Spot of the Day Part 3

I wish I'd taken some pictures but there never seemed to be the right opportunity.

I was at the Oulton Park Gold Cup race meeting on Bank Holiday Monday; lots of fine, classic machinery on and off the track.

Off-track highlights included a light blue AC Cobra 289 (or, possibly a replica), a Mk! Morris Mini Cooper S in Almond green with a white roof (a colour scheme I'm going to recreate on a Tamiya Austin Mini Cooper S) and a coupe of nice Ford Mustangs (a 1964 and a half convertible, and a 1968 Fastback).

On track, my eye was caught by a red and white Austin Cooper S (almost a 24:1 replica of the last Tamiya Mini I built), I was also inspired by some racing Jaguar Mk.I and Mk.II saloons and a smart-looking XK150 (if only someone did one in 1:24).

• Like 2

Today, on a trip from Scarborough back to Warwickshire I spotted a nice, bright red Morgan Plus Four, a red MGB roadster and a 1930s Bentley, something like a 3 1/2 or 4 1/4 saloon.

• Like 1

Two nice vehicles today.  A red MGB roadster on the A17 Sleaford bypass around mid-morning, and then, around lunchtime, an old (pre 1963, judging by the plate) SWB Land Rover heading into Sleaford, passing the Police station.  Both looked quite tidy.

Trevor

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

This nice wee Hillman Minx was at the Park & Ride this morning;

Hillman%20Minx%2C%2001s-M.jpg

Looks like its not been restored but just looked after

Wow, that looks nice.  Not seen one of them for longer than I can remember.

Trevor

On a street in Beccles this morning came across a parked 1928 Green open top Austin Seven. It was in pretty fair condition with an interesting adaption to make the headlights by substituting LEDs for the originals. Home tomorrow, so hopefully some good spots on the drive back to sunny? Yorkshire. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

@Sabrejet are you at the London Concours d'Elegance? I'm guessing the middle one is a Ferrari 250 GTO.  No clue about the first one and the last one is an Aston Martin of some sort but not one I recognise.

I was, and yes, the middle one is a GTO. I'll leave the other two and see if anyone gets them.

• Like 1

Saw a nice, tidy looking, red and white Clubman1275GT in Sleaford today.  We got a wave, as myself and "senior management" were in her purple Mini (a proper one, not one of the misnamed BMW's).

• Like 3

No - it's actually the new Lotus Evija:

a2

And for those who don't know the Aston Martin Victor (I didn't), here it is. It's supposedly named after ex-owner of A-M, Victor Gauntlett, and not the Victor bomber. OK if you say so. But since they've done Vulcan already, I expect Valiant will soon be on the drawing board, and we can get over it. Anyway it's a one-off, and being left-hand drive, it looks like it won't be long on these shores. It has elements of DB9, Vulcan and One 77 in its styling, and incorporates the Vulcan engine, uprated to more than 800bhp. Which is an impressive number without turbos. OK the Ferrari 812 has similar numbers but they're common as muck! ;)

a1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Presumably they both have a button to raise the body when a speed hump hoves into view. Or a ramp, or road debris,etc etc.

I can't recall which, but I did hear one of the company representatives saying it. Note that the Victor also has quite noticeable Jabroc skid plates on each corner.

• Like 1

Lovely old Healey 100/4 when I was out for my run today.  Then we went to pick up something off gum tree and the young seller had a nice 71 MGBGT which he was sorting as his daily driver!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

And for those who don't know the Aston Martin Victor (I didn't), here it is. It's supposedly named after ex-owner of A-M, Victor Gauntlett, and not the Victor bomber. OK if you say so. But since they've done Vulcan already, I expect Valiant will soon be on the drawing board, and we can get over it. Anyway it's a one-off, and being left-hand drive, it looks like it won't be long on these shores. It has elements of DB9, Vulcan and One 77 in its styling, and incorporates the Vulcan engine, uprated to more than 800bhp. Which is an impressive number without turbos. OK the Ferrari 812 has similar numbers but they're common as muck! ;)

a1

I know Aston Martin has wanted to make a Victor for decades to honour Victor Gauntlet, who saved the company, I'm sure it was one of the options for the car that became the Virage.  I quite like the nods to the old Aston Martin V8 in the styling of the Victor.

But having a Vulcan, Victor and Valiant in the Aston Martin line-up doesn't sound bad either.

• Like 1

There haven't been many car shows this year, for obvious reasons, but the annual Mini and Metro show was combined with the BMC and Leyland day at the British Motor Museum.

y4m5aNP3ZmXUGl5mHYxX6fbiwizJCDNDkakvJ2wY

Although BMC/BL themed there was a small contingent of Ford Zephyr and Zodiacs, I was most taken by this gold Ford Zodiac Automatic.

y4mb2bUQBXR4_cgjH5Ux5lAu81_H-kJ7K99D8N7O

I'm not sure about the wire wheels but this Triumph Vitesse was nice.

y4mXI1rqGDbKxH25Na5yuN15W8mSlp40A4i-Jcm7

Almost every variant of the BMC ADO16 range was represented (no 1300GT that I saw); here's a small selection.

y4mPwXB-31zjuHC_ewmtSVO4hs53RCBH7gefZP9r

I also counted a few Austin Cambridges and Morris Oxfords plus the smart black MG Magnette.

y4mulJjArn9HJG6ezr4kYNROqlLVUHlDXxlzTRlD

Here's a better look at the MG, the Wolseley 16-60 behind it was nice too.

y4mCVwlSwJTo39To3pDivfV7jFZvv94CwEQMuVqy

This was my transport for the day.  I have a friend who can no longer drive because of deteriorating eyesight but he lets me drive his Triumph Spitfire, which (unlike some old cars) is every bit as good to drive as it is to look at.

• Like 10