Spot of the Day Part 3

On 7/22/2020 at 9:24 AM, klubman01 said:

I saw a very nice red early notchback Mustang.

There is one based somewhere around Lincoln, Could be that one.

Today, just South of Lincoln, one I've seen locally before, an A team van.

And, here's a weird one, parked up in Grantham, a Piaggio Ape pick up. (link to stock picture below).

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/F6C4X3/piaggio-ape-500-moped-van-pick-up-truck-trucks-pickup-three-wheel-F6C4X3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

There is/was one with a van body as a coffee shop on the platform at Carlisle station.

Used to see them a lot around Sorrento, where the local farmers used them for all sorts. On a Sunday, you would see the farmer and his wife (stereotypical Italian grandmother in black) squeezed in the cab, out for the day, or off to church.

• Like 2

Well late this afternoon I saw the ideal chase car on Lincoln high street.

A '90's Ford Crown Victoria in full American Police livery. It had everything except the light bar!

Or, maybe it was after the A team van I saw the other day?

• Like 3

Saw that Karmann Ghia again yesterday. Better look this time, does look very nice. Just coming out of that cul-de-sac with young gent driving, partner in the passenger seat and daughter in the back. Off for a nice warm jolly, no doubt. Must go round there and see if I can get a photo.

• Like 4

Plenty of people out enjoying their cars in the fine weather, I didn't have to leave home for the first three as I saw them from my living room window as they drove past.

First was an American pick-up truck, probably an early 1950s Ford, lowered and painted glossy black.  The second was a brace of TVR S cars, the first one sounded like it might have been the rare V8S.

Then, when I was out and about there was a green Triumph 2000 or 2500 saloon, a 1940s American convertible, possibly a Ford or Mercury (it looked a bit like Biff's car from Back to the Future) and a green Triumph GT6 Mk.3.

• Like 2

Sorry, Folks, but with respect to the Karmann Ghia, I've been round there and was a) surprised by how many houses! and b) they've all got garages, so no sign of it. Just have to keep an eye open for it being out and about again.🤞

• Like 1

I saw a restored '67 (E-reg) Karmann Ghia last weekend, turquoise and possibly with Fuchs wheels, but I was driving so couldn't take it all in.   This week, a TVR 3000M and what looked like a '67 - '68 Dodge Polara or Monaco.  The Dodge was parked on a drive, so I'll try to get a better look next time I'm in the area.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Cool yes, but also illegal, parked over a double yellow and on the pavement!

It seems sometimes in Kidderminster that double yellows are believed to indicate where you can park.

And a lot of people here think that pavements are additional parking

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

And a lot of people here think that pavements are additional parking

I think that's endemic across the country....!!

2 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Cool yes, but also illegal, parked over a double yellow and on the pavement!

Hardly matters when you're using a Minnesota plate.....!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 1

A brace of nice ones spotted in Salisbury over the last few days:

Lancia Flavia Zagato in silver. Not the prettiest of the Zagato-bodied Lancia's IMHO. I prefer the Fulvia Zagato.

Ferrari 308GTB in red (what else?)

A very tidy Morris Oxford ('Farina'-body) in two tone finish. 

Jaguar E-Type series 2 coupe in red....

....and an AC Cobra in metallic burgundy/red that overtook me on the Blandford bypass yesterday.

• Like 4

Lincoln today, a Toyota Soarer in dark blue. Probably the prettiest car that Toyota ever made. 

Here's a link to one I found on the web. I think it looks like something Ian Callum designed on a really good day.

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/imagegen/cp/black/480/360/s3/digital-cougar-assets/tradeuniquecars/gallery2005/toyota-soarer-rear.jpg

And on Tuesday I saw a Sunbeam Rapier fastback from around 1970 ish. parked up by a dyke near Boston on the way to Conningsby. It was New York taxi yellow!

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/--egUbt1of9Y/UoPORk8UmHI/AAAAAAAAoFs/kDqr0QIR278/s1600/Screen+Shot+2013-11-11+at+10.06.20+PM.png

• Like 4

I nearly bought one of those Rapiers, got a Hunter GT instead in that colour.

Saw one of these today on a transporter leaving the docks.  Chevy Styleline I believe,

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=1950s+Chevrolet+styleline&t=ffab&atb=v144-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fdealeraccelerate-all.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fcmc%2Fimages%2F2%2F9%2F2%2F292%2F19071_58cf7150cc461.jpg

• Like 3

I have fond memories of the Toyota Soarer; back around 2012-2015 the manager I was working for at the time had two Soarers one after the other and I got to drive them both.  The first was completely standard and invited all the typical cliches about not feeling as big or as heavy as you'd think while also being impressively quiet and comfortable; the one thing I didn't like was the steering, which had slightly odd weighting.  The second one was fitted with slightly larger wheels and low profile, Michelin high-performance tyres (odd how that detail sticks in the memory), it was also a slightly later model and I found the steering much more to my taste; not heavier but far more consistent in its weight and response.  I also got to explore the settings for the suspension and gearbox (sport mode on the suspension was worth selecting, sport mode on the transmission was less so).  I can't remember the last time I saw a Soarer but I thought they'd all died out as they fell into the hands of drifters and Fast and Furious wannabes. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2020 at 8:18 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Well late this afternoon I saw the ideal chase car on Lincoln high street.

A '90's Ford Crown Victoria in full American Police livery. It had everything except the light bar!

Or, maybe it was after the A team van I saw the other day?

One day in 2008 I was returning to base from work in Stamford, Connecticut when a police car went by.  Nothing unusual about that except that it had UCONN titles.  So a vehicle from the University of Connecticut's police department apparently.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

I went for a bit of a walk at lunch time and spotted a MG RV8

y4mpxQszpT8JS_0rxv043gS6V43x1wM8yCMblAUi

I thought that would be the most interesting "spot" of the day but I happened to look out of my window just as a bright red Ferrari F40 drove past, I could hear it pop and bang as it approached the tight corner into the small one-way system in my village.  A few years ago a similar bright red F40 pulled up next to me at the local petrol station, I wonder if it's the same car and the owner is local?

• Like 2