He-111H-6 Torp. 2/KG26, Grossetto, Italy. 1/48 Revell-Monogram

Hi Comrades!

Here is my recently finished Heinkel-111. It's old but good Monogram kit (Revell boxing) with Eduard brass, mix of Kagero and Peddinghaus decals, national insignia painted with Montex masks.

The main issue of the Monogram kit is inappropriate gondola configuration with blind forward end. I ignored it, sorry. After completing the model, I ordered ICM kit of H-20 and found a great additional clear part for the gondola - so sad for me...

Unneeded Lofte gunsight window was  faired over, some other modifications made to the undercarriage.

I was unable to find the photo of the prototype, but always wanted this one - now I have it!

Here are some pictures of interior (brass+scratch)

067.jpg

070.jpg

056.jpg

053.jpg

032.jpg

028.jpg

033.jpg

And the complete model

IMG-7686.jpg

IMG-7676.jpg

IMG-7669.jpg

IMG-7646.jpg

IMG-7631.jpg

IMG-7617.jpg

IMG-7697.jpg

Hope You like it and thanks for looking!

Edited by cema_ga
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

What paints did you use?

Thank You!

All paints - Gunze C-series

Edited by cema_ga
  • Thanks 1

Always a pleasure seeing a completed model of the 111, especially the Monogram/Revell kit, wich is still very good.

A Mediterranean based 111 is an all time favourite and yours does full justice. Very nice work overall. Just one small niggle, the location of the swastika is normally mid tail, below the rudder hinge... but I never saw a photo of this particular machine and exceptions do exist 

12 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

he location of the swastika is normally mid tail, below the rudder hinge... but I never saw a photo of this particular machine and exceptions do exist 

I agree,

I prefer to build the aircrafts with reference photos, but here I trusted to decal placement instruction. Anyway, most of the close future projects will be based on reference photos.

You have inspired me with this. I have the decals coming. When I get around to doing it I will do the faded paint scheme. Like the profile in the Kagero book He 111 vol.1. Also Luftwaffe Aerial Torpedo Aircraft and operations in WWII by Harold Thiele. It is a good book.

It has a more Sandy look which I like. The other thing is the Revell kit uses H-4 props. Blades which were narrower then the H-6 prop that used the wider blade. A lot of the 

He 111 torpedo bombers were H-4 & H-5 types. I might end up using the ICM kit which has the wide blades and the H-4 /H-5 with the Revell kit. These were mainly used on the Artic convoys. That might be a bit of a dream for me as I might never get to it. Still it is nice to think about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

That might be a bit of a dream for me as I might never get to it. Still it is nice to think about.

Thank You!

When You build the He-111 the main problem is to choose the paint scheme...Now I'm busy with choice between several grim  schemes for the H-20 or H-16 for my new ICM kit 🤨

17 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

Thank You!

When You build the He-111 the main problem is to choose the paint scheme...Now I'm busy with choice between several grim  schemes for the H-20 or H-16 for my new ICM kit 🤨

That's mean.... Right now I'm trying to stop myself buying the new ICM H-20. I Have the ICM H-3 and the H-6. I know I'm going to weaken. I really like the box art on the ICM kits. I will be build the ICM kit it would be good to read your build comparison with this one.

You can always use the V1 out of the Revell kit and make an H-22.

35 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

That's mean.... Right now I'm trying to stop myself buying the new ICM H-20. I Have the ICM H-3 and the H-6. I know I'm going to weaken. I really like the box art on the ICM kits. I will be build the ICM kit it would be good to read your build comparison with this one.

You can always use the V1 out of the Revell kit and make an H-22.

Just remember, from ICM H-20 boxing you can build H-20 and H-16 (And from H-16 boxing you can't build H-16 because of wrong clear parts). To get H-22, additionally to V-1 I must scratch the attachment mechanism - Monogram's pilon is totally wrong.

I believe to build my H-20 sometimes in 2020 (may be GB on He-111)

7 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

To get H-22, additionally to V-1 I must scratch the attachment mechanism - Monogram's pilon is totally wrong.

I bought the Kagero Top Drawing He 111 Volume 2 that features the H-22 so that I could correctly attach my V-1, however it does not clearly show the pylon or any feature of the cover over the tailplane that protected the tailplane from the pulse jet exhaust. :shrug: I was hoping that Monogram/Revell had got these features right. :wall:

Really nice detail work on the interior!  I imagine much might not be seen once the fuselage is closed up, but at least you have those photographs.  The finished model looks outstanding and I like it in that scheme.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

however it does not clearly show the pylon or any feature of the cover over the tailplane that protected the tailplane from the pulse jet exhaust.

I believe, this will be interesting  - here is some info about the V-1 attachment to 111
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/he-111h-22-question-t504721.html

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I was hoping that Monogram/Revell had got these features right

Exactly as wrong as:

-upper nose clear part (possible to correct, but sanding and polishing the clear part is pain and risk)

-wrong gondola  - possible to correct, but needs also the clear parts to be corrected

-pylon for V-1 - see link above

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Really nice detail work on the interior!  I imagine much might not be seen once the fuselage is closed up, but at least you have those photographs. 

Thank You!

On finished model possible to see just that interior not empty, small parts in the nose office are visible enough and adds a lot to OOB interior

1 hour ago, cema_ga said:

I believe, this will be interesting  - here is some info about the V-1 attachment to 111

Thank you, very interesting, especially the photo from in front of the He 111 with the V-1 attached, a lot of pre-shading and panel lining going on there. :wicked: Again the sheathing of the tail plane to protect from the V-1 exhaust is mentioned but no idea of what it actually  looked like.  Perhaps I should build a H-18 with Fug 200 radar antennae, call it an He 111 night fighter. :whistle: