Eastern express Su-17M4

phat trev

It is from the same original Pantera mould that is also used in the Mastercraft line of kits. You can expect heavy recessed panel lines that are not always straight, plastic woth a rough surface texture and pretty much nothing in terms of detail. Fit is definitely no Tamigawa....

The shapes are kind of ok but the rear fuselage is a mix between the Tumansky and Lyulka powered variants, so regardless of what variant you want to build you'll have to do some work if you want an accurate representation of the rear end with the various intakes.

In conclusion a basic kit, not without potential but that will need a lot of work.

For a cheap M4 I'd probably go for the Italeri kit (also reboxed by Bilek), that has different inaccuracies (the canopy probably the worst) but has a better plastic and surface detail, is better detailed and fits a bit better.

Of course for a really good Su-17 there's the Modelsvit kit, that is however in a different price league. The difference in price is IMHO deserved as this is a very nice kit, while the others are much less so, but not all modellers would be inclined to spend the kind of money Modelsvit asks.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 1:38 PM, phat trev said:

Thanks. The Italeri/Bilek version is the one to look for then! cheers

Sorry Giorgio, but I wouldn't.

The shape is wrong overall. I built this one from a SMER. The most noticable error with this and the Italeri/Bilek is the canopy. I used an aftermarket to correct it. It is a typical old style kit wih heavy, thick wings, wing fences etc, but you can sand them down to a degree.

Then I agree, Giorgio, the Modelsvit is the way to go!!!!! I have one in the pile, expecting it to be like their superb Su-7 ..... :)

Good luck!

Martin

su17z

brit1

• Like 2

Sorry, Trev, I confused you. The SMER is a different mould. In my view the better of the two. The Italeri looks like its eaten a few pies! ;). Apart from a slightly inaccurate spine (same on the Italeri) it is better. 

MartIn

10 minutes ago, phat trev said:

So the 1/72 SMER version is the same as the Italeri/bilek mould?

According to Scalemates the Smer kit is same as Pantera: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sm-r-0856-su-17-22m4--1166005

I also think the Modelsvit kit is so much better than Italeri/Bilek that it is well worth the extra cost. I thought the Italeri/Bilek moulding was very crude, with excessively thick wing trailing edges, ill fitting pylons, wide panel lines and oversized details.

Just note that Modelsvit has not released the 17M4 variant (yet), so a some conversion work from 17M3/17M3R is required. From top of my head I recall the 17M4 has an extra air intake in the vertical fin, and a large CRT display for the pilot. Not sure if there are other differences. Well, apart markings obviously.

2 hours ago, Apex said:

According to Scalemates the Smer kit is same as Pantera: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sm-r-0856-su-17-22m4--1166005

I also think the Modelsvit kit is so much better than Italeri/Bilek that it is well worth the extra cost. I thought the Italeri/Bilek moulding was very crude, with excessively thick wing trailing edges, ill fitting pylons, wide panel lines and oversized details.

Just note that Modelsvit has not released the 17M4 variant (yet), so a some conversion work from 17M3/17M3R is required. From top of my head I recall the 17M4 has an extra air intake in the vertical fin, and a large CRT display for the pilot. Not sure if there are other differences. Well, apart markings obviously.

Correct on all points, mate. Martin

Hi Martin

I agree that the Italeri kit is not particularly accurate and really is not a good modern kit, my view is however that for a modeller not interested much in accuracy it's a better choice than the various Pantera knockoffs. These are sure better in some area when it comes to accuracy (like the canopy) while being at the same time worse in other areas (like the rear fuselage). Most importantly though I find them are even worse in terms of mould quality and fit compared to the italeri offering.

Clearly the Modelsvit kits are way superior and today the best of the subject, but they are also expensive.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2019 at 9:58 AM, Giorgio N said:

For a cheap M4 I'd probably go for the Italeri kit (also reboxed by Bilek), that has different inaccuracies (the canopy probably the worst) but has a better plastic and surface detail, is better detailed and fits a bit better.

Yep, the canopy is really bad. Here's the Italeri canopy versus a Pavla vac canopy.

Rob

su17-07.jpg

su17-09.jpg

• Like 2