what glue is best for making insulators etc on aerials ?

Hi,

studying pics my ship has 'blobs' on the aerial wires and rigging wires, being insulators and also tensioning joints etc.

Need to paint something on the nylon thread to represent these, but which glue to use which wont run down the already rigged aerial, and which will retain the size of the blob I make, as most glues shrink, looks good then come back to it and its no longer looking good !

Or is it best done before the scale wires etc are attached to the vessel ? I still have visions of the glue being on the underside of the 'wire' if I have it stretched out on a jig prior to putting on the vessel.

Merlin

Edited by Merlin
spelling mistake

7 hours ago, Merlin said:

insulators

Here are my insulators from my ASRL build.

IMG_8261.jpg&key=adea673d5ec7901e8a90bd5

The larger insulators/ spacers are made from rings of copper wire but I think you're after smaller ones in the pic? For those I used Formula 560 canopy glue, very similar to full strength PVA glue. It does shrink a little but you just a little more until your happy, then paint it a suitable colour. I do this when the lines are fitted.

HTH

Stuart

Hi Guys,

PVA glue it will be then.

I see I also have some R/C Modellers Craft Glue by Deluxe Materials which is I think a little more dense than standard PVA.

for PVA I use Evo stick, I find it a bit better than a bog standard make like B&Q dial etc.

I diod also have some Aliphatic resin, which I recall was less prone to shrinkage.

For zero shrinkage there is 5 minute epoxy resin, great for spherical knobs on gear levers etc,, but not sure how it would behave on a sloping line, might attack the rubber of EZline, though I am using fishing line as it has no twisted ribbon effect.

Many thanks

Merlin

Edited by Merlin
extra data

I have used PVA on my Sea King (72nd)  build for the insulator with Ezline as the HF antenna wire, no problems at all , the long tube was insulation cut from an old phone hands free kit threaded

over the line, quite effective I think. 

P1050482

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

I did also get the idea of very thin insulation threaded on line, I need to find a source of such, but it gives as you have found a perfect shape, good for turnbuckles etc, or as you have done.

Cheers

Merlin