Mustang with a grin - Fuerza Aerea Dominicana

Christer A

I was not supposed to start another kit....

But here I am.

Again.

Oh well, it's a sharkmouth group build and I HAVE to participate!

No fancy Jukin Judy (a GWH P-61 will be built with that later on), nor a Grey Nurse (Spitfire VIII) or an Apache (A-36A!) this time but a rather more simple and "quick" build of an Airfix Mustang.

I intend to model this little beauty:

1726026-FAD-1900_a.jpg

I have the newish Airfix-kit and some decals from Aztek so everything is ready to go.

• Like 9

While doing research I discovered that it was converted to a two-seater with extra controls.

Hmmm, should forget about that fact right away or try to so something about it .

Time to ponder that for a while....

Christer,

I was also planning to do a Dominican Mustang and have been heart-searching about which one. I think the one you have pictured is a two-seater because there is no obvious pilot's armour. According to the Hagedoorn book they weren't all two-seaters. The one with the yellow nose on the Aztec sheet (1900) was a two-seater according to that book.

I was thinking about doing a single seater and just guess the nose colour. I'd like to do a blue or yellow one. Maybe some-one else on BM might have more info,

I shouldn't let this problem put you off the build,

Alan

23 hours ago, Christer A said:

I know all about this :(

You chose a very unique Mustang and looks to be a bit of a challenge to pint the camouflage in 1/72 scale. Double seater or not, it will look great when done.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Alan and Peter!

I think I can raid another Airfix kit for a Seat, stick and instrument panel. I can always buy a replacement resin cockpit for that one :)

This way,  I get to scratch a floor and other fun stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

I considered a Korean War Mustang with sharkmouth, but decided on the F-86'as I haven't built a jet for some time now..

I wasn't suppOsed to start another kit either, and the Airfix Spitfire XIV will be arriving soon!

John

• 2 months later...
On 8 May 2019 at 2:27 PM, Christer A said:

But here I am.

Again.

Oh well, it's a sharkmouth group build and I HAVE to participate!

No fancy Jukin Judy (a GWH P-61 will be built with that later on), nor a Grey Nurse (Spitfire VIII) or an Apache (A-36A!) this time but a rather more simple and "quick" build of an Airfix Mustang.

I intend to model this little beauty:

1726026-FAD-1900_a.jpg

I have the newish Airfix-kit and some decals from Aztek so everything is ready to go.

If you are still considering this one it was a single seater. I cant see the serial here but at the time of the photo it was not a two-seat. Maybe that helps you decision to build her?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Sorry!

I got really distracted by a deHavilland Hornet and never got around to start it.

Currently I don't have any plan to do so either, feeling a bit burned out on starting new kits but never getting around to finish them.

It IS a simple kit though and should be fairly quick but.....

• Sad 1