Airfix 1\72 Curtiss Tomahawk IIB *Finished*

airfixpeter

22 minutes ago, helios16v said:

With so many excellent topics, it's far too easy to get in over your head. 

Something I've just learned myself this year. Im a bit overextended as far as time available -vs- promised commitments. Sadly will be pulling out of a few builds until i can catch up.  

Dennis

• Like 1

Great kit and great paint scheme! Super choice.

I am sure I will pick up some pieces of advice that may prove useful one day when I pull this kit out of my stash.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

Nice!  I was wondering if a P-40 would be turning up or not.  I am glad it has.  I built this kit a few years back and throuoghly enjoyed it.  I had a few issues with the build, but nothing that I hadn't caused myself.  See below for my attempt.  It will go together really quickly too, :)

20860985262_81ae7a920a_c.jpg

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 7

Hi Peter,

reading Dazzio's post above brought to mind the biggest mistake of this paint scheme: Airfix would like us to believe the prop spinner is black, when in reality it was red...

So, be warned!

Have fun!

JR

7 hours ago, jean said:

, when in reality it was red...

Not just any old red either but a dull dingy looking red, to match the roundel centres. Humbrol 100 Red Brown is a decent match.

Steve.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Not just any old red either but a dull dingy looking red, to match the roundel centres. Humbrol 100 Red Brown is a decent match.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

yes indeed it seems to be the consensus about the spinner's color, and you are very right to mention this.

I have never tried the Humbrol 100 for this use. I only use it for Spitfire bakelite seats... A tinlet should last several life times.

For the brick red of the roundels I stick to my trusted formula, all in Humbrol, of course: Red 60 +Dark Earth 29 + White 33: it usually is spot on with a minor bit of trial and error!

Have a great day!

JR

On 5/18/2019 at 8:30 PM, jean said:

Hi Peter,

reading Dazzio's post above brought to mind the biggest mistake of this paint scheme: Airfix would like us to believe the prop spinner is black, when in reality it was red...

So, be warned!

Have fun!

JR

As in 

top1.jpg&key=86cfe1f0cf611050deff7f010dc

In my case the red was Mr Color Roundel Red as I sprayed the main markings (badly). BTW some online research showed that it may not have had any aerial wires...YMMV

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Nice work! I've got thee same kit in the same GB with more or less the same markings. Only progress is different: i.e. very slow!

What is that interior colour?

Alan

• Like 1

Coming along nicely. What colour did you use for the cockpit? An interior green would maybe look more appropriate. Curtiss used Yellow Zincromate with black mixed in, giving a greenish look.

spacer.png

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus Tura said:

Peter,

Nice work! I've got thee same kit in the same GB with more or less the same markings. Only progress is different: i.e. very slow!

What is that interior colour?

Alan

I was following the instructions so it's ended up as desert sand  I will try and correct it as I am waiting for some seatbelts.

I forgot to add that I am using tamiya paints and it was xf 59 desert yellow it eventually ended up as.

Edited by peterairfix