which gloss varnish to use over Valejo model color that wont attack it and go yellow in time ?

Merlin

Hi,

painted out red valejo onto a tamiya white item, used acrylic as the white MUST remain white for all time, Humbrol white will go yellowy.

Now to gloss over them, use Tamiya X22 and the white bristles started to go pink...eeekk !!

Tamiya attacks Valejo

consider Johnsons Klear, drop it like a hot potato, internet youtube looking at varnishes says Klear not UV protected will yellow. Oh cripes, yet the number of threads where folk were saying use Klear.

same video shows a valejo gloss varnish pot having gone a bit dirty coloured. Both are like milk, sprayed such out onto black test piece it made it go grey !

All milk coloured varnishes tested make black go grey. Liquitex same problem, .

so ditch all those. A box of varnishes of no use.

galeria gloss, made it stay black, ...good...I read that Galeria does not like water onto it, so decaling could be an issue ?  using Klear to bed decals down method might be ok, is it ?

Seems that a spirity type varnish, any varnish that smells, will attack Valejo, thats a real nuisance. Valejo only ok with itself (but its that milk coloured stuff) or maybe Galeria.

Valejo is water based, that seems to be the problem, its soft, it needs primer, the bottles ara a paint to mix THOROUGHLY,. brush painting sees streaks, its not self levelling, clags up airbrush.

Convenience of a little pot no crud around lid offset by basic issues.

One goes with the latest stuff on the shelves and these problems arise, there are no signs up saying this will work with this, and wont work with that.

Everyone is into acrylics yet I join the party and discover these problems.

I think it must be galeria, the only varnish that wont grey a black and wont attack valejo or anything. But what pitfalls await ?

Merlin

Edited by Merlin
spelling mistake