1/72 Academy MiG-23S Flogger B

So I really wanted a Flogger in my collection. The Academy kit was pretty much all I could get my hands on but, knowing the issues with fit and low level of detail, I was hesitant. Ended up biting the bullet after all and steeled myself to expect very little from the build.

As expected, the cockpit detail was sparse (and that's being generous) so I stuck a pilot in there after having raised the seat to a more reasonable height, and closed up the canopy. The intakes on both sides of the fuselage had the most horrible fit; these needed large amounts of putty and coarse-grit sanding to shape and smooth the step/join. The main landing gear proved a tricky affair as well, being complex but poorly described in the instructions. I consider it a minor accomplishment achieving good alignment so the model sits evenly on its gear.

Being a cheap kit I saw no point to putting in any aftermarket - so this is a completely OOB build. Please excuse the overall grey scheme, it is rather plain.

kPmp2bW.jpg

p2lpMYF.jpg

LghL9gQ.jpg

OHRMmz0.jpg

mvdAwUM.jpg

1fzOCXJ.jpg

yPAMnDq.jpg

ZIHFLVr.jpg

Thanks for looking :bye:

• Like 45

Looks great! 🙃

The intake-to-fuselauge step is really nasty in that kit, but youd never know from your model 😉

If you feel like another flogger, hasegawa mig-27s can be picked up commonly - its what academy copied, but has better shape and fit 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Looks great! 🙃

The intake-to-fuselauge step is really nasty in that kit, but youd never know from your model 😉

If you feel like another flogger, hasegawa mig-27s can be picked up commonly - its what academy copied, but has better shape and fit 🙂

Ah! Someone who understands what it felt like....:angry:

I did not know the Hasegawa one was better, honestly I thought they were one and the same kit. No, I don't think I will do another one, at least not until a completely new, modern tool release comes along. There are some nice new Modelsvit, Trumpter and Zvezda Russians waiting in the stash :thumbsup:

I think this looks fantastic despite being just one color of gray! Besides... a lot of Soviet aircraft weren't known for being anything but drab. ;) I think your paint job, weathering and wear are top notch.  I myself would really like to do an East German MiG-23 in 1/72, but the lack of good kits out there is disappointing.

You did a great job.

• Like 1

You really made the most out of this kit and the grey paint scheme. A really very nice built and weathered Flogger :).

edited due to ac type mismatch.

Edited by PZL104
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

I think this looks fantastic despite being just one color of gray! Besides... a lot of Soviet aircraft weren't known for being anything but drab. ;) I think your paint job, weathering and wear are top notch.  I myself would really like to do an East German MiG-23 in 1/72, but the lack of good kits out there is disappointing.

You did a great job.

It was mentioned earlier that the Hasegawa kit is a little nicer, something you might want to consider? Personally, I think a good, new MiG-23 in 1/72 is way overdue. Am hoping the likes of Modelsvit will release one in the near future, seeing as how they're doing lots of neglected Russian subjects lately and their kits have been very favourably received.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PZL104 said:

You really made the most out of this kit and the grey paint scheme. A really very nice built and weathered Flanker :).

Oooh I'm building myself up to a Flanker... when I get enough confidence in myself to be able to do that plane justice - it's a favourite of mine, you see!

For now, I thought I might just *ahem* Flog this rather mediocre effort... 😉

20 hours ago, Min said:

Oooh I'm building myself up to a Flanker... when I get enough confidence in myself to be able to do that plane justice - it's a favourite of mine, you see!

For now, I thought I might just *ahem* Flog this rather mediocre effort... 😉

It's very similar here. I love the perfect aerodynamic design of the Flanker, but the interesting main landing gear design and the folding ventral fin of the Flogger make it rather unique.

Btw, I'd be happy if my attempts would be as 'mediocre' as yours!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@Min May I ask what colour you used for the fuselage? I've just started this very same kit, and unsure what colour to go for in relation to that slightly off grey colour they used. In some photos its almost a white-grey while others have a blue tint to it. I'm brush painting in Tamiya acrylics for this one, but was considering getting a can of AS-26 which is a blue/grey colour.

You weren't joking when you said the cockpit was lacking details, literally nothing haha. Did you also have issues with the placement of the pilots seat? I found I had to place it further back else it was too far forwards.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:20 AM, Drunken_Jedi said:

May I ask what colour you used for the fuselage?

@Drunken_Jedi I had to dig around to find the answer to that, I used Gunze H324 Light Grey. Hope that helps.

Edited by Min
  • Thanks 1