1/48 Airfix Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2

My contribution to this GB is the Airfix 1/48 scale Curtiss P-40B Warhawk.

spacer.png

I intend to use some resin goodies in this build.

The P-40s from the American Volunteer Group (AVG) always fascinated me and this GB is a great opportunity to finally build one of these aircraft. If I make it to the painting stage, I will paint the model as white 75 from the 3rd Pursuit Squadron "Hell's Angels" flown by William Reed. He was credited with 10.5 kills as a flight leader in the AVG. He achieved 7 additional kills with the 7th Fighter Squadron of the USAAF Chinese Air Task Force in which the AVG was integrated. He was killed in January 1944 while bailing out of his aircraft after returning from a mission.

Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 P-8186 has some interesting markings.

spacer.png

It has the small 75 still on the nose, but a medium size 75 overpainted below the cockpit. The Sharkmouth is newly applied and the chalk applied outline is still visible.

Above profile is based on this picture taken in December 1941.

spacer.png

Thomas Tullis stated in EaglesFiles 4 that there is still a RAF roundel on the upper wing. I have to say I am not convinced. Yes there is something like a roundel visible (very faintly). But it is too small for a RAF roundel and also located too close to the wing tip. it is actually at the same location the Chinese roundel is and also of the same size as a Chinese roundel.

And here from the other side with the artist of the Sharkmouth, Stan Regis. This picture is most likely taken at the same time as the picture above.

spacer.png

Also here is the chalk applied outline still visible.

The next picture I came across is a bit of an oddity.

spacer.png

Difficult to say if the chalk applied outline is still in place due to the softness of the picture. But of interest is the much lighter colour of the panel across the exhaust and also in front of the cockpit where the "Hell's Angel" is located. Very different to the other pictures.

And the final picture was taken in January 1942 with three kill marks in place with William Reed in front of his aircraft.

spacer.png

Difficult to say of the chalked outline was still in place by then, but I would think it was gone by then.

I am still puzzled about the different panel colours on the third picture.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 8

On 5/10/2019 at 1:27 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could the panel be a replacement from a scrapped aircraft ? 

Unlikely as the shape of the sharkmouth and numbers are identical to the one on the first picture.

As the weather was rather good today, I spent the day on the flying field having a bit of fun with this lot.

spacer.png

But I did spent some time on the Warhawk yesterday, mainly comparing some details with pictures.

I read many reviews on the Airfix P-40B and had a look through several online builds from this kit of which there are plenty and all hold the kit in high esteem. Some even thought the kit is up there with Tamiya and Eduard.

One exception is the build from Jumpei Temma who did some extensive research on the type and building the Airfix kit which makes some interesting reading.

But most of his findings I won't implement as the corrections are minimal (1mm or less), but when comparing the Airfix kit to pictures of real aircraft, there is still plenty to correct which doesn't involve major surgery.

Some fixes which will enhance the finished model are well know like the missing ruder trim tab engraving on the port side.

spacer.png

And some of the substantial sink marks.

But unfortunately there are some other issues. Lets start with the fuselage.

spacer.png

1. This panel line should run parallel to the exhaust opening (and the one above too)

2. Having just holes to represent the panel fasteners

3. Airfix has this panel raised

4. What the heck happened here?

And here is how it looks on a preserved aircraft.

spacer.png

1 - Panel line Is parallel to the exhaust

2 - No holes

3 - Panel is flush.

And it looks the same on a period picture.

spacer.png

The Airfix fuselage to wing fairing has some issues too.

spacer.png

5 - Fuel access openings on port side missing

6 - Even though these rivets look great. There aren't any on the aircraft

As can be seen on the picture of a preserved example.

spacer.png

Of interest is point 4. I think Airfix tried to represent this stressed skin effect which above aircraft clearly shows.

But this wasn't the case on period aircraft - and where are all the raised rivets

spacer.png

And how about the wings.

spacer.png

7 - Airfix has these 2 panel recessed.

8 - Extra panel

9 - Trim tap activator in place but forgot the engraving for them (they are on the top side). But no other trim tabs have the activator rods in place ...

Also the trailing edges are on the thick side which is unfortunately a typical Airfix feature on most of their new kits.

And as sen on a preserved aircraft.

spacer.png

7 - Flush with rest of the wing

spacer.png

8 - No panel here

9 - There is a trim tab

10 - That is interesting. Yes it is the landing light.

spacer.png

Airfix has it faired over  and it is even shown in the instructions - and the lens is included on the clear sprue as well! But no mentioning that this hole should be opened up and the lens fitted. No idea why Airfix did it this way as all P-40Bs had landing lights.

Talking about lights. The navigation lights on the wing tips are a bit of a mixed bag.

spacer.png

They are spot on on the bottom of the wing, but unfortunately not on the top.

Airfix incorporated several recessed and raised rivets on this kit. The problem is that in most cases the recessed rivets should be raised and vise versa.

spacer.png

11 - Should be raised rivets

12 - Should be fasteners

As can be seen here.

spacer.png

I am sure there is some stuff I missed and will discover when building the kit.

Is this kit on par with Tamiya or Eduard? You be the judge on that. To me it has more the feel of a short run kit like Special Hobby. Yes I know it is currently the best long nose P-40 out there, but with a bit of extra research from Airfix, it could be a  much more accurate kit.

Now lets see how I can enhance some of the Airfix implemented details :hmmm:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Have you seen the Life magazine photo’s from the Curtiss factory production line. They're color photo’s and a good number are during assembly ? I have a good number of them saved and can send them to you. I think @72modeler may also have posted a link at some point in the past. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I didn't manage a lot this week as spare time was at a premium and will be for some time to come. So I decided to halt all my other builds and use the little time I have to hopefully complete this build in the time frame of this GB.

First I glued the separate engine panel to the fuselage half as it allows to then rework that part of the airframe before the fuselage is glued together.

The next step was to fill panel lines which I thought are too heavy handed  and all the engine fasteners holes.

spacer.png

I used my Superglue / talcum powder mix to do this as this stuff is much easier to rescribe than any filler I tried.

After sanding it down to the plastic, things looked much better.

spacer.png

Some of the panel lines are already rescribed on the upper fuselage and the strange looking one above the wing looks normal again.

That is all for this week.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

Got a bit further this week, finishing the rework of the fuselage. rescribing the engine cover panel lines was a bit tricky.

spacer.png

I also found that Airfix placed panel lines where only rivet lines are. So more filling was in place.

spacer.png

And after doing the riveting, it doesn't look like a toy anymore :thumbsup:

Here the two fuselage parts.

spacer.png

And the corrected engine detail.

spacer.png

There was a lot of rescribing, but I think it was worth doing it.

Now I can start the cockpit.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5

Got the Aires cockpit sorted. The Airfix cockpit isn't bad, but does look a bit clunky in comparison with the fines of the Aires parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I replaced the Aires seat with the Ultracast type as the Aires seat was of the rounded variety, but the AVG P-40s had the straight type and most had only a lap harness installed.

And I managed to make it all fit after some rework.

spacer.png

spacer.png

But I don't understand why Ultracast didn't make the seat fit the Airfix parts properly as the rods are way to short. I fitted the bottom of the Airfix part as this won't be seen in the assembled cockpit.

And I hope it will look nice when painted.

spacer.png

Cheers, Peter

• Like 6

The cockpit received a coat of black primer followed by my own brew of Curtiss Green.

spacer.png

I got it reasonably close to what it looks on the Life colour pictures.

spacer.png

And like Curtiss, I used Yellow Zinc-chromate with a bit of black and Aluminum mixed together. Next is detailing the pit :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

Finished the detailing of the cockpit which is a bit of a lengthy process.

- After painting a wash

- Adding some decals

- Flat varnish

- chipping with pencils, some filters and some pigments for dirt

- Semi Gloss varnish

Then it looks like that.

spacer.png

Aires cockpit sides with some kit decals and Yahu side panel.

spacer.png

Aires cockpit floor with Ultracast seat and incorporated lap harness.

spacer.png

The Yahu Instrument Panel in place.

spacer.png

General view of the cockpit.

I kept it relatively clean as the AVG crew chiefs did look after the aircraft with pride.

Still have to fit the gun bodies and then I can button up the fuselage.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

Thanks John. The Yaho IPs are indeed one of the best enhancement in a cockpit.

Not much done this week as I built this baby.

spacer.png

Love the "Chinglish" decal. Had the maiden flight today and all went well :D

Did manage to glue the internals into the fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The rear of the guns are now in place too and all is ready to close the fuselage.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately spare time for building on my models is at a premium. But I did manage to get the fuselage together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still needs some tidy-up and finishing the riveting.

And the cockpit.

spacer.png

I will install the seat at the end.

Also done the riveting of the wings.

spacer.png

Curtiss used lots of them.

Used the opportunity to correct some issues mentioned in post #3 and came up with this.

spacer.png

There is still more work needed on the wings after they are glued together, which is the next step.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The classic sharkmouth aircraft and unit. A lot of work to correct this one, plus a lot more extra work with the detail sets. Well done in what you have accomplished so far.

• Like 1

Thanks Jabba. Unfortunately I decided to not continue this build, concentrating on my two builds in the D-Day GB instead as I have a better change in finishing them in the time frame of the GB. I will move this build to the Work in progress forum and will be back on it after I finished the two D-Day builds.

Cheers, Peter

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...