Tamiya F-14D Tomcat Paints?

Modelman9912

On 5/11/2019 at 9:12 PM, Modelman9912 said:

I am about to buy the Tamiya F-14D Tomcat and I want to paint it according to the VF-101 "Grim Reapers" variant.  I am not sure exactly what paints to buy from Tamiya.  Any help would be appreciated.

Paints I would buy for a Tomcat from the Tamiya range: none !

There are other ranges that have all the relevant paints properly matched to the various Federal Standard paints used on real Tomcats without having to mix paints or having to use spray cans like Tamiya AS25 and AS26.

The FS colours used in the camo scheme are FS 35237 for the darker blue-grey (indicated in the instructions as a mix between XF19 and XF82), FS 36320 for the medium grey (AS25) and 36375 for the light grey (AS26).

Most paint ranges have these colours in their catalogue, if you like Tamiya paints I'd try the Gunze range as they behave very similarly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While Giorgio provided the best answer, I'll provide a simple one, as I'm assuming this is one of your first models. The instruction's front page (available online if you don't have it in hand yet) will call out what paints they suggest from Tamiya's range for the model.

There are charts available to convert to another paint company if those are more readily available locally to you.

Also, depending on how far you want to take this hobby, don't feel you need to get every paint on that list. Some are for really small parts, or you can mix to get something close. Read through the instructions to see what you can get on without.

Lastly don't feel you need to get exact FSnumber paints. Look at the FS36375 from four different manufactures and you'll see how different they can be.

Good luck with your model!

• 1 month later...