Spot of the Day Part 3

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:03 PM, keefr22 said:

Was it the International Mini Meet that was on in Bristol?

Hi Keith,

Yes it was. A colleague of mine, who is a Mini fanatic, was there on the day.

There were thousands of minis from all over the world in attendance. Even one from New Zealand apparently.

North Bristol was swarming with them!

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rs2man said:

Yesterday afternoon in Llangollen I saw an immaculate early 1970s Honda CB750 Four

That was the bike I always dreamed of having when I was a lad. Eventually got myself a VF-750F in the early eighties. Loved that bike!

Cheers, Alan.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:49 AM, Alan R said:

Even one from New Zealand apparently.

Was it a Pork Pie one?  Can’t find an image of the one in the film but there seems a healthy replica in NZ.  Their equivalent of “The Italian Job”.  Seems like even the hateful Binnies have muscled in on the act again.

There was one mounted over the entrance outside the Cinema in London when the film came out here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, malpaso said:

Seems like even the hateful Binnies

Hateful? Surely a bit strong?

I think the new (BMW) Mini is a great evocation of the original.

Cheers, Alan.

Oversized , overstyled, overweight, overpowered and overrated.  Appalling view out and Fisher-Price interior.  I’ve driven a few Binnies and always glad it was someone else’s!

I also get the feeling the designers there are now hamstrung by trying to make a behemoth into mini-style.

i quite liked the very earliest idea (as at Monte 94) and the first Binnies, but they’ve lost their way as an evocation of the classic car on my view, though obviously a much more successful business model and quality than the real thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, malpaso said:

2 unusual spots today:

White Lotus Eclat

Gold Granada Mk.2.  Only a 2 litre one though...

I spotted one of those chunky big Granada's too, yesterday

35 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I think that trim and running gear aside, it's basically the same car as the Chevy Station Wagon I saw a week or so ago.

I'd have one (Pending a Lottery win).

I thought it was a Nomad at first. Apparently they shared body parts. I had to catch it up to read the name.

• Like 1

Between Leitholm and Kelso yesterday, a open top Triumph TR7 and a late 50's/early 60's Austin Healey, both in British Racing Green. Not seen a TR7 for a while. 

Last time up here and always used to spot something so😞

• Like 3

Detouring to KFC on the way home, and coming around the roundabout (just out of dashcam angle :( ) was an R-reg Mk1 Granada Coupe, lovely condition in light metallic blue. A long time since I've seen one of those outside of a car show. Just when I was thinking I hadn't seen many classics around recently despite the good weather...

• Like 3