Monogram RF-101B Voodoo "Black Magic"

This Monogram 1/48 RF-101B Voodoo was built several years back.   I had the kit in my stash for a awhile before deciding to do a "what if?" build.  I wanted an all-black Voodoo in a pseudo Blackbird-type look.  I don't think any recon Voodoos were painted this way, but it makes a striking appearance for these fast jets .  The Voodoo was a fast plane before the area-ruled fuselage came in vogue (iirc); she did it with good ol' brute power!   😁

I used flat, semi-glass and gloss black enamels, as well as the same range in clear acrylics to paint it and weather it.  The decals are from an 1/32 F-117 kit, iirc.  I took these at the Cameron Airport, over the course of two different sessions.  The wind was blowing way too hard during the first one and I watched the horizontal stab flutter up and down so much I was afraid I would lose it.  I hope you enjoy having a look at my "One-Oh-Wonder"!  Thanks for your interest!

portfromfrontgood.jpg

bestoverhead.jpg

sbfulllowanglegood.jpg

rearbetter.jpg

portrearlowanglegood.jpg

SBfrontclosergood.jpg

SBfrontbetter.jpg

fulloverheadturned2.jpg

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

It does look striking in that scheme, Gary.  You did a great job in getting some nice shades with the overall black and the 'burnt metal' appearance of the engine area is really well done.  Nice photographs too!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Neat! Looks like an AF version of 'Vandy One!' Great What If? model and very convincing! 👍

Mike

Thanks Mike!   I like what-if builds and have a couple more "on deck".  I've found that they sort of free the imagination in ways that conventional builds don't.  Being a history nerd (and former history teacher), it's fun to "tweak" history as we know it and venture into the what might have happened.  Thanks for your comments Mike!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Joyce said:

It does look striking in that scheme, Gary.  You did a great job in getting some nice shades with the overall black and the 'burnt metal' appearance of the engine area is really well done.  Nice photographs too!

Cheers,

Mark

I appreciate that so much Mark!  Black is hard to paint convincingly in any scale and this one was an experiment in ways to highlight and emphasize panels and lines on a raised-panel line model.  Thanks for taking time to comment! 

3 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

A great model, a super what-if and some fabulous photography! :goodjob:

Thank you mate!  I'm so glad you liked her. 🙂

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work ! Have you posted that scheme somewhere else ? I did some serious VooDoo research a couple of years ago. Im pretty sure I've come across these photos before ? Or maybe someone else did a similar build ? 

Oh, yes.  Those pics have been posted elsewhere, probably on at least two scale modeling forums I've joined in the past.  The build is close to 15-20 years old, maybe more? 😉

• Thanks 1

That is epic! Love the Voodoo and the flat all black really plays into that, kind of a black cat thing I guess. Really amazing job and a great build. 

P.S. wannabe history teacher myself so even cooler!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Superb build. One of the best and most realistic black finishes I've seen.

Thanks!  That's one of the best compliments one could give!  Many thanks for that!

3 hours ago, whiskey said:

That is epic! Love the Voodoo and the flat all black really plays into that, kind of a black cat thing I guess. Really amazing job and a great build. 

P.S. wannabe history teacher myself so even cooler!

I so appreciate your comments whiskey.  You're too kind sir!   And hey, I was a wannabe teacher too for a long time.  I didn't start teaching until I was 45 years old.  It's never too late for you! 😀

35 minutes ago, Scooby said:

We had an all black Voodoo in Canada, it was quite impressive.

Yes, that's the only all-black 101 I'm aware of.  I've seen a few pics of it and it was spectacular! 

16 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

I don't think any recon Voodoos were painted this way, but it makes a striking appearance for these fast jets

They should've been, really striking scheme idea and nicely done! I'm a big fan of old '48 Monogram and love seeing them still being built.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

They should've been, really striking scheme idea and nicely done! I'm a big fan of old '48 Monogram and love seeing them still being built.

Thanks Paul, much appreciated!  Yeah, I have two display cabinets filled with models and the majority of those are Monogram.  The Monogram kits usually give a lot of bang for the buck; and with a bit of TLC, they can produce nice finished results.  I'll be posting a few more whenever my Photobucket account gets fixed. 😉

6 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, I know that Voodoo - excellent build, Gary! 👍 The painting scheme is unusual and very attractive.

Many thanks Nicolay!  Very kind of you to say that, thank you sir.🙂

56 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Outstanding depiction.  Great results.  Excellent photography.  What`s not to like????  It`s beautiful!!!!

Thanks for those kind words Sky!  You know the great thing about digital photography, take 80 pics and look for a few good ones.   Sometimes the combination of light, angle, framing, distance, background and perspective, will produce a real good pic.   The first time I photographed a model at the airport with my set-up, I was shocked at how much better it made the model look.   I'm fortunate that I can use local airports for my needs. 😎 Thanks again!  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

Fantastic.  Love the outdoor shots.  Great work.  The Air Force should have put you in charge of paint schemes.  

Lol, what a great job that would be right, right?  Dream on. 😎  Thanks for the compliments Ad-4N.  I appreciate the support!