is a small over his left shoulder, and this larger on on his right.

pzvi-stgb-080.jpg

• Like 4

And back to the main vehicle today ...

I've started using the Krycell Ice and Snow Wash from my Precision Ice and Snow kit to add frosting to the wheels.  One side only so far ...

I really like the effect on flat faces of wheels, and for a late Tiger I, or a King Tiger one quick wash would produce excellent results.

pzvi-stgb-081.jpg

Dished wheels are harder.  The wash is essentially a binder (i.e. glue) and the snow powders.

The powder settles into hollows, which as I say, looks great on flat wheels.

To replicate dished wheels with a broad cover of ice, like those to the rear of the real Tiger, you (I) must keep the wash moving until it is tacky enough to stay in one place.

pzvi-stgb-082.jpg

Some advantages of the binder used are that it can be scratched and moved around while still soft.  The binder can be softened with water when dry, to allow removal or other 'hairspray' approaches.

The snow is very hard, en-mass, when it is dry.

Quirks of the Ice and Snow wash:

• This product is a powder in a runny binder.  The powder settles out quickly. I wound up digging the powder out of the bottom of the bottle before applying it.
  • The binder is slow drying.  This gives plenty of working time if you want it, but can be a pain if you are waiting for it to become tacky, let alone dry.
  • Second and subsequent layers can soften earlier layers - don't be unnecessarily harsh when applying them, or you will disturbe otherwise dry 'snow'.

• Like 3

I think you have captured the look of the snow on the wheels in the photos beautifully Robert! Very nicely done. Keep going. I'm really hoping to see both of these in the gallery!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Been working with some ABER photo etch ... I HATE PE ... five hinges: three false, one frozen, and one actually works!

Front fenders (?) - each side consists of a plate and bracing soldered together, and the hinge (four parts, including the pin) CA'd on.

pzvi-stgb-084.jpg

And a turret bin.  These late 1942 production tigers were issued with Pz III turret bins.  I have been dreading making these ... dread was justified.

pzvi-stgb-083.jpg

Started by soldering the front (turret side) face onto the side and bottom frame.  That was strong, but messy.  OK, sorted out the mess.

Then CA'd the top front.  Let that harden off and the front with Milliput to fill any gaps and (hopefully) lend strength to the unit.

CA'd the back (engine side), and top flang (hidden here), allowing that lot to harden off, before adding the lid.

That left me with an issue - the back of the bin was about 3 mm short of the flange and lid.  OK, pack that out with Milliput, smooth off and wait for that lot to harden off.

Finally add details - hinges, locks and strapping.

• Like 3

Looking very nice Robert, thanks for taking part in the GB. I look forward to seeing both Tigers before long, you can now concentrate on your D-Day build now.

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Ok, made the cut in the gallery, I'll try to get some piccies in here over the next few days

Hi Robert,

You had a whole hour left before closing. I made it  in with 6 mins to spare and wish I'd had an hour! I could build 6 1/16TH Tigers and 6 accompanying dioramas in that time!

Glad you made it into the gallery.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looking very nice Robert, thanks for taking part in the GB. I look forward to seeing both Tigers before long, you can now concentrate on your D-Day build now.

Thank you Ozzy.  I notice a bit of twitching is needed on the Zvezda, and much more work on the Rye Field.

19 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Robert,

You had a whole hour left before closing. I made it  in with 6 mins to spare and wish I'd had an hour! I could build 6 1/16TH Tigers and 6 accompanying dioramas in that time!

Glad you made it into the gallery.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks B, 6 mins, 6 Tigers, and 6 dioramas?  I understand ... 'Badder'.

Even with an hour or so to spare, running close to the deadline last night means I woke with a headache this morning.

Much improved now.  And, now that I can see, I notice, on my desk, a few bits and pieces that I should have added - but, a) I missed them last night, and b) knowing my fumble rate, fixing them would've taken me past the witching hour.

• Like 2