Spot of the Day Part 3

On Tuesday, coming back up the A1 saw a WWII era Studebaker 6X6 lorry in US colours. 

Yesterday on the M1 North of Nottingham a late fifties VW Karman Ghia and on the back of a truck a 66 plated Morgan in red

• Like 2

We don't get much exciting around my neck of the woods but today on the side of the road for sale I spotted this, something that would have had my heart racing 20+ years ago when I was a fully paid up Land Rover nut, now, well I thought it looked nice, not sure if its a genuine Camel Trophy Disco or a replica, it did look quite convincing, externally at least & was very tidy, down to tan up holstery & zip out carry bag at the back of the centre consol. No roll cage or trip meters so I'm guessing a replica.

Camel Discovery

Camel Discovery 1

Camel Discovery 2

Steve.

• Like 3

LOADS of old stuff on my way to work just now, but then my commute does take me just north of Chichester, and the Revival started this morning...  There was the usual swarm of MGs, Jaguars etc, but highlights included a very patinated early Porsche 356 coupe, and my favourite being a Riley MPH (possibly a recreation given that there are more 'MPHs' built up with the correct parts from Riley saloons of the same era than there are genuine ones).

• Like 2

Agreed - fan position & what is visible of the front suspension looks very 2CV.

On the way home from work, the highlight of the Revival traffic was a Jensen FF Mk1.  However seeing all the classic cars out on the road only serves to make me feel guilty about the two I have which are not on the road, one since 2005, the other since 2016...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paul H said:

However seeing all the classic cars out on the road only serves to make me feel guilty about the two I have which are not on the road, one since 2005, the other since 2016...

At least we've only got one, and its only been a garage queen since 2017....!!

After the psuedo Kubel picture above, Early on Saturday morning on the Newark bypass I saw a VW type 181 for the first times in years.

https://www.justkampers.com/media/vehicle-models/thumbnails/Type181_1.jpg

Dating from the early seventies, these were sold in the USA as the VW Thing!

• Like 1

Saw an Aston Martin DB3S in Nantwich this afternoon . I ran the registration through the DVLA website and it was registered as an Aston Martin but first registered in 1970 , so presumably a replica , though a very good-looking one .

• Like 2

FB_IMG_1568560257761

FB_IMG_1568560267678

FB_IMG_1568560277802

FB_IMG_1568560286896

I lost these in the depths of Flickr somewhere, but fbook just reposted as a remember, so I grabbed them for your delectation! 

Not vintage buffs....... Just a nice old couple who haven't changed their car for 30+years!! 

They were wondering why I was taking pictures 

😎

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, rs2man said:

Saw an Aston Martin DB3S in Nantwich this afternoon . I ran the registration through the DVLA website and it was registered as an Aston Martin but first registered in 1970 , so presumably a replica , though a very good-looking one .

Or possibly a DVLA local office registration error - they aren't unknown!!

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

Or possibly a DVLA local office registration error - they aren't unknown!!

Very true .  It all looked a bit odd because the engine capacity was listed as 3500cc & I'm not aware of any Aston with a engine of that capacity .  The original WO Bentley designed engine as fitted to the DB3S & DBR1 wouldn't go beyond 3 litres & the later Tadek Marek engine started at 3.7 litres in the DB4 .  I wish I could remember the registration number so I could do some more investigation , but it's gone clean out of my head - it's my age you know 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A few on the way to, and around, Hampshire on the weekend. Lovely little (and I'm always amazed these days just how little they are!) British Racing Green GT6, not so lovely hideous rubber bumper, SUV ride height MGB roadster in the same colour, stunning little bright yellow with black stripes original 911 and overnight in the hotel car park a lovely dark blue E-Type hardtop! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I do - there are times these days when I can't remember my own reg number!!

I legit walked out of the shopping centre this afternoon and could not for the life of me recall where I'd parked the car. Had to walk around for 5 minutes (and it's not that big a car park!) before I found it. Old age, innit.

• Haha 3