SPz Abt 503, 123, Jan/Feb '43

Hi Glynn.  Good to see more progress and that they are both progressing well despite you knocking bits off!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

Thanks Stix.

Today I added yet MORE primer.  This time Halfords White, to both vehicles.

pzvi-stgb-059.jpg

The RyeField plastic seems to turn the primer yellow - though I was fast running out.

pzvi-stgb-060.jpg

That wasn't an issue with the Zvezda plastic (admittedly, I sprayed the Zvezda before the RyeField).

You may also note, I've been adding transparent green (Tamiya) to the sides of the glazing.  I want to back that up with white before painting the frames of the vision ports black.

While on the subject of painting ... this arrived today

pzvi-stgb-061.jpg

a QuickWheel paint mask.  This one is designed for the RyeField kit, but I hope it works with the Zvezda too.

My excuse? I've something like 128 wheel faces to paint (do the math) and this *should* make life easier ...

• Like 6

Had a chance to use the QuickWheel mask.  MUCH easier than paper masks or hand painting.  What do you guys think?

The mask was designed for the RyeField kit, so it should work here ...

pzvi-stgb-062.jpg

And on the Zvezda wheels?

pzvi-stgb-063.jpg

I've also had a chance to look at the commanders' cupolas

pzvi-stgb-064.jpg

There is some paint on the RF turret and hull rear (chanelling Ozzy's build for that trick) ... but I was intending to paint the cupolas and turret hatches ... so much for planning!

You might notice, I've used the RyeField barrel on the Zvezda kit.  I have an RB version for the RF model.

• Like 6

Hi Glynn. I'd say that wheel mask thingy works really well and that you are making excellent progress with both kits! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Good bit of masking robert, your masking tool works as well as mine  i see 😋

Thanks Glynn.  Yes, I like the way masking works on no-tyre wheels ;)

33 minutes ago, Hewy said:

also i dont mind taking the credit for your work off stix 😋

I'm not surprised people have trouble with my name - it is hidden in in plain sight ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Glynn. I'd say that wheel mask thingy works really well and that you are making excellent progress with both kits! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Mmm, yes it does work well.  Very easy to slot wheels in and out for spraying ... and the mask is still good for a few more models.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Mmm, yes it does work well.  Very easy to slot wheels in and out for spraying ... and the mask is still good for a few more models.

Hi Glynn Robert, 😉

Just catching up - there's so many great builds to follow in between my own faffing about with my own. Great progress. All looking excellent.

I have to ask though...... 'The mask is still good for a few more models.' Er, surely it'll last for hundreds more models?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Hello @Badder

'A few more' is a good old British understatement.

Tens more may be realistic.  But hundreds more? That might be pushing it with this user and mask .

One thing I would do in future to use some form of separating spray to make cleaning the mask easier, and to stop the paint building too much.

• Like 1

Thank-you Steve.

These are nice kits.

I like the Ryefield, not too expensive if you look on EvilBay.  This is their first kit, which does have an issue with the 'Afrika' fenders - nothing that can't be sorted out, but ... I'd point most people to their later versions.

And Ryefield's tracks are going to be a 'Marmite' choice - you'll love them or loath them.

• Like 1

Had a chaotic few days - nothing bad, but not really organised.

Have made some progress, including gluing & painting the RyeField cupola view ports, and, on the same vehicle, the suspension.

The RyeField torsion bars each have an option for fixed or flexible.  I've kept three fixed, and made the rest flexible.  One torsion bar is a little short, so is too flexible - given that it is only one, I must take the blame or that - I just wish I'd noticed sooner as I could have made that one fixed.

pzvi-stgb-066.jpg

Three fixed torsion bars arrowed (with red dots on the hull bottom).

On both vehicles smoke grenade brackets have been added - still need launchers.

I've also started thinking about bases. 

pzvi-stgb-065.jpg

Having used three discs for these two bases, I realise I need three bases (two for the Tigers and one for one for my D-Day Geschützwagen).

• Like 4

Once I was happy with the torsion position I glued them all in place, as I was worried about them falling out. Your base looks nice  and undulating.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2019 at 18:54, Ozzy said:

Once I was happy with the torsion position I glued them all in place, as I was worried about them falling out. Your base looks nice  and undulating.

Mmm. I'm hoping that the wheels will lock each other in - my torsion bars were a push fit due to paint build up, so I'm reasonably confident that won't be an issue.

Pizza bases ... I found a forth base hidden in one of the Tiger boxes

These are four foam pizza bases, one used to add undulation to two others.  The plan is that the rough pink one (burnt sienna) will be used for Normandy, the smoother pair will be used for the Tigers.

pzvi-stgb-067.jpg

Think I'm beginning to learn how to use plaster bandage on these things ...

Use a plastic sheet to act as a smooth water-proof surface (how much longer will we have this stuff?)

In this case my terrain is smooth and shallow, so I glued it on first.

Cut several strips of bandage to size (allow a wrap around).  Make the underside (non-terrain, hidden side) first.

Spray the foam base, use a plant spritzer or similar
Press one bandage on.

Spray that bandage, to wet it out. Wrap the ends of the bandage around the base,

Add remaining strips of bandage, one at a time, spraying as you go.

Turn over laying the wet base on the plastic sheet.

Glue on any bulky terrain formers.

Cut out and add bandages as before.

Protect the top surface with more plastc sheet, and lay weights (book?) on the base while the plaster setts off.  This will help flatten the underside.

After a while, you can remove the book and top sheet to allow water to evaporate.  Later still, you can turn the whole thing over to allow more the underside to evaporate.

At this stage, I feel one layer of bandage per side - with overlaps - is enough to make the foam base stiff enough for our purpose.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice idea, not though of that before. 

I only came up with the idea few days back - but I was having issues un-sticking the bandage afrer soaking in a bowl, and wanted a better approach.

pzvi-stgb-068.jpg

Progress:

Filled many of the equipment holes on the Zvezda kit - these aren't appropriate to the earlier look that I want.

Added side fenders, these are from the RyeField model, again because they are the early style.

I've been spraying the base colour on the tanks - this is the first coat or so on the Zvezda model - a few more will even out some of the issues here.

Note to self ... I need to replace the lifting lug on that turret - the original has gone AWOL. 

• Like 5

Hi Robert. Good progress both with the tanks and the bases. I've used the pizza bases as part of bases I've made before but I haven’t used the whole circles before. Looks like a cracking idea.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Looks like a cracking idea.

Thanks Stix.  The bandage certainly makes the bases stiffer.  I wouldn't want to leave them unsupported in the middle, but I can see other things that could be made this way.

• Like 1

Nice progress Robert,

I hope your pizzas were tasty. I've actually used bread dough as a modelling material when I built dragon and Alien xenomorph skeletons from chicken wire. I baked the finished skeletons in the oven. Each only just fitted in - but the result was much better than expected after coats of varnish and paint. I made them about 6yrs ago and they are still 'solid'.

So I expect to see some pizza dough landscaping on your bases. And maybe some anchovies or prawns.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been away from modelling for a week.  Before I went, I stuck some plush (faux fur) to the bases ...

pzvi-stgb-069.jpg

Took a pair of sissors to one of the bases last night, then spread some PVA around to stiffen up the hairs grass ...

pzvi-stgb-070.jpg

Not too worried about the joins on this one, I have more work planned.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Cool,

And now, a bit of a chill (I hope).

I've wanted to do a winter scene for a while now, and one of these Tigers gives me a reason - so, I ordered an Ice and Snow kit from Precision Ice and Snow (no acronyms ;) ) a few weeks back ...

pzvi-stgb-071.jpg

I ordered both the Fine and the Extra (thicker) powders, then thought I should have gone for two Fine powder packs, but didn't say anything ... they sent an additional fine pack anyway, so a nice surprise :)

After a few weeks on my shelf, the Ice and show wash (top bottle on the bag) is settling, but seems to loosen with a bit of work.

Anyway, this is the snow powders with the enclosed adhesive (3 layers), loose 'snow' shaken off, followed by the powder and hairspray (2 layers, hairspray seems to build better), again shaken off...

pzvi-stgb-073.jpg

And from the top

pzvi-stgb-072.jpg

I'll take a view on whether I want to build more layers of snow

{edit}Probably will "build more layers of snow"{/edit}

• Like 2

Fantastic Robert, I’ve been looking at perhaps using some of their products on my build. It looks like you got the full set? Which bag would you recommend?

• Like 1