Handley Page Halifax scale drawings

Jonny

Good morning!

I excavated my Revell Merlin engined Halifax from the stash the other day and was delighted to find in the box another one containing the Aeroclub correction set.  So far, so good.

My problem is I’m totally confused by all the variations that are possible with the kit.  I thought I’d look for decent scale plans.  In that I’ve drawn a blank!!!

Can someone PLEASE point me towards a source of reliable (accurate) 1/72 scale plans of the Merlin engined Halifax?   

Thanks,

Jonny

I would like to think that the A. Granger set of plans published in Aerodata International No.7 “Handley Page Halifax- Merlin Engined variants” are a good source. This was first published in 1979, but I do believe you might be able to download this free off the web. 

Link - https://mxdoc.com/search/Halifax+

I cannot verify they’re accuracy, but have yet to see a better set of plans available. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly back the Granger drawings, but although they give you the relevant shapes you may still need some assistance as to which aircraft had which bits.  Kenneth Merrick's books, the old or the newer, will provide that.  However you will still benefit from photos of the aircraft you wish to model.

One qualification. If you are doing a Mk.I series i or ii, my belief is that the chin intake is deeper than shown on any drawing.  The bulge for the oil cooler was not outside the original lines but the outer shape was refined to draw the cowling closer in for a more aerodynamic shape.  But I can't prove that, anyone interested should look at the photos themselves.

• Like 2

Thank you, everyone ...

Inspired by Dave’s suggestion for obtaining the Granger drawings (and Chris’s examples) I trawled the usual online source of books and such and found a ‘used’ copy of the Aerodata International No. 7 book.  It’s on its way and should arrive in a week or so.

Thanks,  Graham, for the oft-quoted advice re. obtaining a photo of a particular airframe!  Once I’ve got hold of and consulted the Granger drawings that will be my next step.

Someone recently pointed out the HUGE advantages in subscribing to BM ... it really is by far and away the best reference site, and way better than printed magazines.  SWMBO often has cause to question my sanity when I dissolve into sometimes hysterical laughter while reading a WIP thread.  Apart from learning how someone has deal with a particular kit, there’s often a lot of banter.  No names but one source - of many - appears to come from a planet far, far away.

Thanks again,

Jonny

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

No names but one source - of many - appears to come from a planet far, far away.

Now you've gone and done it, Jonny- you'll just encourage him! 

Mike