Spot of the Day Part 3

It's been a busy week and I've seen a few classics, despite the rain. Rover P5 & P6. Triumph Stag, TVR Griffith, and, something I've not seen in years, a Lada Niva!

Today, in Louth, a tidy G reg Golf for sale in a garage. the windscreen sticker price, over twelve grand!

• Like 2

Yesterday morning, a couple of villages down from Chez Bonhoff - A B-Reg Mk2 Golf GTI 3dr.

Looked original, in good nick and, most importantly, not modified...

IanJ

• Like 2

I saw a Niva on the A1 southbound south of Newcastle earlier this year, first one I have seen for ages, must be quite rare now I would have thought

• Like 2

I think post Berlin Wall and all that went on, they got pricier and in general I seem to recall cars became 'better value' (which is all relative given the depreciation of cars out of the showroom). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

I think post Berlin Wall and all that went on, they got pricier and in general I seem to recall cars became 'better value' (which is all relative given the depreciation of cars out of the showroom). 

On the depreciation out of the showroom, a lot of people forget that owing to the VAT rules way on the way cars are sold in the UK, the VAT on the sale price of a brand new car drops off the sale price immediately the vehicle is sold.

So a £25,000 car immediately loses £5,000 VAT.

Once sold on first registration, because no buyer of a car can claim back VAT unless the car is for motability (I think) or purely and solely for a business use, it becomes second hand. 

Once it is second hand, when offered for sale by  the owner no VAT can be charged, but for cars bought by a dealer, VAT is charged on the margin between purchase and later sale, ie the profit. (though some garages may chose to add VAT to the selling price of a secondhand car - a big disadvantage of course, which is why very few do)

Edited by Whofan
Clarification
  • Like 3

With regards to Lada's, the absence of them in the UK now mostly boils down to the two things, UK emission rules and economic troubles suffered in Russia post cold-war.

New UK emission regulations required catalysers and Lada had difficulty getting their products to pass without major engineering efforts (Fuel injection was tried but it was realised that injection wouldn't be appreciated by the average Russian owner who would still maintain their own transport ) - As the main market took precedence, the brand fizzled out over here.

On top of that, shortages of spares in Russia (Major supply issues at the factories) led to ships coming over here and the crews buying up any second hand Lada's and carting them back and breaking them for spares.

It's rumoured that there is a string of Lada bodyshells on the sea bed between Hull and Murmansk...

IanJ

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I was watching the snooker on telly yesterday and the commentator mentioned that Steve Davis' prize for the first televised 147 break was a Lada....!! :rofl:

Keith

The price of fame,i remember an episode of Lovejoy with a Russian ship captain that wanted a Lada to take back home...

When I was growing up a neighbour had a Lada and he absolutely cherished it . I also remember Russian timber  ships leaving  Goole docks with return loads of ..... old British Ladas chained to their decks ! 

Gary. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

The local car enthusiast has been moving his motoes around  to get a new one in.

20191118_132921[1]

I believe it's a Mitsuoka Viewt. 

one of his many really nice Type 1s is in the background.

Yes I  would agree . Sadly , the Viewt is just a 1300 Nissan Micra with a modified body 

Wasn't me. I was one of out 7 1/2 tonners with two other blokes in it. I was in Birmingham, Atherstone and Hinckley. In a plain white hire van. Honest, Guv!

Good spot though. We did have a van at Shouldham, but that was as far East as he went.

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

The local car enthusiast has been moving his motoes around  to get a new one in.

20191118_132921[1]

I believe it's a Mitsuoka Viewt. 

one of his many really nice Type 1s is in the background.

There's a coincidence,i saw one at Vazon last week for sale and wondered what the hell it was (i'll go and have a look to see if it's still there)...

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Aaaaarrrgh, my eyes!! It's true, what's  been seen cannot be unseen.....

Those things are truly hideous!!

Hahaha! From Wikipedia: 

"The Mitsuoka Viewt is a modification of the Nissan March/Micra sold by the Japanese automaker Mitsuoka, intended to resemble the 1963 Jaguar Mark 2"

Uhm, yes, well they almost got it didn't they

• Haha 3

Today's blast from the past was unexpected. North Lincoln, a Blue T reg Volvo 66.

For those unfamiliar with the thing, it's a badge engineered DAF variomatic. I seem to remember that by this stage Volvo had bought out DAF.

This one had come out of a house driveway and was still warming up. The petrol fumes were seeping into our truck cab as we waited for the lights to change!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of interesting spottings recently,

A slightly tatty series 3 Daimler Double-Six in Chippenham,

and yesterday, a mint series 3 (I think) Austin Cooper (a Mini).

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 3

Must have been a night road rally on in South Wales on Saturday. On the M4 on our way to Hampshire on Sunday morning passed a couple of competitors on their way home. A nice, fully prepared Pug 205 who'd been running number 8 and who'd obviously been trying a bit as the car was caked in mud (judging from the roof I think it was a yellow car!) and a little further on number 74, a very nice white with blue stripes MK1 RS2000 who's driver had obviously treated the car more gently as it was cleaner than the wife's Focus I was driving!! 

Keith

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Post 373 above tells of my recent trip home from Canberra and the trio of Porsche 356s I encountered along the way.

I drove into town yesterday morning, and what should be lined up in a driveway on the road in, waiting to come out into the traffic, but one of the trio - the road registered coupe. Small world, isn't it ...

• Like 3