Is it CA on post and zip kicker on thread or vice versa for rigging ?

HI,

Rigging a ship, EZ line or in my case nylon fishing thread 0.08 etc

Should I put a small drop of CA glue on the post top, then a bit of Zip Kicker CA accelerator on the line and bring them together, or is it the other way round ?

Zip kicker runs so surely if I am with zip kicker at top of line it will run down, or is this process only for the bottom of the strand where gravity will keep the ZipKicker on the end of line ready for touching onto cabin roof or deck post ?

If so what is process for where line attached to mast top etc ?

Would a pre coloured (marker pen) line be ok or would the ink on it make for disaster ?

I aim to start at a deck structure and go up to mast etc, seems sensible.

Merlin

• Like 2

I have never been successful with either method although I'm pretty sure it's me and not either method, so it'll be interesting to hear what others say.

I 'semi' secure the part with CA and then apply a little kicker with a brush, very quickly, as you don't want to stick the brush to the part...as me how I know.

Stuart

An interesting method Merlin, but I really don’t have any idea either and I probably should pull my finger out to learn about rigging  as I’m looking a doing its on my current builds.

• 2 months later...

One of the glues I've been using for this is UV glue. It is very clear and whilst generally is reasonably runny you can get gels. 

The stuff sticks / attaches / beads whilst unset to most of the surfaces I've tried it on, is quite strong, won't damage plastic and can be built up in set layers (e.g. making deck or mast lights for ships). Most of the rigging materials I've used have retained enough of this glue to stick once the light is applied. You just need to hold the rigging still for about 20 seconds.

The magic happens when the UV torchlight is applied. It's superb as long as the UV torchlight can reach the glue. i.e. don't use it between non clear surfaces or where the glue can't "see" the light.