Spot of the Day Part 3

Lots more spots this afternoon; two chrome bumper MGB roadsters, one in a nice pale blue, the other in a more familiar red; a lowered, red VW Karmann Ghia and the only one I could photograph was this rather tatty Citroen 2CV.

y4mutEJ-34pzR6qFZ_31c0gB0F719nmnUNV5ih7g

• Like 1

Whilst I was out in the RS2 this afternoon I came across a very smart 1964 Morris 1100 in Smoke Grey , a slightly odd colour which looks blue if you put it next to something grey and grey if you put it next to something blue . I only know this because my dad had a Smoke Grey 1100 mk 2 as a company car . 

• Like 3

Oh I nearly forgot the other great spot of the day, a mid-engined Renault 5 Turbo in beige.  I've seen a red one around here a couple of times but this was new to me.  

• Like 1

On the way to Morrison's in Nantwich tonight I saw a Karmann Ghia coupe . I'm no fan of them at the best of times , but this one was a ghastly shade of orange , which did it no favours at all .

2 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Whats' wrong with that! Did it have straw and chicken feathers inside? not a proper 2CV unless it has!😉

I didn't get that close, it appeared to be held together with silver adhesive tape and I was worried that it might fall apart if accidentally touched ;) still I do like a good, scruffy 2CV.

Out on a Sunday pootle I saw a Skoda Estelle cabrio, MGRV8 and a WW2 Jeep. Just as I was getting home I followed a pre-31 Bentley (I assume 3liter) - smelly and noisy, both in a good way!  Even rarer, earlier I saw a real endangered species in reasonable condition:

Fiat X1/9

• Like 3

This might be considered on the boring side, but a Honda CR-X Del Sol, 1993 (K) vintage. Red going on pink (you know what I mean!) and lives next door to my son's new house. A pretty similar reg to my MR2. Young guy owns it, it doesn't move much but it is MoTd. I think they're quite "pretty" little cars, but don't know a lot about their reliability, etc. I've spoken to the owner once, mentioned I had a MR2 Mk2 and he seemed impressed!

• Like 2

@MR2Don I'm pretty sure that the CR-X of that era is pretty dependable.  Can't remember the last time I saw one, I guess they've probably all rusted out but the engines are likely to be perfect.

Mid-afternoon today, parked near the market square in Sleaford was a very nice red Dolly Sprint.  Don't recall seeing one in that colour before.

Trevor

• Like 4

Spots out and about over the weekend......

Lancia Flavia 2000 coupe circa early '70's model, in silver.

Porsche 911, 1970-71 model in white.

Fiat X1/9 in orange. Couldn't get the year as I only caught the roofline above a wall.

Jaguar E-Type convertible in red.

Reliant Rialto(!)- very tatty condition in white, late 80's early '90's.

Dodge Viper in blue with white stripe trim.

Reliant Scimitar GTE, 1973-74 model in yellow.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Veltro said:

Fiat X1/9 in orange. Couldn't get the year as I only caught the roofline above a wall.

Probably the same one I saw in Salisbury at Sunday lunchtime.  It's unlikely there would be two surviving in adjacent counties and that they'd be the same colour!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Probably the same one I saw in Salisbury at Sunday lunchtime.  It's unlikely there would be two surviving in adjacent counties and that they'd be the same colour!

That's very likely. In fact, I'd be 99.99% certain given that we were both in the same area locale on the same day. I saw an X1/9 in Salisbury a few months back, but I cannot remember for the life of me the colour (age creeping on!). It was probably the same one. I don't see it that often though, so I would say he's either (sort of) local to Salisbury or he only drives it at weekends. Nice to see one still on the road. Dating from a time whenever you were out you'd usually spot something unusual, rather than the boring boxes we see on the roads nowadays.

• Like 1

After finally being 'properly' let out of 'shielding' been out two days running - first time in over 6 months! Anyway, not a particularly exciting spot but another of those common as muck every day cars no longer seen, an X reg, dark green, Citroen Xantia estate (although I guess estates were never that common) in fairly tidy looking condition, but a bit dirty so looked like a daily driver.

K

• Like 1

I'd not seen anything interesting for a few days then got three in one visit to the supermarket; a silver Lotus Esprit Series 3; a Ford Puma that hadn't rusted away also in silver; and a red Citroen 2CV.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MR2Don said:

1966 reg red Volvo Amazon estate, slightly tired looking. Didn't have the cheek to try to see its speedo, see how many million miles it had done!

That's unusual to see one in that colour as unlike the saloons, the estates were not available in red to the general public.  However the odometers on Amazons only read to 99999 and most if not all have been around at least once.  I have seen the odometer on my one roll around to 00000 twice in the time I have known it (was previously my father's, and it had been around the clock at least once before he bought it in 1994) and I would love to know for certain what the true mileage is, but it is definately not less than 300K, with 150K of that in my family's ownership.  It was my everyday car for 14 years and the youngest car I had owned up until four years ago when I took it off the road for a sabbatical whilst I stockpile the all parts to restore everything up properly.  The big question is will I complete my Airtrax Amazon estate resin kit first...

Edited by Paul H
spelling / typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1