Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon (revisited). A question about props?

Hey everyone

As I'm waiting for some bits to arrive for my Airfix 1/72 Lancaster I was having a mooch around the man cave and hiding in plain site were two, yes two Airfix 1/24 Typhoon kits with after market and three yes three part built engines! I originally started the build way back in 2014 with grand ideas of super-detailing  the kit into within an inch of its life, well I wasn't a master modeler back then and I sure ain't one now so I'm going to set my sights a little lower and just aim to complete the kit.

Why I have two kits has been gotten lost in the midst of time (I probably had a mad Ebay moment whilst I was still prone to a tipple) and as to the three part butchered motors I can only guess that in my attempts at super detailing (two of the motors are missing their spark plug ignition leads and coffman starter). So my plan is to salvage what I can from the three motors and complete one OOB and from the other two and create a stand alone model just of the engine and radiator (and try my hand at super detailing to replace to missing leads etc).

The Typhoon I want to recreate is Babs VIII in 1/24, I built the rather splendid 1/48 Hasegawa kit back in 2017 and finished it as Babs and I just really like the look of the Typhoon in this particular scheme..

P1030886

P1030876

P1030882

..So I have the Kit..

a19002

..and the after market...

616943-11453-20-pristine

airscaleas24tiffreviewbf_1

35435141300_0e037d54e1_b.jpg

..now all I need is the patience to finish the darn thing!

Here are a couple of pictures of what I have work with with regards to the engine / cockpit frame work, the engine I'll leave out for now, until I have an exceptable work in progress to show..

IMG_0360

IMG_0362

..I should be able to spend a little time on her later and hopefully the masking set that I'm waiting on for my Lanc should be here today (with any luck)

Cheers

Iain

• Like 7

Hello again

I've spent an hour assessing the damage to the three motors and I can build one good one from them. I've already fixed the broken broken pipework on the front of the engine using 'sprue goo' so it should give it a good strong bond and I have plans to fix the broken spark plug cables on the port side using bits from my donor engine..

edit1

..and I will redo the pipework on the motor just to try and make it 'pop' a bit more..

IMG_0365

..Oh and the postie has just been and I have the masks (among other things) to finish my Lanc - happy days)

Iain

• Like 5

I have two of these in my stash too - one is nearly complete and the other not yet started. My plan is to build one in flight (with electric motor to spin the prop) and the other with all the panels off and that beautiful engine on display. Of course 'display' implies that I'll actually have room to keep the thing once it's built...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I have two of these in my stash too - one is nearly complete and the other not yet started. My plan is to build one in flight (with electric motor to spin the prop) and the other with all the panels off and that beautiful engine on display. Of course 'display' implies that I'll actually have room to keep the thing once it's built...

Hey Gordon

They are really very good kits, ok the amount of seams that have to be cleared up is a little excessive but OOB it does build up into a very faithful replica of a Typhoon. Do you have any progress pictures of your nearly completed one it would be great to see them?

And yes your right they a behemoth once finished (but worth the space they take up in my humble opinion).

Cheers buddy

Iain 

• Like 1

I Feel like I'm stalking you Iain (I'm not honest 🙄) another great build I'm sure! 

I had one of these kits a few years ago, sold it off as nowhere to display it at the time. Changed now though. Regret it, as you do. 

Anyway, nice job so far 

30 minutes ago, Antb said:

I Feel like I'm stalking you Iain (I'm not honest 🙄) another great build I'm sure! 

I had one of these kits a few years ago, sold it off as nowhere to display it at the time. Changed now though. Regret it, as you do. 

Anyway, nice job so far 

Ha Ha - remember the injunction!!

How you doin' buddy?

Yeah I dunno why I put mine to one side, I've seen some great builds here on Britmodeller and other places but for some reason I chose to forget that I had two in the stash? Thanks for the the kind words mate, I've spent a rather pleasant hour in the man cave repainting some of the pipework, just to jazz it up a little bit and later on I'll carry on with some actual gluing of bits together (I can't guarantee that they will be the right bits in the right place mind).

Cheers

Iain

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Do you have any progress pictures of your nearly completed one it would be great to see them?

Actually my build stalled quite some time ago and I'm waiting until the urge to start up again hits me.

Took me a while to track down the WIP thread but here it is:

As you'll see I made a major error during construction but managed to get around it. I should also say that I am much further along than the thread implies, so clearly I stopped updating it for some reason. The fuselage is complete and it does actually look like a plane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Actually my build stalled quite some time ago and I'm waiting until the urge to start up again hits me.

Took me a while to track down the WIP thread but here it is:

As you'll see I made a major error during construction but managed to get around it. I should also say that I am much further along than the thread implies, so clearly I stopped updating it for some reason. The fuselage is complete and it does actually look like a plane.

Hey Gordon

Thanks for the link to your build, 2016 where does the time go eh? I like what you've achieved so far, is the model in the same state now or have you managed a little more? 

I've spent the afternoon going over the pipework on mine with a more pronounced silver and tomorrow I'll give the whole thing a light wash just to..

a: help it to pop

b: help hide my rubbish detail painting 😊

I have to be honest I am really enjoying this and I'm looking forward to making a start on the IP, I have the airscale set for mine as I think the decal supplied by Airfix has some dubious colours for the instruments.

Cheers buddy and here hopefully to seeing more of your build?

Iain

Hey everyone

Well I fully intended to spend as much time as I could in the man cave today but my wife (bless her) had the bright idea of going to Mylor Harbour to a: take our dog for a walk / swim and b: have a spot of breakfast at the Mylor Cafe, which I have to say is always very, very good....you gotta love living in Cornwall 👍

IMG_0377

...sorry I digress. I did manage to spend a couple of hours on the Typhoon today and I've managed to complete the majority of the construction of the mighty Napier Saber engine...

IMG_0378

...you don't appreciate just how big the model is even when its just some wing spars and engine. 

One thing I will say about constructing the engine is that you need tweezers, a steady hand and patients and I gotta say I poses two of those attributes but the third fails me at times (but I'm glad to say not today).

I followed the instructions to the letter and I consider myself capable of following them but blimey at times I couldn't make head nor tails of where some of the pieces were supposed to fit let alone how you were supposed 

to wind them through the already installed pipework 😤, once you figure it out though the results are more than worth it...

IMG_0385

IMG_0386

IMG_0382

....I've given the engine a gloss coat and tomorrow I'll start a little light weathering to enhance the look of it and also to help cover some of my ropy painting 🙄.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 5

Hey everyone

Well today has been a bit of an up n down kinda day. @GordonD and @Christer A made me aware of the possible pitfalls of attaching the radiator to the model and the possibility of a gap between the radiator and part D15, well I had no problem at all attaching said parts but I did encounter issues trying to thread some of the pipe work through the air frame structure, so much in fact that I resorted to cutting some of the pipework in half just to get it to fit - I wont tell you which bits I 'modified' but you can spot it if you know where to look 😊, but my biggest issue was trying to attach part C17 a pipe that leads from the coolant tank along the length of the engine, the instructions are a little vague on its positioning and the fixing point (on the coolant tank) is also very vague. I had real problems getting this rather flimsy length of plastic to sit where I thought it was supposed to, I tried super glue, extra thin and thick glue, I tried swearing (repeatedly), I asked it nicely and I threatened it but all that happened was it started to ruin the finish of the coolant tank and the pipe. I walked away from it for 10 minutes and had a cuppa and it dawned on me that I was going about attaching it totally wrong, I was trying to attach it via a single point on the coolant tank and run it along the engine, but this was never going to work as there isn't enough surface area for the glue to stick to so to over come this I glued the length of the pipe along the engine attaching it just underneath the spark plug ports and then gluing it to the coolant tank, worked a treat but it means that I do need to tidy up the pipework after the initial abuse that I subjected it too 😤...

IMG_0388

IMG_0389

IMG_0391

IMG_0392

IMG_0396

....so I'm going to leave it well alone for a day or so so it can totally cure then I'll make good the rough bits and give it a light weathering before I make a start on the cockpit.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 6

Hey everyone

I've managed a little work on the cockpit and the prop. I finished the instrument panel yonks ago and it looks ok, I do however have all the necessary bits to make another ummm I dunno what do you guys think?..

IMG_0403

IMG_0404

IMG_0405

Well that's all I have to have to show for now.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 7

Ian, your ongoing build is inspirational! I am a 1/72 modeler with new mold Air Fix Typhoon waiting for some like you to come and spark interest--you most certinally did!  The framing of your cockpit and colors used are fantastic--the engine is 1st rate... I am following from across the pond w/ interest--best, Erwin     

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan

15 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Ian, your ongoing build is inspirational! I am a 1/72 modeler with new mold Air Fix Typhoon waiting for some like you to come and spark interest--you most certinally did!  The framing of your cockpit and colors used are fantastic--the engine is 1st rate... I am following from across the pond w/ interest--best, Erwin     

Hiya Erwin

Thank you for your very kind words and I'm rather humbled to think that my build has inspired you to start your own 1/72 Typhoon. The colours used for the cockpit framing are games workshop Runefang steel and a mixture of Tamiya acrylics.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Morning all

I have a general question regarding the material used to make the prop blades for the Typhoon am I right in thinking that they were made by de-havilland from a metal called Dural?

I knocked the prop together yesterday and will need to think about adding a little weathering / wear and tear shortly. From the photographic evidence that I've found on line the props got dirty certainly but they didn't seem to wear the paint down to the metal? Does anyone know if they in fact did?

Traces of war

Typhoon_XM-K_182_Sqn_1945

worldwarphotos

Colton51

vintagewings

Colton02

vintagewings

And here's how my prop looks attached to the motor (by heck its BIG)..

IMG_0408

IMG_0406

IMG_0407

Thanks for any advice.

Iain

• Like 7

On 5/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

So who's going to be the first to build a diorama of this?

• Haha 1

Iain, the paint work on that prop is shockingly smooth! So Matt as well, really nice work.

I’m pretty sure your right about the prop, metal, definitely got grubby, but I’ve never seen one with any real chipping. I would say you might want to lighten the black at points where the airflow would have been highest, and maybe give them some dirt with pastels... not something I would think about in 1/72, but obviously with this colossus you have a bit more scope for weathering detail to bring it to life a bit more.

excellent work 👍🏻

Rob

Excellent work so far, sir! You are somewhat correct on the metal used, it's called Duralumin, and seemed to be pretty common as a skin material (Alclad does a phenomenal version of it.) Also, on my Spit's prop I used a sharpened pencil along the leading edge then built up the wear from there

From an honorary Cornishman (the general is from Penzance)

Edited by Fulcrum Guy

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The way you have the engine & prop in those photos kinda looks like the sort of display one would see in the entrance hall of an Aero museum

Its big enough to be an actual display in an aero museum! 😂

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Iain, the paint work on that prop is shockingly smooth! So Matt as well, really nice work.

I’m pretty sure your right about the prop, metal, definitely got grubby, but I’ve never seen one with any real chipping. I would say you might want to lighten the black at points where the airflow would have been highest, and maybe give them some dirt with pastels... not something I would think about in 1/72, but obviously with this colossus you have a bit more scope for weathering detail to bring it to life a bit more.

excellent work 👍🏻

Rob

Hey Rob

My thoughts exactly and I think that pastels would be the way forward - as it is it does look like a big hunk of silver and black with a little yellow thrown in. 

52 minutes ago, Fulcrum Guy said:

Excellent work so far, sir! You are somewhat correct on the metal used, it's called Duralumin, and seemed to be pretty common as a skin material (Alclad does a phenomenal version of it.) Also, on my Spit's prop I used a sharpened pencil along the leading edge then built up the wear from there

From an honorary Cornishman (the general is from Penzance)

Hiya

Good man (honorary or no) from all of the pictures that I've found from scouring the web I have really struggled to find any where the prop has taken any kind of bashing, same goes for the spinner too, dirty yes but worn down to the metal ummmmm?

32 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

That looks lovely sir.

I too have this in my stash, and I will follow this thread.

Simon.

Hi Simon

Thanks buddy it is a crackin' kit, you just need patience and a little prior planning 😀

Gents thanks for the kind words and input -I'm going to concentrate on the cockpit for now and weather the prop once I'm more advanced with the build, kinda weather the whole thing in a onner like 👍

Iain (lives in Cornwall but who is in fact a Brummie - well Droitwich)

• Like 1