Kanonenvogel - 1/72 Fujimi Junkers Ju-87 G-2

Lanmi

Very known Fujimi kit that is in my stash for ages. I will add a few extras, firstly Eduard canopy masks and etched seatbelts and fabulous brass cannons that I purchased in Moson model show a decade ago.

wip_stukafujimi_02.jpg?w=1024

wip_stukafujimi_03.jpg?w=1250&h=

wip_stukafujimi_04.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

wip_stukafujimi_01.jpg?w=1250&h=

Gun barrels

wip_stukafujimi_05.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

I started with the cockpit assembly and added some structural details to the completely flat cockpit side walls. I also glued nose halves to the fuselage halves.

I hope I will keep you updated with the progress.

• Like 7

welcome along and great to see another Stuka in the build with BMFC's!!! :D

Those little extras should really make it standout.

Good luck with the build, hopefully it'll be a trouble free one and I look forward to seeing her completed in the gallery.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As Rich says, there's something rather interesting about the Ju-87 with a set of F-off big guns, the box art is rather good as well :speak_cool:

You've made a good start with this one and it looks as if we're in for a treat between your added aftermarket extras along with scratch-building :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your encouragement. Here is a little progress I added scratched details at the fuselage sidewalls and here and there few boxes:

wip_stukafujimi02_04.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

Then I sprayed Gunze RLM 66 interior color

wip_stukafujimi02_02.jpg?w=1250&h=

I used oils and then a bit of drybrushed in the interior, and I glued Eduard's seat belts. Then I glued the fuselage halves together. There will be some putty needed, but nothing dramatic

wip_stukafujimi02_06.jpg?w=1250&h=

wip_stukafujimi02_07.jpg?w=1250&h=

I find out that the protective paper has glued itself to decal sheet and I was not happy with selection from the start, so I ordered aftermarket decals from Hannant's.

wip_stukafujimi02_05.jpg?w=1250&h=

I polished canopy with Tamiya polishing compound 3 stage paste. I put it just to test the transparency:

wip_stukafujimi02_08.jpg?w=1250&h=

wip_stukafujimi02_09.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

That is for now, hope I will update soon again.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Lanmi said:

I find out that the protective paper has glued itself to decal sheet and I was not happy with selection from the start, so I ordered aftermarket decals from Hannant's.

wip_stukafujimi02_05.jpg?w=1250&h=

I just had the same thing happen to my Fujimi A-7D decals. Another member saved my caboose on that front ? Liking your Stuka so far. 👍🏻Will you be adding the armor plate around the cowling/cockpit ? I built a Late war Ju-87D-5 last year

y9QaD0x.jpg

and still have my research if you need anything ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

@Corsairfoxfouruncle Thank you, your Stuka looks great, I like the cammo. Hm, I am not sure about the armor plates that I understand. As far as I see on the plans I downloaded, I do not see any significant difference in panel lines nor its thickness. I will be grateful for any help, indeed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am not progressing as quick as I would like, but here is a small update. New decals arrived, which is nice and nice reference for armor plates thanks to colleague @Corsairfoxfouruncle

wip_stukafujimi03_01.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

So, I had to dive in and scratch them. It was not too complicated.

After that, I joined wings and tails and started to fill in some gaps with Tamiya putty.

wip_stukafujimi03_02.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

wip_stukafujimi03_03.jpg?w=1250&h=

wip_stukafujimi03_06.jpg?w=1250&h=

wip_stukafujimi03_07.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=2

I hope I will be able to speed things up a bit in the coming days.

Edited by Lanmi
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Some update at last:

This picture is just to show it is good to invest in aftermarket barrels, compared to the kit ones:

wip_stukafujimi04_01.jpg?w=1250&h=

I sprayed Gunze, finishing gray primer 1500 and then sprayed yellow areas firstly with Gunze white, and then gunze RLM 04 yellow. 

wip_stukafujimi04_02.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=2

After that I sprayed some preshading along the panel lines with dark gray, and Gunze RLM 65 for the undersides, and RLM 70 and RLM 71 for the upper sides:

wip_stukafujimi04_03.jpg?w=1250&h=

wip_stukafujimi04_05.jpg?w=1250&h=

wip_stukafujimi04_06.jpg?w=1250&h=

Unfortunately, Tamiya tape left some marks on the masked areas of RLM 70, I am starting to be suspicius to the Mr. Leveling Thinner.

wip_stukafujimi04_07.jpg?w=1250&h=

I polished those areas with polishing cloth and after new layer of Tamiya clear all the marks gone away. Then I put the decals on.

wip_stukafujimi04_09.jpg?w=1250&h=

wip_stukafujimi04_10.jpg?w=772&h=&zoom=2

• Like 6

gee she looks great, those AM barrels were a good buy for this build, they're what those gun pods needed.

I would say you're right with the Levelling Solution being the cause of the tape marks. It slows the drying time alright but even after it's touch dry I'd still give it a further 24 hours to completely cure. I've used it and while it works I never really was 100% happy with it. Then I read about Tamiya's Lacquer Thinners (with the yellow cap, not the Orange cap one, that one has a retarder in it as well but it's too hot for plastics), I been sold on it. It'll work with Mr. Hobby as well, dries in about the same time but cures then as well, plus it gives the paint a super tough finish, I love the stuff.

Anyway, she does look really nice, well done on her so far, keep it up you're almost there.

• Thanks 1

very nicely done!!!! :thumbsup: Well done on completing her, she looks fantastic, and that's a really nice clean finish on her as well.

Thanks for joining us here and for bringing along a Stuka, we don't get a lot of these in builds so always nice to see one.

I hope you enjoyed the build, it was great that you could join us.

• Thanks 1