Bugatti Type 59, Matchbox, 1/32

One last one from a GB on another forum...

with-bonnet-front-right.jpg

with-bonnet-front-left.jpg

very-low-front-right-quarter.jpg

left-profile.jpg

rear-left.jpg

hight-front-right-corner.jpg

bonnet-off-head-on.jpg

bonnet-off-low-front-right.jpg

bonnet-off-high-rear-right.jpg

bonnet-off-high-rear-left.jpg

bonnet-off-right-side-high.jpg

front-left-cutaway.jpg

cutaway-front-right.jpg

A nice little kit, with quite a lot of detail on offer, but improved with some wire of various sorts and sizes. The Bugatti 59 wheels are unique, with very fine piano wire spokes, but they look like cartwheels in the original Matchbox plastic. These have been rebuilt with some Detail Master radial spoke wires intended for 1/24 50s Americana...

best,

M.

• Like 32

Nice job mate, she's a little beauty B) 

I get the feeling that it's quite a small model given the scale, is there any chance you can upload another picture with something to give an idea of the relative size, like a 50p or a tin of paint?

Cheers,

Stew

I just managed to buy one of these last month. The result is bound to be disappointing after seeing this!

Truly amazing level of detail you've managed to achieve on such a small kit. A really stunning result.

That's a real beuty M, love the engine detail and those wheels make a world of difference! 

Are they the kit tyres? I've got one of these lanquishing in a cupboard of doom somewhere as I've lost a wheel and tyre and I seemed to recall the kit tyres were hard plastic like the old Airfix 1/32nds ?

Lovely job again!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks very much, all! @Stew Dapple... your wish is my command:

with-humbrol-tinlets.jpg

There's a story to those Humbrol tinlets. Both were used on this build. The 55 Copper is for sure 35 years old, because I bought it when I was painting metal D&D figures at 17 or so; the Railway Authentics Steel is probably even older, because I inherited those paints from a guy in his 60s when I was 25... Both worked perfectly after a quick stir!

@Alpha Delta 210 I like the "cutaways' as well! It's very easy to do with these Matchbox kits, because they all have removable bonnets/engine covers. I just take a picture with the bonnet off, put it on without moving the car or camera, and take another. Then I paste the bonnet on image on top of the bonnet off one in Photoshop, and use the eraser tool to remove the bonnet layer over the engine...

@keefr22 these tyres are (hard) rubber/vinyl. It's not the same shiny stuff as in the MG TC kit that I have, but it's definitely not hard styrene.

30s-racers-2.jpg

Here's a nice grid of 1930s Historic Racers, ready for the off: Airfix 1930 Alfa Romeo (2300), Matchbox Bugatti Type 59, Matchbox Aston Martin Ulster, and Airfix MG K3 Magnette.

matchboxes-3.jpg

matchboxes-2.jpg

And finally, the current Matchbox 1/32 built cars in my collection. I have an MG TC, Porsche 935 and Auto Union Type D still to do, and there are obviously quite a few more to be had, if I can find them at reasonable prices (£30+ for a Citroen TA or Packard Victoria seems rather a lot!)

best,

M.

• Like 9

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lovely model Matt.

With some TLC those old Matchbox kits can be turned into gems.

I have one to build and am looking for a set of Le Mans Miniature wheels for it that they did for a T59 Slot Racer.

Those PE ones you used are a good viable alternative so I have made a note,