Airfix 1/600 HMS Fearless

Managed to track down an unbuilt HMS Fearless kit on eBay (I had memories of building butchering one of these as a child and thought it would be a good kit to start back with the hobby again with (albeit about 35 years later). What I hadn't remembered was just how basic the kit looks (I've managed to pick up various PE details for some of the other kits in my stash, but suspect that this might be a tad too old for anything like that to be readily available). I'm effectively new to the hobby (I was pretty dire at it as a youth, but I think the years have improved my skills and my patience), so scratch building is out of the question - in the absence of kit specific enhancements are there any viable PE accessories or other detail enhancements that I could use to improve the kit (thinking generic railings etc)? Currently have no idea where to look (I sourced my other PE accessories via Amazon & the Eduard website), so suggestions greatly appreciated.

Richard

the old White Ensign had PE for the Airfix kits in 600th scale.  Nothing specific for Fearless / Intrepid but lots of generic and general stuff which was (is) good value.  I think they come from the USA now but the sets seem to still be available if you search White EnsignModels.

And, despite it being an older kit, it can end up as quite a nice model; this is one i did way back...

Model, HMS Fearless, 2011

Model, HMS Fearless 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alchemy said:

the old White Ensign had PE for the Airfix kits in 600th scale.  Nothing specific for Fearless / Intrepid but lots of generic and general stuff which was (is) good value.  I think they come from the USA now but the sets seem to still be available if you search White EnsignModels.

And, despite it being an older kit, it can end up as quite a nice model; this is one i did way back...

Model, HMS Fearless, 2011

Model, HMS Fearless 2

Thanks for the pointer - I've ordered the White Ensign PE accessories :)

Great work on yours btw. Hope mine looks even half as good as that!

You can indeed make a reasonable Fearless from the kit - just keep in mind that it depicts her as built; if you want to depict her in the Falklands, you need to make a lot of changes (especially around the back end of the superstructure / FLYCO).

And Airfix's Seacat launchers are laughable!

• Like 3

As others have said, its possible to make a half decent representation of FEARLESS or INTREPID from this kit with the WEM PE (you'll need both sets mind you to get both the guardrails and cranes etc) and some scratch building.

The one bit of advice I would offer is do your research before you start to determine exactly which period in her life you wish to portray.  Both ships had quite significant changes through their near 40 year lives and a lot of the photographs on the web are incorrectly captioned with dates etc.  The Neil McCart book's quite good as a starting reference.

Some photos of my attempt here:

• Thanks 1