Spot of the Day Part 3

32 minutes ago, rs2man said:

Just seen a really nice Jag XK150 fixed head coupe going through Nantwich , finished in a rather unusual RAF blue grey shade .  

Sounds lovely.

20 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Sounds lovely.

It was . I've always thought the XK150 was the most stylish of the XK fixed-heads . They were surprisingly rapid too - the XK150S 3.8 was apparently good for 137 mph . 

• Like 1

Not today but on Sunday,supporting my local racetrack Brands Hatch for the Masters Historic meeting. I've only got one Racing picture here as my grandson wanted to be in all the other pics! Quite a few older cars for everyone you should recognise most or all of them. I think! Oh,the race picture is the pre 1966 mini race. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngChris

• Like 9

Not only one Bug, but two. You mean there are really still two Bugs alive! Love the Ginetta G15, nice looking car. A classic car meet near here a while back (September '18) had one, same colour, maybe even same car. It is! Just found the photo of the one that was here and the plate matches!

A 1950s Chevrolet pick-up, it looked a bit like a 1956 Chevrolet Bell Air (although not car derived) so I'd guess a similar age.  Looked absolutely stock, dark green paint, plenty of chrome and what sounded like a straight six under the bonnet (hood).

Also a Honda S2000 in dark silver, also looking stock.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2020 at 19:52, Kitkent said:

I missed one out,I'm sure it's a Ford F100 pickup.Yes,there are two lovely Bond Bugs or lumps of cheese as they used to be known. I love the little Ginetta myself too. Chris.

Yes, a 1962 F100.  I can't wait for this "patina" fad to be over...

Just now, Six97s said:

Yes, a 1962 F100.  I can't wait for this "patina" fad to be over...

I understand where you're coming from, it was particularly sad to see that sort of patina on a 1950s Cadillac a few weeks ago, at least a working vehicle like a pick-up has a reason to look faded and well-used.  Still, they aren't mine and the owners can do with their property as they see fit.

I've not been out and about much this weekend but I was treated to the spectacle of a massive convoy of motorcycles yesterday lunchtime; at least two-dozen mostly Harleys and the like, I did spot at least a couple of those strange three-cylinder Triumph Rocket things in the group.

Today there were a couple of MGBs, one rubber bumper GT that was probably one of the last made (pewter paint, V8 alloys) and a bright red roadster on minilite alloy wheels.  There were also some more bikes; I noticed a twin-cam Kawasaki that could have been old, or just a retro-looking modern one.

Just been overtaken by a 75 Jensen Interceptor on the M27 and an Aston Martin Rapide on A338.  The Jensen has way more impressive presence, it was always a highlight to see one when I was a kid and they were new😎.

.. and now the van in front has turned off I found we are following a lovely TR2/3/3A in old English white with aero screens...

• Like 4

On 8/26/2020 at 7:52 PM, Kitkent said:

I missed one out,I'm sure it's a Ford F100 pickup

Hmm, yes, but I'm more interested in the Alpine behind it; soft top with roll bar! Looks very nice. Used to have a Series 3 hardtop years and years ago! Yet another that, given the passage of time, I should have kept.😂

Edited by MR2Don

23 hours ago, Six97s said:

I can't wait for this "patina" fad to be over...

It's not always a fad, our Mini has plenty of 'patina' - we're fighting a losing battle trying to get rid of it....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Here's a little survivor. A very presentable example, shopping at the Co-op

IMG_20200830_190232

Can't remember the last time I saw one of those .  Brings back a lot of happy memories because my first car was a dark green Chevette 4-door , SMB242V .  A really nice little car in sad need of a decent engine & gearbox in place of the appalling old Viva engine - with the SOHC 1300 or 1600 from the mk 2 Cavalier it would have been superb .  As it was , I was told by competition engine builder Dave Brooks that I wasn't constitutionally suited to Chevette ownership as I expected more from it than it had any hope of giving .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The missus wanted to go out for the day yesterday so we wound up at the Ponderosa at the top of the Horseshoe Pass .  Since the sun was shining , the car park was awash with motorbikes , mostly modern but a few classics .  There was a 1981 Honda CB750F , a Kawasaki KH 400 & Honda CB500 Four , both from the mid 1970s , a 1960s Triumph Bonneville & a 1950s BSA single , which I suspect was some sort of Gold Star .  There were also a couple of more modern retro-styled bikes - a Kawasaki 750 Zephyr which was styled just like the original 900cc Z1 & , nicest of all in my eyes , a 2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 .  I'd not realised till I saw it & Googled it that the Indians have branched out from the Bullet singles & are now building SOHC 650cc twins in both Interceptor & Continental GT café racer form .  It was an absolutely gorgeous thing .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rs2man said:

appalling old Viva engine - with the SOHC 1300 or 1600 from the mk 2 Cavalier it would have been superb

Or even the 2300cc in the rally prepared cars. I can remember SMT 1 and SMT 1M; followed SMT 1 down a Scottish byroad one time as it was on a road section between stages. Particularly noted the reg as it was my wife's initials pre-marriage.

4 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Outskirts of Clacton today; 'R' reg Stag in British Racing Green, top down. Going the other way from us but, from the glance I got at it, looked in pretty good nick.

I too saw a Stag , dark blue , roof down on outskirts of York yesterday . 

On holiday at the moment and went to Sutton Ho where we parked next to a 1972 Morris Marina Deluxe in white. It looked like it was in the middle of being worked on as the paintwork was a bit uneven with signs of a wing replacement. The chrome work looked immaculate. I haven't seen one in ages and presumed that they had virtually all rotted away. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr T said:

presumed that they had virtually all rotted away. 

Or had pianos dropped on them in Top Gear....!! 🤣

There's a nice 2 door white coupe that lives just round the corner from us. It only comes out in the summer but haven't seen it this year, must be shielding....

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 4