MPC / ERTL - C3-P0 (Kenner 1978) - Completed

Here is my completed MPC / ERTL - C3-P0

As with R2-D2, this was a blast from the past, getting to have another go at building a kit I first did in the late 1970's was good fun.

As I had two kits in the box, I used an extra arm and gave it the option of being able to have the 'red arm' as seen in the later films. The red colour is a mixture of Humbrol 100 (Red Brown) and 19 (Bright Red) painted over the black undercoat.

Again, I've kept C3-P0 fairly clean, but not too bright to make it toy like. The eyes were painted yellow with black pupils, and the wiring on the midriff picked out in various colours.

47023864044_79f817323d_k.jpg

47813268211_b0a2ce679e_k.jpg

And the 'Red Arm':

46896864605_bcaabe7718_k.jpg

Ad with his buddy, R2-D2:

47023864024_4d5a5c54dc_k.jpg

46896864495_279a9709a0_k.jpg

47023863934_2cb25ed1ca_k.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I had both of these kits back in the day, I never noticed back then how big 3PO’s head was and how evil an expression he had. Both of these look spot on, a very nice restoration/build. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:04 AM, The Chief Smeg said:

I had both of these kits back in the day, I never noticed back then how big 3PO’s head was and how evil an expression he had. Both of these look spot on, a very nice restoration/build. 

LoL!! - Yes I noticed the evil expression on C3-P0's face! However, I think that was made worse by the lighting I used for the photographs; lit from only above (no flash) it gives him a really hooded brow that looks so evil.

The later pictures I took I used a flash that reduced the hooded look somewhat.

I to think that the head is a tad oversize - looks worse when close up.

Karl

it's great to see this smashing old kit built up and looking nice and retro cool - I remember this kit first arriving on the shelves and is a great blast from the past. I think I personally would get more enjoyment building this old kit as opposed to one of Bandai's CAD CAM generated alternative new releases

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

it's great to see this smashing old kit built up and looking nice and retro cool - I remember this kit first arriving on the shelves and is a great blast from the past. I think I personally would get more enjoyment building this old kit as opposed to one of Bandai's CAD CAM generated alternative new releases

I completly agree!