1/72 Hasegawa B-17G “Flying Fortress”, Part 2

I’d like to show you a few new pictures of my model B-17G-40-DL ”Flying Fortress” A/C # 44-6117, LG-Q 'no name' from 322BS / 91BG, depicted as it may have looked during its fifth and last mission on 21st June 1944.
The bomber crashed on 21st June 1944 in the lake at Castle Stolzenburg (Stolsko), nt Politz (Police), ca 14 miles NW of the place where I live in Szczecin.

The wreckage remains in the lake until today.

I dedicate these pictures to the family of one of the airmen onboard the aircraft during the fatal flight - TTG and flight engineer - SSgt Irvin H. Lewis.

The pictures of the model from the previous session here on Britmodeller.com brought SSgt I.H. Lewis’s relatives to finding a story about the plane in Lake Stolsko.

And this has been totally unexpected but very valuable outcome of my modelling passion.

LG-Q-090519-1.jpg

LG-Q-090519-10.jpg

LG-Q-090519-11.jpg

LG-Q-090519-12.jpg

LG-Q-090519-13.jpg

LG-Q-090519-14.jpg

LG-Q-090519-2.jpg

LG-Q-090519-3.jpg

LG-Q-090519-4.jpg

LG-Q-090519-5.jpg

LG-Q-090519-6.jpg

LG-Q-090519-7.jpg

LG-Q-090519-8.jpg

LG-Q-090519-9.jpg

The pictures are deliberately dark - just think about the original plane in the dark waters of the lake - mysterious, isn't it?

Thanks guys for watching.

Edited by Witman61
text correcting
  • Like 41

A fine tribute to the crew and their families as well as a very nice build of the excellent Hasegawa kit; despite its raised panel lines, it's  still the most accurate 1/72 B-17 kit in my opinion. If Hasegawa had only scribed it and put in proper wheel bays.... Very convincing natural metal finish, too!

Mike

• Like 1

That's fantastic - you've really captured the natural metal finish.

Also, it's nice to see a B-17 with an unpainted tail.

• Like 1

I am also a fan of the Hasegawa B-17 and this excellent example really shows why. I have no problem with the raised panel lines at all - to me, the surface of this beautifully made model looks every bit as good for a rivetty and clinker-built old thing like a full size B-17 as the equivalent engraved surface of a new Revell or Airfix kit. It's true that you have to be very carful not to lose the lines when you are rectifying joints, but in 1/72 I find drawing them back in lightly with a really sharp 4H pencil is just the job.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 5:39 AM, 28ZComeback said:

Wonderful finish! Do you wish to share your method for producing a scale-like bare metal finish? 

Super smooth base coat on smooth plastic - Tamiya gloss acrylics are OK, in this case Tamiya gloss black, and then a coupole of layers of Alclad Polished Aluminium. The panel shading was made mostly with Tamiya smoke X-19.

Hasegawa kit is made of very smooth - as polished plastic, so that was already a good base.

Edited by Witman61
Adding more text

On 5/10/2019 at 9:16 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

It does look good. Is the water it's in now salt or fresh water? no chance of it being salvaged I guess? or was it to wrecked?

The water is fresh, but the lake is crossed by German-Polish border and therefore almost no activities had been prformed over the years.

During last 75 years the wreck has sink well into mud at the bottom which acted as cement and it is hardly possible to do anything with it now.

And - well, soon, on the longest June day, there will be 75 years  when she found her final rest place here.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Witman61 said:

The water is fresh, but the lake is crossed by German-Polish border and therefore almost no activities had been prformed over the years.

During last 75 years the wreck has sink well into mud at the bottom which acted as cement and it is hardly possible to do anything with it now.

And - well, soon, on the longest June day, there will be 75 years  when she found her final rest place here.

To bad, but nothing can be done with it then.