Bit of advise please

Bryan71

On 5/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, Bryan71 said:

fancy trying a plane never built one before was thinking 1/48.So any suggestions on a good kit please 

Sturmovik isn't wrong. Tamiya is one of the better companies. Question really should be what are you interested in ? WW2, Cold war,  or Modern. Western or Soviet bloc German or Allies all of that will really determine manufacturers. Once you know the aircraft then you can determine the best kit. Im here if you need any help ? Just do  this @Corsairfoxfouruncle And it will get my attention. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Ok that helps narrow it down a little. Tamiya’s new stuff is great. The Spitfire and 109 are getting some excellent reviews. Be careful if you purchase the Spitfire. Make sure you are getting the new tool kit not the older Mk.1 from the 90’s. Tamiya also has an early 109 E as well as Focke-wulf 190’s of various types. They include the A’s and F’s so you will have a good choice. If you want a twin engine aircraft they cover those as well. They do an excellent Mosquito and an decent Beaufighter. The also have the Do.335 and Me.262. Whichever way you opt to go you should be satisfied. Ive built them all except the late war german Dornier 335 and Me.262. 

Dennis

I would say try to build an P-51D Mustang. Can't go wrong these days as there are good kits from so many makers in 1/48 - Tamiya, the new one from Airfix and the coming one from Eduard. And it served with RAF too...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Be careful if you purchase the Spitfire. Make sure you are getting the new tool kit not the older Mk.1 from the 90’s.

Dennis

The old one fom the 1990s will be absolutely fine, and arguably better for someone experimenting with a first aeroplane kit build and who evidently isn't a Spitfire expert intimately familiar with every curve and contour. It's available a lot cheaper than the new one, is a lot simpler, looks adequately Spitfire-shaped to 99.9% of the population, and just falls together.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

The old one fom the 1990s will be absolutely fine, and arguably better for someone experimenting with a first aeroplane kit build and who evidently isn't a Spitfire expert

I agree but my reasoning was a little different. I was pointing the o/p towards the newer kit for one simple reason. I didn't want him to purchase/build the older kit. Only to then find a review stating that it isn't the best on its dimensions or was inaccurate. I didn't want the o/p to feel he had picked a lesser quality kit. 

Dennis

My 2 cents, even though Canada gave up on pennies years ago.

I would go British as I believe the camo colours would be easier to do as opposed to German with most of them having mottled paint jobs that be a bit difficult to pull off well if you are not that experienced at doing it.

Chris

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

My 2 cents, even though Canada gave up on pennies years ago.

Chris

great idea !!!

now if we can just get the USA to do the same (it costs more than one cent to make a penny)

did you do something to replace it? or just make everything rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents?

(sorry if this is seen as thread hijacking -but I thought the answer might be valuable to others)

5 hours ago, PFlint said:

great idea !!!

now if we can just get the USA to do the same (it costs more than one cent to make a penny)

did you do something to replace it? or just make everything rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents?

(sorry if this is seen as thread hijacking -but I thought the answer might be valuable to others)

We rounded it up to the closest nickel amount.

Chris

Gathering up all the recommendations given here, I'll make a list of subjects that may interest you:

German:

Anything from Tamiya. It may sound ridiculous, but their stuff is both easy to assemble and cheap.

Hobby Boss's Bf 109G, Fw 190D and Me 262 family are also an inexepensive way of building a good collection. Good amount of detail into a small quantity of parts. Colour callouts may be a hit or miss.

Let's not forget Eduard, who dominates the Messerschmitt Bf 109 family, having issued Bf 109s from the E-1 to the G-14, and soon enough they'll release the K variant. They've also released all the Fw 190 variants, from the A-1 to the D-13 (the A-1 is only available on their Royal Edition boxing). The A-1 to A-4 are newly tooled, there're two boxings of the A-8 and A-8/R2 (old and new tool). The A-5 to A-7 are the old tool versions, and should be left to a more experienced modeller.

Airfix also makes the Bf 109E variants, and have released two Ju 87B versions.

Italeri has released the Ju 87B-2, Ju 87 Picchiatello, Ju 87D and Ju 87G.

British:

Tamiya, again, produces the Mustang Mk.III, Bristol Beaufighter, the Spitfires Mk.I and V (old tooling) and the Spitfire Mk. I (new tooling). The Gloster Meteors Mk.I and III are also borderline WW2.

Italeri reboxes Hasegawa's P-51D and added Cartograf decals to make it a Mustang Mk.IV.

Eduard has also made a name of itself by providing accurate renditions of the Spitfires Mk.VIII, IX and XVI.

Speaking of British, how could I forget Airfix? They make the Spitfire Mk.I, Mk.V/V Trop, Hurricane Mk.I/Mk.I Trop, the Sea Hurricane Mk.I, the P-40 Tomahawk.

Hope this extensive list helps.

Edited by Sturmovik

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree but my reasoning was a little different. I was pointing the o/p towards the newer kit for one simple reason. I didn't want him to purchase/build the older kit. Only to then find a review stating that it isn't the best on its dimensions or was inaccurate. I didn't want the o/p to feel he had picked a lesser quality kit. 

Dennis

Thanks everyone for the advice looks like it’s going to be a Spitfire.

1 hour ago, Bryan71 said:

Thanks everyone for the advice looks like it’s going to be a Spitfire.

Good choice. I haven't built the new release Mk Ia yet but even the older version along with the Vb are absolute dreams to build and make for very attractive models.