Spot of the Day Part 3

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And unless they've changed the law since I worked in DVLA are illegal!

Keith

I think you are allowed black and silver on anything that counts as "historic" for zero VED; which is 40 years old, I think.  So it could qualify (I didn't see the actual registration clearly).

In Northern Ireland the vehicle has to be pre-1972 for black plates to be legal. That is the year we started using three letters & numbers. Prior we used two letters.

Afaik black plates in GB have to be pre-1967 when the changes came into use.

However - an Eire registered vehicle can use a black plate and due to the silliness of DVLNI moving to Swansea, an Eire registered car can be re- registered in UK and not need to change its vehicle registration numbers, thus it can keep using the Eire number on a black plate

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 19:34, johnlambert said:

I think you are allowed black and silver on anything that counts as "historic" for zero VED; which is 40 years old, I think.  So it could qualify (I didn't see the actual registration clearly).

Unless it's changed since my day in Vehicle Enquiries it has to be pre 1973. I've not heard they've changed it to a rolling year like the historic tax/mot, but could be wrong!

Keith

23 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Unless it's changed since my day in Vehicle Enquiries it has to be pre 1973. I've not heard they've changed it to a rolling year like the historic tax/mot, but could be wrong!

yup, it changed

Pre-1975 only

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/11/17/whats-the-story-with-black-and-silver-number-plates/

on registered 'classics' but not all vehicles are eligible

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

yup, it changed

Pre-1975 only

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/11/17/whats-the-story-with-black-and-silver-number-plates/

on registered 'classics' but not all vehicles are eligible

Reading that link, I'd say it is on a rolling basis, but rolling forward every 1st April. I guess the pre-1975 bit is that it looks as though the rolling basis only came in in 2015.

"Since April 2015 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1975 can display the older style plates. You must:

• have applied to DVLA, and
  • be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class.

This allows your vehicle to retain its authenticity and be in keeping with its age.

Vehicles constructed 40 or more years ago are exempt from vehicle tax.

The 40 year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April."

Or have I misunderstood it?

Driving up from Kent to Lincolnshire, I followed a really tidy black BMW 2000 saloon through the tunnel.  It a suffix H plate (late'69/early '70?) and it looked truly remarkable for a 50 year old car.  Once we were clear of the tunnel, it was being driven properly (i.e. at 70+) until it turned off at the A127 junction.

Trevor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klubman01 said:

... tidy black BMW 2000 saloon ... it was being driven properly (i.e. at 70+) 

Err, technically I presume you meant to write “illegally”?

Just sayin...😎

I wish I could be more specific about what I saw out of my living room window this afternoon; it was definitely some sort of Porsche 911 with ducktail spoiler, like the 1970s Carrera RS.  This one was grey, which I don't think was a classic RS colour, so I wonder if it was a more modern 911 RS tribute?  It sounded good, I could hear it for quite a while as it drove through my village.

• Like 2

Spotted this week in the lake district, not one but two Lamborghini Urus's
Massive things.

Classic Premier League Fodder...

Edited by Alan R

21 hours ago, Alan R said:

Spotted this week in the lake district, not one but two Lamborghini Urus's

I just saw a matt black one.  It looked pretty smart and had real presence.

2 in a day is impressive, the only other one I saw was a bright yellow one at Polzeath in 2019.

At least the Lamborghini designer seems to have made a decent job of the car, unlike those who work on the big Porsches!

• Like 2

Not sure if this counts, but the most interesting vehicular "spot" today was a BR Mk3 first class coach (or HST first class trailer) on the back of a low loader.  It was in Great Western green although I think the actual franchise logos had been removed.

• Like 1

It feels like cheating posting pictures from a car show, but it was the first Gaydon Gathering of the year last night at the British Motor Museum.  The light was fading so apologies for the quality of the pictures but it brought out a fine selection of cars.

y4mG2RIPmRB3keOV4cgu374g1kVoTewcFmxB46Nf

Giving you an idea of the variety.  And although it's a coupé rather than a saloon I got serious vibes of the 1:35 Airfix Triumph Herald.

y4mws8UzattA69Poc0g_kNEBq-8ZtMy7WARSxl3u

Big old Pontiac, I think the badge said "Silver Chief", inside there was a Jaguar-style automatic gearbox selector, so I assume this has had an engine swap.

y4mGnPMIvpIkuzfcXugQrgW-9Hq57yjvABjjBytA

This Jaguar E-type was absolutely spotless.  I'm not usually that keen on the open E-type but there is something about them when fitted with a hardtop.

y4mtJ16V2KPSnhXwntrR3gGKi8Yprejx9egdKavI

Jaguar interior, not sure what colour that is, a sort of pale grey/green.

y4mpFuE39i42nSEKUIE_hLnP6TlHemYODjFw61V3

Another thing I don't usually like is bright, solid red, but on the R107-series Mercedes-Benz SL I really do; even more when you have the colour-keyed wheel trims.

y4mgMNxpJ6hj-xgTKogyCtS1jn--p62a21SfnB9r

Lovely interior on the SL too!

y4mHqqJ9hhptboJHz1gvvVdNodYtrlPhH61oiwRi

OK so it's "only" a 280, but some reckon that the six-cylinder engine was better than the small, 3.5-litre V8, as it was lighter and not much less powerful.

y4mlQpu0jy9MhZ3PCF2PKGKRgrcCEHm_0PSF5L7U

Continuing the theme of, "I don't usually like these but..." I find the Jaguar Mk.V a bit of an odd thing, awkwardly placed between pre-and post-war design styles. But this had something about it; a little rough around the edges but with tons of presence.

y4mm7Kivk3t2qdyC--aPNh1nkhCqsAoRp5hRnvs_

This one was easier to love, a classic Porsche 911 Turbo; it might have been some sort of anniversary model as there was a gold or brass plaque on the centre console.

y4m8UYEdWGbGfYe033yXV2xRhzWD27IhB7DHEqR0

I'm rather partial to a Lancia Fulvia.

y4m5vHDchfIHLzHAY0DBuEf3-c1zANhapntml-ay

I'm afraid it's another classic Jaguar; an XK150S fixed-head coupé, possibly my favourite of the XK series.

y4mM8FFz_WAo46vccyDOzjIHuMvIW_mJaHa5LIhM

A few classic bikes, whose riders braved the cold.

y4mMLk-GN2b4r6jaeAHEgircONsRYVCB_4mqjut3

Here's a rare one, a Renault 17; it's the odd juxtaposition of quirky/ugly design combined with classic boy racer/muscle car design cues.

y4m27ryK2Ad6e_Hzgd17Flzw1Wui3x9pPJyobQKY

An impressively tidy interior, that hasn't self-destructed (or has been well restored) and was easy to enjoy thanks to the pillarless windows.

y4mFqdNvDKWTrCaEwuHHlJAKEX69_CHTaTgkf8z6

Another, older, mix of American design cues on an European car; a Mercedes-Benz 190 "Fintail".

y4miNZgIOnH8hRDq1mhZYL7XEsObOA874ANolYuW

A far cry from the more upmarket models, with its simple bumpers, headlamps and so-on.

y4mEM74e4INNb2416jCNJ2GyAmnVDm3sJRj_YY2W

A fitting "end" I think; the setting sun and evening sky against the museum.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, johnlambert said:

classic Porsche 911 Turbo; it might have been some sort of anniversary model as there was a gold or brass plaque on the centre console.

If it's genuine, I believe the slats in the front of the rear arch might make it a 930 S - of which there were only 33 made. So it would be worth a fair few quid.... (even more quids than the standard ones now fetch!)

Keith

Edit: Or it might be an almost as rare 930 LE of which only 50 were made as the end of the 930 Turbo model. 

• Like 2