1/72 Academy SPAD XIII

My daughter got me this wonderful kit for Christmas.

It has re-kindled my interest in WWI aircraft.

DSC4684-1.jpg

DSC4689-1.jpg

DSC4685-1.jpg

DSC4688-1.jpg

The kit's painting guide is very basic so I bought this Eduard Kit  in the hope I will get a painting guide and some nice decals. 

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well that did not take long - the painting looks very good. Best of luck with the transfers - hope they go well despite being thick. Take a little care with the rigging and you will have a fine model, and hopefully more WW1 types to follow.

P

• Like 1

Got the decals on, they are very thick and will do what they want.

The model is ready for a gloss coat, the weather is a bit sad for painting.

MG-4480-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 5

Tested to the max.   Spent the day rigging, I used Ezy line for the first time, enough to send your hair white  Normally I use single strands of wire from ribbon cable glued with PVA.

I have CA everywhere and am not excited.  I would like to hear how you people rig biplanes.

Anyhow here she is, just need to do the prop.

MG-4485-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 2

Nice job. I use monofilament fishing line .06mm for rigging. Not sure how you used ez line without drilling, that may explain the CA everywhere. I drill the rigging holes, halfway through one wing and all the way through the other. Secure one end in the blind hole and when dry thread the line through the other, tension, and secure with CA. That would mean leaving the upper (or lower) wing decals off as they would be right where the lines exit. Once the rigging is done, a quick tidy up, then apply the decals.

Ian

• Like 2

I use almost the same procedure as Ian above, except I use Invisible Thread (a sewing product).  I paint the wings, leave off decals, then drill the rigging holes all the way through.  When rigging, I CA  one end, let dry, then stretch the mono through the other wing's holes, and put a tension on the line with an alligator clip, split shot or whatever works.  Then hit the hole where then line exits with another tiny drop of CA.  All the ending holes would be either atop the upper wing or underneath the lower wing.  When dry, the thread ends are nipped flush, the CA sanded smooth and the paint touched up, decals added,  and then top coat applied:

spacer.png

Ed

• Like 2

I saw a youtube vid using ezyline and CA.  I am not doing it again, the frustration levels were extreme. 

Thankyou for your input limeypilot and TheRealMrEd.

Very nice Douglas World Cruiser?

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ

Finished this little kit.  The only thing I didn't like was the decals, they are very thick and have a mind of their own.  I used lots of microsol and microset and they still did not settle to the model.

RFI here.

MG-4494-1.jpg

Stephen

• Like 5