Stars-and-bar on SEA camouflage. Help!

quangster

Hello guys,

While researching the markings for my RF-101 build, it looks to me that different-sized national insignia were used on the camouflaged RF-101 Voodoo. The decals provided with the KH kit are somewhat larger from what I see on the period photographs.

My question is: what is the 'official' size of the 'ministars' used on USAF combat planes during this period?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Quang

A 15-inch National Star Insignia was specified for all camouflaged USAF aircraft, with the exception of the B-52, per T.O 1-1-4. The specified star size is always the diameter of the circle circumscribing the star, and not the overall diameter including the blue border. This border is always 1/8 of the radius of the circle. So the overall dimension in this case is 15 inches plus 1/4 (2 x 1/8) of 7.5 inches, or 16.875 inches. Details shown in the attached illustration.

14018_611_1.jpg

Edited by Space Ranger
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

According to Modeldecal Set 8 'United States Air Force - Tail Codes , Serials & General Markings' the standard size of national insignia on camouflaged aircraft had a 15 inch diameter (blue circle touching the star and not including any outline) .     Not to say that all had it of course but possible rule of thumb might be to compare it to the other standard markings - 24 inch high unit code letters / 6 inch high black 'AF" prefix / 15 inch high white serial numbers.

Edited by Des
an and now /
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I've seen a photo showing large stars and bars on a camouflaged Voodoo.  They appeared to be the same size as those carried on uncamouflaged examples.  Presumably this was an early camouflaged example.

Indeed the large stars and bars were used on some RF-101A during camouflage trials in conjunction with U.S. AIR FORCE script on the nose.

@Space Ranger @Des That answers my question. The kit decals are definitively too large. Thank you gents for your input.

Cheers,

Quang

Having bought sheets of stars and bars from several decal manufacturers I have noticed that none of them agree on how big 15” is in 1/72!!!!! Or any other measurement for that matter. Xtradecal seemed closest IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The RF-101Cs were deployed to SEA before the SEA camouflages was introduces. The early Recon Voodoos were NM of ADC grey, but some FR-101A and RF-101C were painted in two-tone green experimental camouflages wit the large stars and bars. There were no SEA camouflaged RF-101 wearing the large stars and bars.

spacer.png

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pat C said:

Having bought sheets of stars and bars from several decal manufacturers I have noticed that none of them agree on how big 15” is in 1/72!!!!! Or any other measurement for that matter. Xtradecal seemed closest IIRC.

That's because they don't seem to understand that the overall size is not the same as the specified size, as shown in the illustration I posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jordi said:

I think those experimental RF-101 camouflage schemes were applied for an exercise in the USA in 1964, before the USAF started using camouflage.  I don’t think any of them were ever in Vietnam in those schemes.

According to Wikipedia, the photograph of #512 posted by @Junchan was taken in 1965 at Tan Son Nhut, Vietnam.

Here's another pic of #512 returning from mission in company of another RF-101 in standard SEA colours. The camouflage pattern of the latter is one of two in use before the official TO 1-1-4 was approved.

800px-RF-101-As-33rd-TG-at-Tan-Son-Nhut-

Cheers,

Quang

5 hours ago, Jordi said:

I think those experimental RF-101 camouflage schemes were applied for an exercise in the USA in 1964, before the USAF started using camouflage.  I don’t think any of them were ever in Vietnam in those schemes.

Well, these photos were definitely not taken in the USA if you consider the quonset huts and the bare-chested crew man.

Nor was it taken in 1964 because the 3-tone camouflage and the ministars on the second RF-101 were only introduced in 1965.

So where and when could they be taken? I’m curious.

Quang

This isn't the first time these camouflaged Voodoo questions pop up. Here's a thread from a few years ago at Hyperscale, with a link to the trials report, and a good youtube link in the last post. Looks like it might be Udorn RTAFB, and not Tan Son Nhut.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/looking-for-info-on-early-voodoo-camoflage-see-exa-t231155.html

• Like 2