1/72 Matchbox He115B-1 (with Revell re-issue transfers) 1/Küstenfliegergruppe 506

This is my fourth completion of 2019, the venerable but still respectable (at least in the absence of much in the way of competition) Matchbox Heinkel He115B floatplane, wearing the markings from the later Revell reissue of the kit for an aircraft of the first staffel of Küstenfliegergruppe 506 based in Norway as part of Luftflotte 5 in 1941:

DSCN0420.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0425.jpg

DSCN0427.jpg

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0432.jpg

I got the model quite cheaply off the well-known auction site and built it quickly (or as quickly as I could at least) partly as a trip down memory lane (which seems to have been redeveloped in the meantime as a cul-de-sac full of 4-bed Executive Homes) and partly just to try out the Luftwaffe Maritime colour scheme. It was built OOB with a couple of exceptions; the seated crew figures were replaced with Airfix pilots due to the loss of a leg on one of the original candidates, and the pitot tube was replaced with Albion Alloys micro-tubing so it looked less like the pitot salami provided in the kit. The R/T antenna wire was Infini White Rigging Thread, the 70 Denier size, anchored with a couple of tiny eyelets from Bob's Buckles which were intended for rigging 1/48 scale aircraft but have practical application in a less perverted scale as well :lol:  I used the Eduard canopy mask set which is still available though the kit itself is, I believe, not currently in Revell's range.

The paints used were Colourcoats ACLW12 RLM02 for the interior, ACLW03 RLM65 Hellblau for the underside and the uppersurface camouflage was ACLW04 RLM72 Grun and RLM05 RLM73 Grun. The Propellers and spinners were ACLW02 Schwarzgrun which is subtly different from the RLM73 but too subtly different for my camera to pick up, however I do want you to know that I made the effort :D 

The transfers were from the Revell re-issue of the kit which I had acquired at some distant point in the past, a remarkable act of foresight by Past Me. Generally they worked very well but the fuselage codes silvered quite badly, particularly on the port side, and no amount of Micro Sol completely eradicated this. So it goes. The final coat was Xtraflat varnish.

Build thread is here.

Thanks for your indulgence :cheers: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 56

You have done your usual fantastic work on this  stew!

i don’t know what you mean about the German colours, I don’t understand them. But I appreciate the lengths you have gone to to explain them and get it right, just for us 😃.

great work mate 👍🏻

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Thanks 1

I love Matchbox Stew :)

You've done a great job.

I got inspired to do one myself and then saw the extensive canopy which gives me frightful anxiety and then you mention there's a mask set ....yeah!!!!

Might try and find one of these old birds.....built most Matchbox when I was a wee lad but never built this fine floatplane

Cheers

Bruce

• Thanks 1

Nice one. I remember building this. Matchbox did some really interesting subjects.

Your paintwork is excellent and the traditional silvering of the fuselage codes just adds to the charm!

Ian

• Thanks 1

looking good. When the decals aren't sealed, apply the sol a few times and dap it with a flat brush "into" the model... I'd suggest Daco extra strong or strong, when familiar with these products, you don't want anything else...

• Thanks 1

That’s an excellent build Stew and just emphasises the fact that great kits can still be built from these classic models. I don’t have one of these, although do have an urge to tackle some of Matchbox’s lovely coloured plastic quite soon. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1