P-47 Razorback question

Luka

Hi all,

I have Academy's 1/72 P-47 Razorback and I'm looking for a scheme with invasion stripes. Either full or the half post-invasion style.
The decals in the kit are for Lt. Rainbow's 'Anna Louise', and I came across this build;
AE270A16-0EAD-47EC-B01F-9E243E990612_zps

However, I only know of pictures of this plane without the invasion stripes. Also, the model looks a bit awkward to me with the stripes on the upper wings, but not on the upper fuselage.
Does anyone have any info on wether this plane flew with invasion stripes? Can this scheme be verified? It would save me some hunting for aftermarket decals.

Luka

A8-P%25201_zps9zekdbqy.jpg&key=3341b4dff

Give the date is given as late 1944,  I would presume the plane was old enought ot have had D-Day stripes,  which would then have been progressivley painted over, ie top of wings and fuselage, and then underneath later.

If 'Anna Louise' was flying around D-Day,  then she would have got stripes.

• Like 1

If you're doing this actual aircraft then I'd do the model without invasion stripes as there are several photos which exist showing the aircraft as such.

If you want to do a Razorback Jug with the stripes there are plenty of options. Chapters 5 and 6 in Jerry Scutts' "P-47 Thunderbolt Aces of the Eighth Air Force" is a good place to start if you're looking for inspiration.

Tim

The aircraft is 4322514, a 1943 airframe, so it is highly unlikely it got to France without having been operational in some sense during the D-Day period.  If you want to put invasion stripes on it, do. No-one will ever be able to prove that it never had them.  The 8th AF alone at the time of D-Day had 15 fighter groups, and out of all the thousands of USAAF aircraft marked in that way over the D-Day invasion period there are photographs of comparatively few. 

Thanks for the replies all!
Although I think it's sometimes tricky to just fill in the blanks, it's probably very likely that this bird had these stripes at some point. But yesterday I realised that li'l autistic me would then probably start to worry about the right amount of mission markings at that time (Rainbow's plane had lots of those in late '44), so I guess I'll look a bit further for a nice scheme.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I have found something here;

spacer.png

I have checked the serial database but unfortunately 226248 was missing in the list.
The caption with this profile reads;  P-47D-22-RE of the 512th Fighter Squadron, 416th Fighter Group, RAF Ashford (AAF-417), England, April 1944
But of course April doesn't coincide with the invasion stripes.

Anyone got any knowledge of this Jug?

21 hours ago, Luka said:

Sorry to bring this up again, but I have found something here;

spacer.png

I have checked the serial database but unfortunately 226248 was missing in the list.
The caption with this profile reads;  P-47D-22-RE of the 512th Fighter Squadron, 416th Fighter Group, RAF Ashford (AAF-417), England, April 1944
But of course April doesn't coincide with the invasion stripes.

Anyone got any knowledge of this Jug?

4P tells us that's it's actually a 513th FS aircraft and it's the 405th FG not 416th. One thing is correct though it is a D-22.

Here's an image of this aircraft from the 513th FS website. As you can see this says it was wrecked in August '44. A well weathered P-47, which would make a nice modelling subject.

42-26248.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks a bundle!
Also a nice little extra in the photo that isn't evident from the profile is the star on the wheel hub.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luka said:

Thanks a bundle!
Also a nice little extra in the photo that isn't evident from the profile is the star on the wheel hub.

I should have also pointed out that being a D-22 it would have left the factory in NMF, so the area under the canopy, behind the cockpit would have been NMF. Also the profile you posted has an aerial wire fitted, which I've only ever seen on a few P-47's very early on in England, they just were not needed in northern Europe.