1/96 Lindberg Shooting Star ++ FINISHED ++

CliffB

Hi all.

It's about time that I threw my hat into the ring with this one please.

P1100659.JPG

According to Scalemates, the moulds date from 1957, but this boxing is 1960s vintage.

The instructions are printed on the back of the box.  What more do you need? :winkgrin:

P1100660.JPG

The kit's alright really.  Raised panel lines, but they're very fine and thankfully there's nothing showing where the markings should go.

P1100661.JPG

The decals themselves were pretty yellowed, but in anticipation of this GB I took advantage of the Easter sunshine (remember that?), to bleach them back to useability.

P1100662.JPG

As you can see the red is out of register (probably OK in this scale), and one set of tail serials has been printed upside down :blink:

I'm going to be kicking my heels in a cold, damp watermill all day today (I'm a volunteer guide and not expecting much action given the weather), so I may be able to get this simple kit stuck together.  I might even put up the 'Mill Closed' sign, just to make sure! :wicked:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

This I want to see! 

I picked up their 1.72 kit once, took a look at the contents, and binned it. 

Definitely the worst kit I've ever seen. 

This, however, does look a lot better, so good luck with the build. 

I just had total success with the decal sheet from the ancient Revell boxscale Connie, say about 1958 or so. 

Fingers crossed for yours! 

• Like 1

Thanks Rob.

I didn't manage to get anything done on the Shooting Star at the mill today, but a couple of hours this evening has seen me:

• block all the see-through passages (plates over the air intakes and a piece of sponge in front of the jet pipe)

P1100663.JPG

• assemble the main parts (after a little fettling)

P1100664.JPG

If only everything in life was this simple!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

I love these old 50's kits and it looks as if you're doing a great job.

By the way (and here's a massive off-topic diversion) I discovered today that modelling was a central part of the Lindberg family's life.  

Paul Lindberg's daughter, Christina, became a 1:1 photographic model and was featured in a late 1960's Playboy magazine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bhouse said:

I love these old 50's kits and it looks as if you're doing a great job.

By the way (and here's a massive off-topic diversion) I discovered today that modelling was a central part of the Lindberg famiy's life.  

Paul Lindberg's daughter, Christina, became a 1:1 photographic model and was featured in a late 1960's Playboy magazine.

Thanks Brian

I'm a bit puzzled by the Christina refrence though - I always thought she was Swedish (IIRC that was part of the appeal :winkgrin:)

Cheers

Cliff

14 hours ago, bhouse said:

Lindberg's daughter, Christina, became a 1:1 photographic model and was featured in a late 1960's Playboy magazine

...... No. Not seeing anything there that would preclude her from being Swedish 😇

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

...... No. Not seeing anything there that would preclude her from being Swedish 😇

Mystery solved.  

Google Paulette Lindberg and all will be revealed.......

Thanks again to Brian (bhouse), for flagging this up - it was definitely worth the diversion!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the more mundane subject of plastic modelling and my little Shooting Star is now ready for priming.  It's always good when there's a pilot figure included in a kit :winkgrin:

P1100682.jpg

I'm not that familiar with the F-80, but I was surprised at how portly it looks.

P1100683.jpg

I found that the canopy in my kit was cracked, but fortunately I had a second (more recent) boxing of the kit which was able to provide a replacement.

Fighters-Four.jpg

Having decided to sacrifice this second kit, I used some of its other parts where they were better moulded than the originals (hence the assortment of silver bits).

P1100684.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CliffB said:

'm not that familiar with the F-80, but I was surprised at how portly it looks.

Yea, I think that's the Lindberg line, rather than Lockheed. 

I could see with the 1.72 scale kit that it was well overweight. It had the look of being inflated.. 

The F7U Cutlass looks kinda interesting! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yea, I think that's the Lindberg line, rather than Lockheed. 

I could see with the 1.72 scale kit that it was well overweight. It had the look of being inflated.. 

The F7U Cutlass looks kinda interesting! 

Oh well, I guess I'll have to live the bloating.

Apart from the Corsair (which I believe is a very famous Korean War machine), the other markings in the 'Fighters Four' boxing are pure fancy.

I think that the Cutlass markings belong on an F7U-3 (the definitive production version), but the kit represents the earlier F7U-1.  I therefore built it as one of the prototypes in last summer's Blitzbuild GB.

P1100469.jpg

I've built the Hellcat too (in the last MTO GB!), so just the Corsair to do now, in the 2020 STGB :)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

It looks as if the poor pilot has been caught and almost buried in a snowdrift.

Absolutely Col - but, as the Cutlass photo shows, things don't look quite so ridiculous once painted :blink:!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

I think that the Cutlass markings belong on an F7U-3 (the definitive production version), but the kit represents the earlier F7U-1.  I therefore built it as one of the prototypes in last summer's Blitzbuild GB.

P1100469.jpg

PM Inbound cliff regards the Cutlass. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I must admit that I've been neglecting the Shooting Star recently.  So here's an update.

First coat of primer on, cockpit painted and the 'cut edge' of the canopy painted black to prevent it from being visible when cemented in place.

P1100755.jpg

P1100756.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

I'd hoped to have this one finished by now, but when I came to use the decals they were still just too yellowed (despite bleaching in the sun).

So I'll be scanning/re-printing them and painting the tail flashes instead.

P1100773.jpg

• Like 1

And here we are finished.  Over the last couple of months I've become quite attached to its portly appearance ...

P1100775.jpg

Thanks to all of you who have supported the build and to Patrice for hosting :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3