Spot of the Day Part 3

3 hours ago, MR2Don said:

I think he was just "making some noise" in 2nd

It was also spitting and banging, so lots of overrun!

I know it's not very "sporting", but why bother on that road, all you do is waste petrol.

BTW, I'm not REALLY grumpy.😉

• Haha 3

South of Lincoln today on the A607, A Wartburg Estate! Not seen one for decades. I drove one once and still shudder at the memory!

In Lincoln I've seen an old Bond three wheeler. Not the Bond Bug, This one looks like it escaped from a bumper car ride at the fair.

• Like 4

While out skulking around my neighborhood - smoky, still air and hot today, so "walking" but not a very pleasant experience, I came across a few interesting rides:

4_bike_winch.JPG

No idea what this is all about - but it's pretty heavy duty - notice the winch on the sidehack?? + extra fuel and camo paint....

And this tired classic:

SM_landy.JPG

I wonder if it's parked here because of a dead engine, or just forgotten?

And finally, this sporty Subaru - note the high lift jack on the roof, BFG all terrain tires, skid plate, and tow took:

sm_Ru.JPG

Cheers

Nick

• Like 3

The motorcycle is a Ural combination, an up-dated version of the WW2 German BMW or Zundapp motorcycle combination. 

During WW2 the Germans set up a factory in the Ukraine to manufacture the outfits and post-WW2 the factory just kept making them.

Here in the UK you could at one time get a real looking copy for £2000, the side car even had the m/g mounting. Some people bought them and try to pass them off as the real deal but the give-away is the crylic script in the instruments

• Like 3

A Ural owner I met outside a local pub told me RH drive (UK) versions couldn't have the sidecar powered like the LH drive ones can.  But a LHD 2wd one was feasible in the UK but needed some extra lighting on the sidecar.  Whatever, they are a pretty serious piece of kit for effectively an 80+ year old design.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, malpaso said:

A Ural owner I met outside a local pub told me RH drive (UK) versions couldn't have the sidecar powered like the LH drive ones can.  But a LHD 2wd one was feasible in the UK but needed some extra lighting on the sidecar.  Whatever, they are a pretty serious piece of kit for effectively an 80+ year old design.

Thats because the power for the sidecar wheel comes off the hub centre on the motorcycle rear wheel through a small differential. The Ukraine factory eventually managed to get the pto onto the left side but these machines were built for off-road dirt track riding and not road legal use (yeah, right!)

• Like 1

That's a pretty interesting story - thanks for the info on this.  From what I could tell, this gets used, or could be used daily (which makes me wonder how he was able to register it through the California Department of Motor Vehicles - no fun at all) - I live in an urban area, no dirt tracks or trails for miles!  pre covid, the traffic was so bad, driving around was hardly a leisurely experience!  I commuted for 20+years into San Francisco, all of about 11 miles - no less than 50 minutes on a good day (so I took the bus! 20 minutes)  - and much worse on a bad one.  As this bike has the sidehack, no lane splitting for him!  He'd have to crawl through traffic like the rest of us!  Unfortunately, I didn't look carefully enough to see if this version has the 2 rear drive wheels. I'll take a look next time I'm up there.

32 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

. . .  I didn't look carefully enough to see if this version has the 2 rear drive wheels. I'll take a look next time I'm up there.

I can see that it has. You can see the live axle between the sidecar body and the mudguard, it looks like part of the frame

Looking at the photo again; if the lamp mounting on the sidecar is original, that is actually where the MG42 L bracket mounting was fitted. The MG34 mounting was a bar arrangement in front of the sidecar cockpit. afair

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, cmatthewbacon said:

Not sure what this was... any ideas? A Landrover Defender-like LWB 4x4, towing a boat to the dock in Amble. Looked only somewhat like a Defender, with hints of a G-Wagen, though. Very “origami” shape with sharp edges at all corners, proportions more like a hmmv: low and wide. Quite pronounced wheel arch extensions (again faceted) with a narrower main body. Upper body had an inward slope up to the roof. I wondered if it might be a demilitarised something or other made in Israel, South Africa or Russia...

best,

M.

Maybe a Santana PS10, a Spanish built version of the Land Rovers than Santana originally built under license, that lapsed when Landies went coil spring but Santana later brought out the PS10 in their own right, they were later picked up by Iveco to become the Iveco Massif.

In like vein, I spotted the first of the new Land Rover Defenders in town yesterday, I was impressed at what a bulky looking beast it was, quite liked the look of it though.

Steve.

I was doing my volunteer job as a museum guide, so this doesn't really count as spotting to me but these are the sort of cars I spent my day with.  It's not a bad life sometimes...

y4ml3Q1LORg_Qbo8ZetcVC7v4URVefSe9fuHTSS1

• Like 8

On 9/28/2020 at 10:21 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

Not sure what this was... any ideas? A Landrover Defender-like LWB 4x4, towing a boat to the dock in Amble. Looked only somewhat like a Defender, with hints of a G-Wagen, though. Very “origami” shape with sharp edges at all corners, proportions more like a hmmv: low and wide. Quite pronounced wheel arch extensions (again faceted) with a narrower main body. Upper body had an inward slope up to the roof. I wondered if it might be a demilitarised something or other made in Israel, South Africa or Russia...

best,

M.

I wonder if it might have been an ibex?

https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/4x4s/british-built-ibex-4x4-offers-land-rover-defender-alternative

• Like 1

Yesterday in the middle of Rothwell, Leeds, a black 1964 Ford Zodiac complete with fins and a lot of chrome work at the front. Suddenly I am ten again and Airfix have bought the car out as a kit, although I never bought it. It was in green plastic as I remember. 

• Like 3

Driving to work today I saw a 1980s Porsche 911 Carrera, in black with black and silver number plates (which I don't think look right on a 1980s car) and no 'whale tail' spoiler. 

• Like 1

Currently in Kent visiting/keeping an eye on my Dad.  As I went out shopping this morning there was a blue, chrome bumper MGB GT travelling in the opposite direction.  Looked nice and tidy.

• Like 3

Some more interesting spots this afternoon.

From the kitchen window this lunch time I heard something slightly "fruity" which turned out to be an Austin Healey Sprite (not a Frogeye) in Old English White with steel wheels and hub caps.

Then, on the way in to Sainsbury's there was a Nissan Sunny 100NX coupé (can't remember when I last saw one of those; and in Sainsbury's car park there was a smart, red, second generation Toyota MR2 that looked very tidy.

• Like 1